How to use Remembrance Day to make a cheap political point

Started by mk1, November 15, 2017, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Hill in The Mail last Thursday:

AS we remember those who sacrificed their lives, we might like to reflect on the Representation of the People (Young People's Enfranchisement and Education) Bill. It's quite a mouthful but in a nutshell, it's an attempt to give 16-year-olds the right to vote. This Bill, sponsored by Jim McMahon, aims to reduce the voting age for Parliamentary elections to the House of Commons from 18 to 16 years. This Bill did not have time to complete its Second Reading, and is currently scheduled to resume debate on December 1. I sincerely hope the voting age is reduced as any reasons to retain the current legal age are truly spurious. Indeed, some of the reasons being given are laughable; akin to reasons given when women were given the vote. The young people of today are far better educated and informed than Arthur Leonard Brown would have been when the poor lad died for his country. I see no legitimate reason why the age shouldn't be lowered. I'd suggest that those on the Tory benches give due consideration to this matter. They might particularly like to reflect that the average age of a Conservative Party member is 73.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/opinion/mike-hill-mp-remember-the-victims-of-war-this-sunday-1-8846567

Not only is it partisan it is untruthful.
There is a Fact Checking site that has looked into the 'average age of a Conservative Party member is 73' claim and it concludes it is  incorrect.

https://fullfact.org/news/how-old-average-conservative-party-member/

In fact the average age of Party Members is given as:

Conservative = 57
SNP = 54
Lab = 53
Liberal = 52

Also the legal age for a soldier in 1914 was 18 to sign up and 19  to be sent overseas. Currently it is possible to enlist at 16 with the written consent of parents but no one under 18 can be deployed on operations. Hill's implied claim of 16 year-olds being old enough to die for their country but not to be able to vote  is another  illustration of his ignorance.

Arthur Leonard Brown was a Hartlepool born (but living in Cardiff)Mess Room Steward who died when his ship was sunk by U53 in Feb 1919 aged 14.

fred c

The article is both distasteful and unseemly to say the least, political point scoring at a time of National Remembrance is completely beyond the pale, he should be ashamed of himself for stooping to this level.

The clamour for a reduction in the voting age may have merit, but it needs to be backed up with solid evidence that 16 year olds understand the democratic process and all that it entails, I cant say I am surprised that Corbyns Labour have this item high on there agenda........ promise kids the earth and the chances are, they will vote for the proposer

As for the distortion of the facts, that is something Hartlepool Labour are well acquainted with, it's a pity The Mail can't be bothered to actually research what they actually print.... I suppose that's as a consequence of copying and pasting council press releases verbatim for so long.

Inspector Knacker

The average 16 year old is usually indifferent to politics. The sort who are, are the sort of kids who'd want to be a chartered accountant when they were four. Monotone Mick is just a very boring party apparatchik churning out the same old tosh. Hugely inspiring if you're a Wolfie Smith, dull as a beige wall if you're anyone else.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on November 16, 2017, 06: AM
The average 16 year old is usually indifferent to politics. The sort who are, are the sort of kids who'd want to be a chartered accountant when they were four. Monotone Mick is just a very boring party apparatchik churning out the same old tosh. Hugely inspiring if you're a Wolfie Smith, dull as a beige wall if you're anyone else.
Liked the connection there - Monotone Mick - Wolfie Smith - Tooting - The Good Doctor