Two Faced Enquiry ?

Started by Stig of the Seaton Dump, February 16, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

Quote from: DRiddle on February 17, 2013, 07: PM
Quick question from me, well not 'quick', my questions rarely are. Anyway, in terms of the 4 party 'leaders' (Conservative, Labour, PHF and indys) discussing the choice of chairman, given that the initial inquiry Councillor Lilley requested was to go back 5 years, surely there should be some input from the Lib Dems as they have had councillors in post in that time?

Or is it appropriate that the political party in 'co-charge' of running the country-ish are denied any say?

More importantly, am i right in thinking that Councillor Thompson declined to be the INDY 'leader' because he is manager/director of an organisation that recieves funding from HBC, and in declining to be involved he was essentially declaring an interest? That's right isn't it? Because if so... surely any other party leader in the same boat should have done the same... right?

If the Lib Dems are asked to contribute to the inquiry I am sure they would but thats very unlikely.

DRiddle

With respect Vincent, sitting around waiting to be asked won't achieve anything. Your party (assuming you're a Liberal Democrat) have had seats on that council over recent years. Potentially, you'll have seats there in the future, although that could be a long way off.

In my opinion, you should be approaching Mr Devlin and asking to be involved. Unless of course the tactic from the Liberals is to keep well away from it all and distance yourselves from any potential fallout?

Vincent

Lets wait and see when the inquiry is set up

Like I said if Mr Devin or any independant chair person requests information from Arthur or Edna I am sure it will be supplied.

It is for the inquiry to listen to the evidence and for the people who have pointed the finger to prove wrongdoing by either current or passed councillors - put up or shut up as Labour put it.

All the sitting councillors will either benefit or be dammed by the inquiry either by being involved or not doing anything about "it"

Hartlepool have a small group of Liberal Democrats who would love to provide the town with decent representation and are always looking for new members who want to stand and fight

DRiddle

Fair enough. Although i actually find the 'put up or shut up' comment quite offensive, as well as ill informed. It's up to councillors as well as every single person involved within an organisation such as a council to PREVENT any potential wrong doing before it occurs, not to challenge people to prove it after it potentially already has.

If more people were prepared to stand up and do that , we wouldn't find ourselves reading headlines like this one:

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/bogus-claim-trio-to-pay-back-money-1-5422240

steveL

Quote from: DRiddle on February 19, 2013, 11: AM
Fair enough. Although i actually find the 'put up or shut up' comment quite offensive, as well as ill informed. It's up to councillors as well as every single person involved within an organisation such as a council to PREVENT any potential wrong doing before it occurs, not to challenge people to prove it after it potentially already has.

If more people were prepared to stand up and do that , we wouldn't find ourselves reading headlines like this one:

Can I just echo this. Is it not reasonable for the public to be able to expect their local representatives to make a point of keeping their own house in order. The suggestion that the onus is on the public to 'catch us if you can' is indeed offensive and a sign of just how far away from genune public service we have travelled.

To hear some Councillors talk, you would think butter wouldn't melt when it reality the butter appears to have gone rancid quite some time ago.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.