Local Elections - May 5th

Started by Foggy, April 08, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Phil

I was concerned at the number of candidates for the Seaton ward but have only had leaflets to Sue Lttle and PHF.

Unfortunately they both make good reading and risk splitting the vote.

Foggy

Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting. Seaton and Hart could go anywhere and getting the right result in Foggy Furze is crucial. Good luck Darren Price  ;)

I am trying not to be too optimistic after what happened last year but the 2014 results give some cause for a little hope. Just to remind anyone that needs reminding:

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2014/78/

The key thing is where the PHF vote will go (apart from Seaton obviously). I think we know where it won't go but will those voters opt for an alternative or just abstain?

Hartlepudlion

Any sign of Labour activists being out in certain wards urging people to vote? It's against the rules if done close to a polling station. But, hey, rules don't apply to the 'invinceables' or should that be 'untouchables' ? I certainly wouldn't want to touch them!

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: marky on May 04, 2016, 07: PM
I reckon the thing people will be most talking about on Friday is the pathetically low turn out. Politicians might be bad but the general public is a disgrace.

Some countries have compulsory voting... you can choose who you want, but you must choose. Other countries make it simple for you. You have to vote but they tell you who you are voting for before you go and the voting papers are already completed when you get to the poling station.
Perhaps this country should look at going down the compulsory voting route. I know which variety would be favourite in this town.

steveL

People live in their own personal bubbles these days. I doubt the level of interest for a lot of people extends beyond around 9ft.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Foggy

I agree Steve.  When I try to talk to some people about the local elections and the goings on in the council you can see their eyes glazing over and they look at me like I'm slightly mad.  But I try anyway.

I've been to vote this morning.  There was only one other person there, an elderly lady who is seems couldn't vote anyway as she had already sent a postal vote a few weeks ago.  Although she didn't fully recall doing it, she did get one thing right... as she left she said "They all want throwing out so we can start again".  ;D

Correction:  She got it almost right.... three current Councillors can stay but the rest are a waste of space   ;)

mk1

Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on May 05, 2016, 09: AM

. You have to vote but they tell you who you are voting for before you go and the voting papers are already completed when you get to the polling station.
Perhaps this country should look at going down the compulsory voting route. I know which variety would be favourite in this town.

The Labour group are quite happy with the system in place where wardens in all the old folks homes  make sure all postal ballot forms  are delivered to the Labour ward candidate for him/her to fill in. So much easier if mummy runs the place as well!

fred c

Rumour has it that Cwissy has a 'Piper'  out rallying support in Foggy..... i hope he uses it near a polling station.... it could then be considering electioneering & thats very nawty....

It also looks as though the police will be investigating the Tories for the election expense fiddling.... if they do it could possibly apply here with a mob candidate

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Mr. Barclay is keeping himself busy. Staggered along Belmont Gardens with his clipboard and satchel, knocking on selected doors as he went. He called in at the Poling Station in Eldon Grove and was last seen heading for St. Matthews Hall in Elwick Road. Is their defense going to be that he wasn't campaigning in his own ward ?

DRiddle

I spotted him earlier prowling around Eamont Gardens. I had to look twice, I thought it was a tramp.

Heknocks68

The guy ( think I spelt it right) just loves to be talked about, he revels in it, not bad for a lad on his forces pension (due to discharging a flashbang in a confined space) who only stood as a so called councilor to top it up, look at the good he brought to the RAOB, diminished it beyond recognition with a little help from other outsiders, all round good guy, who could say otherwise hey, technicolour dreamcoat.

Johnny Bongo

I saw Carl Richardson, notepad in hand, talking on his mobile, outside the Supporters Club in Duke street at approx 5.50 pm.  Over the last few days, I've noticed Carl, with a gang of saddos, in Murray street, Barclay and a gang up the Manor (I think!) and the gruesome twosome (Scabs) in Kingsley Avenue.  The whole lot of them seem to be worried and rightly so....let's just hope their worries come true! ;D

Foggy

Fingers crossed. I daren't say anymore.  :-X

Will anyone be reporting back from the count tonight?... and what time are the results expected roughly?

Foggy

He is so 'settled' he has big 'vote Labour' signs up in his front window  ::)

Land Phil

The picture is as honest as he is.