Rocking Chair Councillors

Started by tankerville, April 14, 2013, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tankerville

I've noticed since being elected there are few if any 'all parties' Councillors that rarely or ever make an appearance in public.

It always seems to be a select few. But what about the rest?

I'm not aware of what or 'if' they contribute in Council but if it's anything like in the public domain it's NOT A LOT.

whatabouthisthen

Unfortunately there is a gagging order on Labour Councillors. Both Labour and Cons employ a three line whip - the voting supposedly agreed beforehand. Unfortunately, in our party political system, whips are needed but to employ one every time cannot be good and usually shows a lack of confidence in what is supposed to be the best way in the circumstances. :'(

steveL

There are quite a few councillors, on all sides, who really aren't that interested in the games going on in the Civic Centre. A lot of them are content to simply be 'ward councillors' trying to sort out issues for individual ward constituents. These can often be quite minor but important to the individuals affected so no one really gets to hear about them. You can only really judge when you yourself have to call on the help of your local councillor and then see how helpful they are. 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

for fawkes sake

There are quite a few councillors well thought of in their own wards but of whom you never hear anything.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."