Foster's At It Again

Started by steveL, February 21, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Alan Foster is highlighting the gap between the amount of funding provided by NHS Tees for the trust to commission community health services in Hartlepool and Stockton. He describes funding in the two towns as "inequitable" -  it works out that Stockton gets less per person.

In April, when the new clinical commissioning groups replace primary care trusts, the money will come from a single pot and it looks like Foster sees this as an opportunity for the funding balance to be made 'more equitable' by shifting some funding to Stockton.

"When you compare what's spent in Hartlepool and Stockton, it's inequitable. We have more budget transfer from Hartlepool than Stockton and I think the figures here bear this out."

Ali Wilson, chief officer of NHS Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees Clinical Commissioning Group, told the Mail: "While the NHS trust provides services across Hartlepool and Stockton, the community services in Hartlepool and Stockton have in the past been commissioned by two separate Primary Care Trusts.

"As each PCT has had different service priorities, historically different community and related services and a different budget, this has led to some differences in the services commissioned from the trust.

"However NHS Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees CCG over the last year has been listening carefully to what local people and local clinicians consider to be priorities for community services.

"We have therefore been working closely with the trust to redefine the range of services and service outcomes required for the whole of Hartlepool and Stockton populations.

"From April there will be a single budget to fund the services and required outcomes across the area. This will clearly result in greater equity in service provision and improved health outcomes."

Note the Quango-speak,"This will clearly result in greater equity in service provision and improved health outcomes." . . . translated this becomes, "there's an opportunity here to redirect some of the money currently spent in Hartlepool to Stockton."

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/community-health-funding-inequitable-1-5431567
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

whatabouthisthen

It was before my time in the town but who merged the H'pool and Stockton hospitals?

SRMoore

Bryan Hanson OBE was one of the main cheerleaders for merging Hartlepool With North Tees. Was made Chairman of North Tees and Hartlepool Trust for his work.

steveL

I thought this was Russell Hart who was Chairman of the Hartlepool Trust before it merged. I remember a big fuss when Hartlepool first gained foundation status as its first action as a Trust was to increase Hart's salary for the part-time position (2 days a week) from £20,000 to £50,000 a year.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

norfolkngoode

Russell Hart, that name is a bit of a blast from the past....
As I remember he was forever in the mail, never missing a photo oportunity.....
Excuse my ignorance but what happened to him?
'They don't like it up em'

DRiddle

Inspector Knacker

So, they're talking of levelling things up between the people of Hartlepool anf Stockton, all in the interests of fair play dontcha know
OK, I can buy into that.
Right , can we have a fully  functioning hospital back, just like the one  they've got.....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

SRMoore

Quote from: steveL on February 21, 2013, 06: PM
I thought this was Russell Hart who was Chairman of the Hartlepool Trust before it merged. I remember a big fuss when Hartlepool first gained foundation status as its first action as a Trust was to increase Hart's salary for the part-time position (2 days a week) from £20,000 to £50,000 a year.

According to the hard version of this story http://m.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/tributes-paid-to-great-leader-1-5428862 it was Mr Hanson. Anybody still got a copy they can quote? I left mine at work.