Council Tax Freeze

Started by steveL, February 16, 2013, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

I've been a little puzzled why our Labour friends appear to have changed their minds rather belatedly over the council tax freeze. Up until recently, they were all for raising council tax by the maximum they could get away with without prompting a referendum.

I believe I may have found the answer with the news that Rutland, the only remaining local authority charging a higher council tax than Hartlepool, decided to freeze its own council tax. Had Hartlepool opted to go for an increase then there was a very real danger that the town would finally gain that Number 1 slot.

Funny ol' world, init?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

whatabouthisthen

I hear that H'pool has been given the accolade (!) of having the cheapest house for sale in the UK (£2400 - in need of some TLC ) and the highest Council Tax.

SRMoore

I'd like to think that it had something to do with me constantly(and publicly) calling on them to accept calls from the Tories to freeze council tax for those struggling to pay one of the highest in the country.

Apparently though I'd be "deluding" myself if I thought that I [or anyone other than a Labourite] had "any influence in the decision making process in Hartlepool".

for fawkes sake

An interesting situation in the making. I've always thought that Labour had little interest in the council tax as a large proportion of their own voters didn't have to pay it. Now many of those Labour voters will have to pay something, perhaps for the first time. I don't support the change myself; just another nasty move by the nasty party, but it's interesting that it would have been even more if the level of council tax had been increased.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

fred c

Cllr Hall has a different slant on the council tax paid by Hartlepools ratepayers, he explained during Thursdays Meeting, in a voice that jumped up a couple of octaves that Hartlepool isn`t as bad as the nasty people on a local website make it out to be........

I could`nt determine if it was the B*ll*x he was talking, or the wedgie in his Y Fronts that was responsible for the high pitched voice.

He really does look lonely sitting in the front row without his chums.....Never mind wheres Wally............ Wheres Marj & Angie ???