northern train timetable changes in mid may will cost hartlepool users more

Started by pieface, April 24, 2018, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieface

Beware cunning northern train timetable changes in May will  cost hartlepool users a lot more. The current 09:02 service to Newcastle is changing to leave before 09:00 on 20th May onwards so it will cost you the peak rate fare from then not off peak as it does now.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: pieface on April 24, 2018, 07: PM
Beware cunning northern train timetable changes in May will  cost hartlepool users a lot more. The current 09:02 service to Newcastle is changing to leave before 09:00 on 20th May onwards so it will cost you the peak rate fare from then not off peak as it does now.

Bit naughty?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on April 24, 2018, 09: PM
Quote from: pieface on April 24, 2018, 07: PM

Bit naughty?

It is, if it is a few minutes late.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

Pity there's no alternative. Even Billingham and Peterlee have an hourly express service to Newscastle. In fact nearly everywhere in the North East does apart from Hartlepool.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

I wonder how far down the list Rail Services are for the SCABAL, who ironically have First Class tickets available to them or HBC1 to ferry them about in the local area...... :o

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 25, 2018, 07: AM
Pity there's no alternative. Even Billingham and Peterlee have an hourly express service to Newscastle. In fact nearly everywhere in the North East does apart from Hartlepool.

We do have a connection to the Teesside Xpress bus service-we just have to get the slow bus to Peterlee to get to it!
The timetables 'boast' of this direct service from Hartlepool.  You spend half an hour on a slow bus to Peterlee and then if the bus from Hartlepool is not running  late you can connect at their bus station. If it is late then you wait another hour for the next 'fast' bus.
I don't think the train timetable change is a deliberate ploy to get higher fares more a case of they set the timetables without any regard to the people of Hartlepool because we do not have a 'Transport Champion' or indeed any Councillor who gives  a flying feck about any form of Public Transport. Why should they when they have one of the highest Milage allowances of any council in the UK.
One only need to  look at the Bus Station with hardly any busses for confirmation of their myopia in this area.
Talking of busses I had the misfortune to get on a Number 3 bus from King Oswy the other day and the journey was so convoluted I gave up on Hart Lane and  got off to walk into the town. It must be the longest journey in the town and tasked with  doubling back over itself as many times as possible rather than delivering you swiftly from point A to point B.

Inspector Knacker

Our council was one of the first to cut bus subsidies. What I can't comprehend is why they'd do something that would damage their own electorate. Just what was the purpose, to tell your voters it's all down to the government cuts, because othe Labour councils didn't jump in do quickly.
Visiting your husband in hospital, bus pas, no car, can't afford the taxi fare daily?
Well there's not many buses after six to get, so tough.
Trouble is, public transport is going to go into decline because it becomes unreliable, constantly changing and more expensive. It needs reviewing in Hartlepool but leaving that in the hands of the people who brought us Tumbleweed Junction and people who are strangers to public transport offers little hope.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 25, 2018, 01: PM
Our council was one of the first to cut bus subsidies. What I can't comprehend is why they'd do something that would damage their own electorate. Just what was the purpose, to tell your voters it's all down to the government cuts, because othe Labour councils didn't jump in do quickly.
Visiting your husband in hospital, bus pas, no car, can't afford the taxi fare daily?
Well there's not many buses after six to get, so tough.
Trouble is, public transport is going to go into decline because it becomes unreliable, constantly changing and more expensive. It needs reviewing in Hartlepool but leaving that in the hands of the people who brought us Tumbleweed Junction and people who are strangers to public transport offers little hope.
According to a FOI request Hartlepool BC does not provided funding support for any bus companies, so we are at the mercy of Stagecoach who, as a Shareholder Company, operate only those routes that are seen as profitable.

Inspector Knacker

Before privatisation of bus services there was a choice of ways to travel to Middlesbrough by different bus companies. Now it's just Stagecoach. So much for competition.
I still fon't u derby and why a Labour Council would make life worse for it's voters by scrapping the subsidy, yet can speculate on other projects that shouldn't be the business of councils.

pieface

Quote from: mk1 on April 25, 2018, 10: AM

I don't think the train timetable change is a deliberate ploy to get higher fares more a case of they set the timetables without any regard to the people of Hartlepool because we do not have a 'Transport Champion' or indeed any Councillor who gives  a flying feck about any form of Public Transport. Why should they when they have one of the highest Milage allowances of any council in the UK.

Of course it is a deliberate ploy. That service when it runs has always departed after 9am for at least 20 years. Miraculously the hourly trains which depart throughout the day after that one have not moved to  before each hour they are still the same departing shortly after the hour!