Bilsdale ...

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, August 21, 2021, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Looks like the repairs to the stricken Bilsdale transmitter have run into problems (again). Down Detector's reporting Freeview outages for local towns - including Hartlepool.

Inspector Knacker

After many years of paying ridiculous prices to Sky and Virgin I can wait a bit longer for my Freeview to return ;D
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 21, 2021, 09: PM
After many years of paying ridiculous prices to Sky and Virgin I can wait a bit longer for my Freeview to return ;D

I subscribe to the Radio Times ... but rarely watch TV ,,, c. an hour a week suffices. Must be crackers ...

diSme

I'm genuinely intrigued to find out how the fire actually started.

There appears to be no solid answer as yet ....

We have vermin media on our main telly, but we have a number of smaller TVs around the house that only use portable indoor aerials, and they're picking up only a few channels. And I've lost count of how many times I've been called by elderly neighbours/friends/relatives to do a retune!!!!
I believe everything and nothing

Lucy Lass-Tick

It was suggested that it may have been a lightning strike - but nothing confirmed.

diSme

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on August 26, 2021, 05: PM
It was suggested that it may have been a lightning strike - but nothing confirmed.
I heard that myself, but there were no lightning strikes in the area that day.

I'd be hard pushed to believe any story of arson/vandalism too, the site is so remote and difficult to get to, that just wouldn't make sense either.....

I suppose that it could have been some form of technical failure, but even that is a bit of a stretch to believe when you consider that the mast has ran without problems for ~50 years.... It does seem the most likely, however I would have thought that if it was a tech problem, it would be known about and announced already.....

As I said, intriguing.....

Inspector Knacker

The RAF are retiring their AWAC's aircraft with the huge rotating radome on the top.... might as well put a bid in and never need an aerial again.
Storage, cost, pilot training and a runway could prove problematical, but on the plus side I'll never miss Rumpole again. ;D

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 26, 2021, 07: PM
The RAF are retiring their AWAC's aircraft with the huge rotating radome on the top.... might as well put a bid in and never need an aerial again.
Storage, cost, pilot training and a runway could prove problematical, but on the plus side I'll never miss Rumpole again. ;D

I wish ... in the meanwhile we're stuffed! https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/service-updates/disruption-services-bilsdale-transmitter

diSme

The signal for all channels is still there, it's just a LOT weaker than previously.

I'm thinking of putting up a new aerial, and running the relevant cable work, just so I can have done with it. It's pissing me off now!!

notenoughsaid

When news of the fire was first broadcast on Look North it was clearly stated that work had been carried out a few days earlier (4 I think) Perhaps this could be linked to the cause., without blaming anybody in particular.

diSme

Quote from: notenoughsaid on August 27, 2021, 12: PM
  When news of the fire was first broadcast on Look North it was clearly stated that work had been carried out a few days earlier (4 I think) Perhaps this could be linked to the cause., without blaming anybody in particular.
I didn't know that. Was there any indication of what type of work was done?

notenoughsaid

Reply to diSme    --- Sorry I don't   know for certain but I seem to think  it was electrical related.    The blaze seemed  to be in the building at the base with smoke going up the inside of the mast.

diSme

Quote from: notenoughsaid on August 27, 2021, 02: PM
Reply to diSme    --- Sorry I don't   know for certain but I seem to think  it was electrical related.    The blaze seemed  to be in the building at the base with smoke going up the inside of the mast.
Cheers!! Some form of electrical fault does seem to be the most likely cause...

I'm not looking to aportion blame. I'm just curious as to the actual cause!! I know for certain it wasn't a lightning strike, which seems to be what many are saying.

Inspector Knacker

Finally got thirty channels and all are viewable.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 27, 2021, 08: PM
Finally got thirty channels and all are viewable.

Plenty of channels for me, too ... but nothing that's even remotely viewable. Having said that, the signal strength in my locality was always a bit duff. Will stick with the online stuff (for what little I watch). What does concern me, though, is those (maybe rather more elderly) who rely on the TV/radio for company but who aren't IT savvy.