Keith Dawkins Adopts Non Voting

Started by Jamescampbell78, April 06, 2014, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamescampbell78

Does Keith Dawkins refusal to vote on the licence extension application for Inspirations mean that he endorses non voting as a valid tactic?

DRiddle

James, you completely misunderstand how local politics works if you think it's as simple as that. The Mail will hopefully give you the full story this week.

Sanddancer

Jamescampbell78

Tongue in cheek David,

Don't pin any high hopes on the Mail either.

FWIW I don't see a problem with their licence extension. It's near the cemetary but they've served alcohol during the day for a long time when the crem and cemetary has peak operating hours without incident that I'm aware of and I'm sure that there wouldn't be many cemetary/crem users around after 9pm anyway?

It has a similar proximity to the cemy as Old Boys rugby club has to West View and I wouldn't expect the same sort of controversy if Old Boys made a later licence application.

Having been a customer there on a couple of occasions I can't see any issues based on the clientele and behaviour of the management. The tone is in no way disrespectful to their surroundings.

Surely there are far more controversial licence applications being made? There's certainly been far more dubious licence applications granted.

brassed off monkey

Not sure about your ability to measure Jamescambell....... But The Cafe in the Crem, is actually "Within" the boundary of Stranton Cemetery, & it isn`t just about the clientele`s drinking habits the possible playing of music within the cemetery is distasteful in the extreme.

I am far from being a wet blanket, but i doubt very much that any other developer that had applied for the same developoment in the same location would have gained planning permission for it.

This is a belt & braces exercise by The Mob, if the place looses money, it will be put on the market as a going concern public house.

Jamescampbell78

I don't know the detail on the music licence application but surely it could be stipulated that music musnt be of a volume that it can be heard from outside of the building?

It's not like it's a night club or anything.

dowager

".....It's not like it's a night club or anything....."

YET ...   the license is the attraction, just like all the pubs that have turned into mini-supermarkets ..... the license goes with the territory

EVERY other cafe the council is involved in loses money or closes, this one will be no different , therefore, you HAVE to look to the future ...

Jamescampbell78

I appreciate it sets a precedent and also makes the premises more marketable.

I don't imagine Inspirations is raking cash in and potentially this is a tactic as part of an exit strategy but surely you can set restrictions around the licence to keep the tone of the premises appropriate to its location regardless of owner?

DRiddle

People can pontificate and cyber chat about this all they want.

The fact is the Labour council built a 'pub' by stealth in a cemetery with tax payers money.

It's sick.

End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

HarryBlackwood

Could someone from PHF (or anyone else) please confirm that Dawkins did NOT vote and WALKED OUT of the meeting?

Let's see what the forum censors do with this one.

Pwilson

The whole idea of the inspirations cafe was a stupid one.

Had me, or anyone else wanted to open it we would have been told no, unless we had the appropriate level of leverage other developers seem to have.

But then again, if me or anyone else opened a business that wasn't able to turn a profit we would admit defeat.

The council have shown time & time again they cannot run businesses or even municipal facilities in a decent manner. Yet they're allowed to keep wasting money and delivering substandard services and those in charge know it doesn't matter.

DRiddle

Totally agree PWilson.

It was predicted on here before it even happened.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/index.php/columnists/joe-hudson/25-columnists/127-money-to-burn

Everything but the decision to essentially turn it into a pub that is...

HarryBlackwood

Quote from: HarryBlackwood on April 07, 2014, 11: AM
Could someone from PHF (or anyone else) please confirm that Dawkins did NOT vote and WALKED OUT of the meeting?

Let's see what the forum censors do with this one.

Mr Riddle?

Jamescampbell78

David Riddle,

Looks like you've missed this question.

The Great Dictator

Not much point of him being on the council if he doesn't vote ?