Local Labour Party members tighten the noose on Christopher Akers-Belcher

Started by DRiddle, November 10, 2018, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Proposed: Burn Valley Branch Labour Party, Hart Branch Labour Party, Headland & Harbour Branch Labour Party , Jesmond Branch Labour Party, Rural West Branch Labour Party, Seaton Branch Labour Party, Victoria Branch Labour Party.

I'm not acquainted with party procedure but I'm working on the principal that the elected Labour councillors decide who the leader is.  If that is the case and the constituency Labour councillors vote with their constituency wishes then the voting will be -

Burn Valley Branch Labour Party -  1 (Hunter)
Hart Branch Labour Party - 1 (Robinson)
Headland & Harbour Branch Labour Party- 1 (McLoughlin)
Jesmond Branch Labour Party - 2 (Murphy & Belcher) so that will be probably an abstention from Belcher
Rural West Branch Labour Party- 0
Seaton Branch Labour Party - 0
Victoria Branch Labour Party - 3 (Richardson, Truman, Hamilton) - could be 3 abstentions
That gives a total of 4 plus 4 abstentions

That leaves supporting CAB
Foggy Furze -3 (CAB, Cranney, Marshall)

Then we have the others
Fens & Rossmere - 1 (Lindridge) - could be political suicide if he supports CAB so probably an abstention
De Bruce - 3 (Thomas, Cook, Harrison)
Manor House - 3 (SAB, James, Barclay)

So that would give 4 supporting the motion and potentially 9 against with 5 abstentions

If my assumption regarding procedure is correct then CAB will probably see this through but leave the gate wide open for PHF & HIG for May 2019

DRiddle

There's a great screen grab of a tweet by CAB about all members acting on the wishes of their CLP doing the rounds on social media. Lol

mk1

The above is a reference to these incidents:

From Wiki
Eagle announced a leadership challenge to Corbyn on 11 July, saying that "Jeremy Corbyn is unable to provide the leadership this huge task needs. I believe I can". The following day a brick was thrown through a downstairs window at her constituency office address, and it was reported that her staff had stopped answering the telephones because of "abusive" calls. Her local party in Wallasey declared their support for Jeremy Corbyn as party leader "with an overwhelming majority" and proposed a vote of no-confidence in Eagle. This did not take place as the NEC decided to suspend all Labour constituency party meetings during the leadership election. Eagle herself received hundreds of abusive and homophobic messages at this time.

On Tuesday 19 July 2016, Eagle announced she was withdrawing from the leadership election and would back the other candidate opposing Corbyn, Owen Smith, who had received about 20 more nominations from MPs and MEPs than she had. "We need to have a strong and united party so we can be a good opposition, take the fight to the Conservative Government and heal our country. So I am announcing that I will be supporting Owen in that endeavour with all my enthusiasm and might," Eagle said in an interview.

With the support of Eagle, Wallasey Constituency Labour Party was suspended on 20 July 2016 over claims of bullying. It emerged on 21 July that the police have advised Eagle not to hold any open constituency surgeries over fears for her safety, advice which she has agreed to follow with regret.
An internal Labour Party investigation concerning complaints about incidents in Eagle's Constituency Labour Party and other events during her leadership campaign reported in October 2016. It confirmed that she had received homophobic abuse during a CLP annual general meeting earlier in the year. "It's highly likely that the brick thrown through the window of Angela Eagle's office was related to her leadership challenge". "The position of the window made it very unlikely that this was" an action of "a random passerby" and it "was directly between two Labour offices". The claim "that the building was occupied by many companies and the window was in an unrelated stairwell" was misleading as "the landlord had a number of companies registered there; in fact the only other occupant is the landlord on the upper floor".

And:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/angela-eagle-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-contest-no-confidence-vote-constituency-a7141196.html

This is the standard  Corbyn-worshippers reaction to anyone who dares stand up to them so if I were the SCABs I would start boarding up my windows and garage the car every night.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: DRiddle on November 11, 2018, 12: PM
this is from one of what I believe are several slightly different versions of the letter to Labour Party members.

Interesting you say that, is this a ploy by Labour to try and find potential leaks, circulate slightly different letters and see which one makes it's way into the public?

Guess that may fall down if multiple versions get out though haha.

DRiddle

I think each branch secretary might have responsibility for the text in their specific ward, hence the different text per ward.

diSme

If I had a direct choice or say in the matter,, regarding the installation of a new council leader, I would gladly back somebody with the integrity, transparency, and approachability of Mr Riddle, who has proven his personal and professional values time and time again.

Somebody of your ilk would be an absolute asset to have in the 'leadership' role of our council.
I believe everything and nothing

Owen Jones

Stig of the Seaton Dump

In passing, I happened upon Hartlepool Ambulance Charity today.

It appears to be supported by a number of Labour and Independent Councillors.
Interesting combination that party lines have been crossed and more interesting is who is not involved.
I assume there are no allowances or wages to be had going by the absence of certain names.
I don't believe it.

kevplumb

Quote from: diSme on November 14, 2018, 05: PM
If I had a direct choice or say in the matter,, regarding the installation of a new council leader, I would gladly back somebody with the integrity, transparency, and approachability of Mr Riddle, who has proven his personal and professional values time and time again.

Somebody of your ilk would be an absolute asset to have in the 'leadership' role of our council.

yup he would have a mountain to climb sorting the shambles the SCABS and their hangers-on have or would leave behind tho

my mother didn't write this post
unless there is a good medium handy  ::)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

UnknownUser

Quote from: diSme on November 14, 2018, 05: PM

Have you been smoking?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you, you know your nation is doomed.

Ayn Rand

DRiddle

Ignoring the trolls, I'm told the mail will be carrying the story I broke in their paper and on their online platforms tomorrow. The initial story about the motion of no
Confidence in CAB. No the recent one leaked to the bbc. Yet.

diSme

I believe everything and nothing

Disgruntled voter

Hartlepool council leader looking beige after carpet pulled from beneath his feet

DRiddle

It's not really a surprise that he's tried to playing the 'they're bullying me' card. Classic CAB behaviour which he has form for.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/hartlepool-labour-party-bids-to-oust-leader-in-vote-of-no-confidence-but-council-chief-claims-he-s-being-bullied-1-9446944

QuoteResponding to the motions, Coun Akers-Belcher said: "As has been reported in the national media, there is growing concern across the Labour Party that bullying behaviour is resulting in some political leaders being subject to personal attacks.

It's not a personal attack. They've just realised he's useless. Beyond useless, actually very damaging to their party. This is your CLP waking up and realising something that most people realised immediately.

And you should ALWAYS act on the wishes of your CLP... CAB said so much himself.