The Transporter Bridge.

Started by Inspector Knacker, October 16, 2015, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I was amused at a recent local news feature which showed the refurbishment  of the bridge and its reopening.  I've been using it recently as a short cut for the past fortnight and discovered that it now starts at 7.15 and closes just after 6pm and even closes for lunch and all to carry a maximum of nine cars.
Which begs the question, why was money spent on something that's little more than an anachronistic novelty act that is 50 years past its sell date. A tunnel further downriver would open up the entire area, but that would by pass Middlesbrough and its geographical hub status and also eliminate the biggest piece of public sculpture masquerading as a bridge and their local icon, so no change there then.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

Considering the battle to get the A1 dualled up to Edinburgh I guess there is no chance of a car tunnel under the Tees.
Compare that to the 60-70 million pounds being spent on a folly garden bridge over the Thames you just know it is all about location location location.

testing times

Let's not forget the ridiculous rail loop to Thornaby in order to get to Middlesbrough.

steveL

Let's face it, we're not really 'connected' to Middlesbrough at all. To me, transport is a regional matter and the idea of someone sitting in Boro deciding on the future transport structure of Teesside City will only ever have one result.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: steveL on October 16, 2015, 08: AM
Let's face it, we're not really 'connected' to Middlesbrough at all. To me, transport is a regional matter and the idea of someone sitting in Boro deciding on the future transport structure of Teesside City will only ever have one result.
I remember when Cleveland County came into being travelling through to college in Middlesbrough. The ramshackle road system there was transformed, befitting the self appointed centre of the world as they knew it.
The standing joke was that if you wanted to know what Cleveland was spending our money, just pop through to Middlesbrough where it was all laid out for you to view.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.