Church Street 'Restoration' Plan Mk 1

Started by mk1, June 28, 2018, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

at present up to Church Street Restoration Mk IX

From 1990s

You could simply change the wording so 'Coun. Ferriday'  reads 'Council Leader Christopher Akers-Belcher' and post that on Facebook today.  Within seconds sycophants  Julie, Anth (twice-once as Doc Pothole), Ann, Jason et al would be piling on the 'likes'

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

mk1

If the then Council was claiming the credit for the 'Free Parking' & Woolworths and M&S being the cornerstone of the Centre's 'success' should not the current Council be blamed for the Parking Charges and the  failure of Woolworths & M&S?

Mail 1970:

Inspector Knacker

Who'd buy a shopping centre and leave the parking with the local authority? Madness.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Heknocks68

Nothing wrong with it.
Hartlepool, grid locked.
Holes in roads/tracks everywhere,
Optical illusions, au natural
Footpaths? Said in gest
On the level? Do one
Representing the people? REALLY
Putting something back into the town? Nowt tekin out then
Public transport, daylight hours, sometimes
Backup transport (taxi) so long as theres no footy on
I need a cab at 19:00hrs, 10 to or 10 past, err no, the customer (paying) said 19:00, sorry, no can do.
So lets take the positives, the odd bus (service?) Knocks off early.
The alternative public transport cant deliver when the customer needs it.
Tees Valley Cleveland, connect, how many unused stops.
The rains will be back soon, assisted by the local wind from within.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

When I lived in Edinburgh the council spent millions trying to sort out the cobbles on the Royal Mile and failed big time. They are just not compatible with modern traffic.

Hartlepool knows better ?
I don't believe it.

mk1

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on June 28, 2018, 10: PM
When I lived in Edinburgh the council spent millions trying to sort out the cobbles on the Royal Mile and failed big time. They are just not compatible with modern traffic.

Hartlepool knows better ?

They already know the problems. They relaid  the blocks outside the Civic at least twice because of sinkage and in the end gave up and replaced them with tarmac.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Heknocks68 on June 28, 2018, 08: PM
Nothing wrong with it.
Hartlepool, grid locked.
Holes in roads/tracks everywhere,
Optical illusions, au natural
Footpaths? Said in gest
On the level? Do one
Representing the people? REALLY
Putting something back into the town? Nowt tekin out then
Public transport, daylight hours, sometimes
Backup transport (taxi) so long as theres no footy on
I need a cab at 19:00hrs, 10 to or 10 past, err no, the customer (paying) said 19:00, sorry, no can do.
So lets take the positives, the odd bus (service?) Knocks off early.
The alternative public transport cant deliver when the customer needs it.
Tees Valley Cleveland, connect, how many unused stops.
The rains will be back soon, assisted by the local wind from within.
Public transport is now all talk and presentations and you have a job getting a bus anywhere after tea time and this is progress? Really?
I read recently that there are 31 buses in the Stagecoach depot, yet in the 1980's there were 76.
Odd how when bus services started being privatised in the mid 80's there was no reversal of this by Blairs Labour govt.
How do services the in the 80's compare with today's 'service' both into town and out of town. Is Hartlepool the only place without an hourly service to Newcastle for instance, Billingham and Peterlee do.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on June 29, 2018, 07: AM
Is Hartlepool the only place without an hourly service to Newcastle for instance, Billingham and Peterlee do.

Peterlee has 2 Newcastle direct busses (from 'Boro) an hour. 1 of them is classed as a Hartlepool 'connection' because you get the bus from Hartlepool and connect with it to get to Newcastle-after taking 30 mins to get to Peterlee in the first place.
Plenty of Durham busses from Hartlepool but all take 70-90 mins. Sunderland is claimed to be a 70 min journey but 3 out of every 4 busses run well over that time. 80-90 mins would be the average.
Stagecoach used to run a couple of Saturday busses direct to Newcastle taking 60 mins but I believe they have  stopped it.
Hartlepool has to be the worst served town in the North East and they blockheads on the Council do not make any attempt to  keep what busses we have or get involved in talks about new routes. They just do not care at all and the bus and train firms  just walk all over them.

Inspector Knacker

Within a year of the council bus fleet being sold off, I had to buy a car. I'd had one on and off, but from that time I have always had a car.
Some bus company's are clueless and continually blame passengers for declining usage of their services. They never seem to look at what their customers require. Changes, high fares, service cuts etc, etc and compounded by a council ignorant on all aspects of public transport provision that drive me to despair.
Cause and effect, 'use it or lose it' threats don't work.

SRMoore

Taken from Ben Houchen's official Mayors Facebook page.

**Should we start regulating our bus network?**

People rightly demand that our bus network should be modern, accessible, affordable, and everyone should be able to use it. Not everyone uses a car, so it is vital that our buses play a fuller role in connecting people with jobs, housing, education, healthcare, shops, family and friends.

That's why, this morning, I've instructed my officials at the Tees Valley Mayoral Authority to start a thorough investigation into whether something called 'franchising' is the best option for our local bus network.

Under bus franchising, operators would only able to provide services under contract to the authority. This approach is used extensively across Europe, in London and elsewhere as it offers a range of significant advantages  – such as integrated ticketing, route planning, cross subsidy across bus services, consistent branding and a clear line of accountability.

Under the bus franchising system in London, for example, the Mayor specifies what bus services are to be provided. He decides the routes, timetables, fares. I am now keen to understand whether a similar system could be established in the Tees Valley.

This isn't about putting the buses in public hands, but looking at whether a regulated system like many cities would work for us too. With this this initial assessment, we will be moving ahead with the powers we have to look at re-regulating the buses so they work for the people.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/london-style-bus-network-teesside-14832986

jeffh

Wasn't this system proposed for Newcastle?  I believe Stagecoach threatened to walk away from the City if it went ahead.

What our Big Mayor needs to realise is that London operates a multi transport type system (Bus, Tube & Rail) and restricts traffic into London by congestion charging and there a lot more passengers involved.

Our lot would probably increase car parking charges to try to force people onto Public Transport - though I seem to remember that when it was proposed by Paul Thompson they relinquish their own free parking they voted it down.

Hartlepool BC sold out to Stagecoach a long time ago then over the years reduced the subsidies - in those days the council was subsidising their own buses and let Stagecoach have it to save money - what did they think was going to happen?

Inspector Knacker

If they did have franchising and decided on routes, it would be their chance to prove the 'interchange' was a brilliant idea after all and probably base all routes on the Tumbleweed Junction, because the clueless planners (who generally are car users and may live out of town anyway) and worst of all the Politicians, will need to prove they were right all along.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on June 29, 2018, 12: PM
If they did have franchising and decided on routes, it would be their chance to prove the 'interchange' was a brilliant idea after all and probably base all routes on the Tumbleweed Junction, because the clueless planners (who generally are car users and may live out of town anyway) and worst of all the Politicians, will need to prove they were right all along.

And that never-ending self justification results in a spiral of ill-judged decisions.