Local Elections - May 5th

Started by Foggy, April 08, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggy

Its a shame about Foggy Furze. I just wonder if the 'quote' from the good doctor made a difference. Although, I think what annoys me more is that 268 people voted for a fake Tory candidate who made absolutely no effort to campaign and had no intention of being a Councillor. He didn't even use his real name for god sake. What is wrong with people??

I hope Darren Price will have another go in two years time as its Kaylee Sirs turn.... There's another useless one.  ::)

I bet nothing is done about the Burn Valley situation. It wouldn't surprise me if the Labour candidate in question is desperately trying to rent a property in the ward as we speak.

DRiddle

I think another good thing to come out of tonight is its proved what many on here have thought for a while. That being Labour are vulnerable and beatable in every ward aside from Manor and De Bruce.

Any other ward either HAS been won, or has very nearly been won by a non-labour councillor in recent years.

The Tories are safe in Rural West obviously, but there are 24 seats which can be won by basically anyone who campaigns hard.

The Labour councillors due for re-election in 2018 need to get their heads together and change their leader or that 21 will be in the teens by 2018.

Foggy

I bet some of the current Labour Councillors were praying that CAB lost his seat. Question now is.. Which one will dare stick their head above the parapet and stand up for what's right?? Or will they just be happy with more of the same for the next 4 years and keep their mouth shut. I know which option is most likely but I would love to be proved wrong.

This interview amused me:

https://audioboom.com/boos/4528458-audio-labour-s-20-year-old-candidate-shay-miah

Shay Miah basically said he didn't bother campaigning in Rural West as it was an unwinnable seat and compared it to climbing Everest. I welcome his honesty but I'm not sure how the 264 people who voted for him would feel about his attitude towards the ward.

Hartlepudlion

If the challenge is upheld, then it should go to the next candidate.

And what about the cost of a rerun? If Labour are to be believed about the drastic effects on public services, how can they justify the cost of a bye-election? But then, when have they considered the CT payers of Hartlepool? Just add another 2% to the bill. They still believe the public purse is bottomless.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

So now we know what Labour mean by "A fairer deal for Burn Valley Ward". Has anyone checked that he is actually a member of the Labour Party ? I suspect not.
The biggest disappointment of the night has to be the level of turnout. I suspect it is less than 50% but does anyone have the actual figures ? I keep looking in the NOED to see if Majority has been re-defined, but no change yet.

steveL

50%??   Dream on   ::)  I think 18 - 20% is the norm in locals
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

daswo999

Good morning everyone - this is my first post - I lived in the town for 31 years and now live away however it is my home town and I defend it diligently and my first point of call each morning is the Fail and Hartlepool Post sites.

I simply do not understand how the SCAB's can have been re-elected. It seems inconceivable to me as an outsider looking in and clearly I am not going to accuse anyone of anything illegal however I would be interested in the number of postal votes received in each of the SCAB's elections and if possible would like to know if the voting pattern of the postal votes mimicked the voting pattern in general on the day _ the cynic in me would suggest that I believe that the postal vote would be heavily weighted to SCAB vote - am I wrong?

Is this something that could be found out via a Freedom of Information request?

The Great Dictator

Riddle should probably resign too, outside last nights venue he called a member of the public a   f....g    a......e   in front of witnesses and was spoken too by the police.

We talk about Cranney being a dick but he's no better, he contributes very little and takes plenty, i expect more from a serving member.

Devils advocate

Quote from: mk1 on May 05, 2016, 02: PM
Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on May 05, 2016, 09: AM

. You have to vote but they tell you who you are voting for before you go and the voting papers are already completed when you get to the polling station.
Perhaps this country should look at going down the compulsory voting route. I know which variety would be favourite in this town.

The Labour group are quite happy with the system in place where wardens in all the old folks homes  make sure all postal ballot forms  are delivered to the Labour ward candidate for him/her to fill in. So much easier if mummy runs the place as well!

Proof?

Lord Elpus

Alison and I were sorting through some papers this morning.  Some of them were old Labour Party leaflets, one that stood out was from Bill Isley reminding the electorate that he was happy to personally collect their postal vote papers from them at any time.

Nowt's changed, bending/breaking the rules to Labours advantage is ingrained within the senior Party Officers.

DRiddle

I think you'll find I was spoken to be a police officer who asked me if I was ok as a member of the public attempted to literally shove his business card down the collar of my shirt. The police officer (who witnessed this) then spoke to the person in question. His only words to me were "Are you ok?" and "I'll speak to him" (him being the other person).

No drama here.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

HarmonyPeace

I wonder if Darren had stood as an Independent or even PHF (as he did last time) he would have won. I voted for Darren even though I wouldn't normally vote ukip, there was no way I would vote labour or cons and not voting wasn't an option. It could be that some who voted cons did so because they wouldn't vote ukip or labour. Lets hope we see a change in the next local elections.

steveL

Yes I noticed you sat next to Fraser last night having a good chat. Are you his latest friend?

fred c

The question surrounding the qualification or not, of labours candidate in Burn Valley, could provide UKIP, now the towns second largest party with an opportunity to start off with a bit of a bang, especially as the UKIP candidate finished second in the election.

Will there leader be knocking on the MO's door anytime soon ?