A very small town.

Started by Inspector Knacker, May 09, 2021, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I saw a lady on TV during the election kerfuffle being interviewed about her new business opening, she referred to Hartlepool as a very small town. I beg to disagree, I've travelled the entire coastline of the UK and a lot of Ireland and I can assure you I know what a very small town looks like.
Is this a reflection of a mindset where a fair proportion of the town have that humble little old me mindset that holds us back? The acceptance of second best with a 'not for the likes of me' mentality?
You have to be ambitious for the town and putting yourself down doesn't help.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on May 09, 2021, 07: AM
I saw a lady on TV during the election kerfuffle being interviewed about her new business opening, she referred to Hartlepool as a very small town. I beg to disagree, I've travelled the entire coastline of the UK and a lot of Ireland and I can assure you I know what a very small town looks like.
Is this a reflection of a mindset where a fair proportion of the town have that humble little old me mindset that holds us back? The acceptance of second best with a 'not for the likes of me' mentality?
You have to be ambitious for the town and putting yourself down doesn't help.

Why did the skivvy in the TV comedy 'You rang M'lud' come to mind? The one who's offered table scraps and answers 'that would be nice' ...

Inspector Knacker

For many years we've had a Councillors who are happy to play second fiddle to other authorities, I suspect that was the case because they just weren't up to the job in the first place.
They love being world famous in Hartlepool... the irony being lost on them but the calibre of Councillor compared to years ago is dire. They concentrate on the minor, the parochial, the parish pump gossip and are happy to just chug along as a municipal second best. They have no grand vision, no aspiration for the town just happy to stick to the easy stuff and nod on demand..... because that's all they're capable of, I suspect it's totally and utterly beyond them.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.