Be well, do good work, and keep in touch...

Started by perseus, February 15, 2013, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

I just wanted to say that this post, post number 1000 will be my last on this forum as 'Perseus'. I joined this forum less than a year ago (about ten months I think) after becoming actively involved in local politics due to concern I had over one specific issue. The issue being, public transport funding.

Since then my interest has grown. I've spent nearly a year or so becoming acquainted with many people in local 'political circles' and the more you learn the more worrying certain aspects of the situation becomes.

Growing up in this town I, like many of you, have always scratched my head and wondered "Who made that decision?" Whether that decision was to allow a land fill site opposite a golf course, more retail outlets to be built in a town full of empty ones, buildings to stand empty for literally decades or something of that nature.

Having said all of that, I respect democratic process. The people in the chamber at Hartlepool Borough Council HAVE been elected by us, the people of the town.
Thus, they have earned the right to be heavily involved and indeed make, important decisions on our behalf. However, there lies the key word in all of this.... our, our behalf.

As a taxpayer who pays his council tax, in full every year, I expect decisions to be made which are taken in the best interests of the people of Hartlepool. If they are, then I have no quarrel with anyone.

However, when decisions are made, which to all the world look like they're being made in the interests of the few, rather than the many, I do have an issue with that. I will speak up and question it. Personally, I feel it is a moral duty of the people of Hartlepool TO speak up and question decisions made which they do not think are right.

One such issue, is an ongoing saga, that of the initial awarding (and potential renewal) of the 'Who Cares North East/Connected Care' contract.

As is well documented, the contracts procurement process has been called into question for some time by councillors themselves as well as members of the public.

Whilst being careful to avoid speculation, and sticking largely to what we know to be definitive fact, a contract to provide a service, was awarded to an organisation started by two serving councillors.

The value of the contract was £640,000.

Up until late intervention by cabinet members, it was widely expected that the contract would be automatically renewed taking the total value of the contract to almost a million pounds.

It may well be the case that European 'loopholes' exist regarding the awarding of social care based contracts. It may well be the case that the contract is entirely legal in law.

However, morally and ethically, my view is that it stinks.

A high six figure contract awarded to councillors, by councillors cannot ever be right. It may well be legal, but that doesn't make it right.

In addition to issues such as the 'WCNE' contract, another situation which I find truly bizarre, as well as morally and ethically questionable, is the assertion that members of the public who suspect any 'wrong doing' should take their evidence to the police.

This is a view which has been either directly stated or implied by many members of council and indeed the Mayor. "Put up or shut up" was quoted, "Go to the police with your evidence" and things of that nature have been spouted in the chamber.

However, this is plainly ridiculous and not true with regard to that being the correct course of action. It is not the job of the Hartlepool taxpayer to play Inspector Clueso and go running to the police with cabinets full of evidence.  The law actually states that it is the responsibility of ANYONE with knowledge of suspected corruption or wrong doing to report it. Thus, solicitors, tax advisers, accountants and such like are obliged by law to report suspected corruption.

It can never, nor should it ever, be down to the public to police elected officials.

They should be responsible enough to do that themselves.

I will continue to contribute to the site via direct contact with the HTH team. I will also continue to report on issues I think are worthy of a wider audience.

Regarding my time on the forum, I would like to thank anyone who may have been involved in debating with me. Whilst it is obvious that there are contributors who I clearly do not agree with in terms of my wider national politics, in general, I think most people who frequent this forum do so because they share concerns similar to mine.

It may well be the case that if you aren't already aware of my 'real life' name, it's very likely that you will be made aware of it in due course via the local press.

As I have stated before, I chose the pseudonym 'Perseus' because in Greek mythology he was prepared to take people on that a lot of other people were scared of. 

He also did it by essentially holding up a mirror.

Regarding the questions I've raised on this website, or indeed in the wider political domain, like Perseus that's all I feel I've done.

Put very simply, I've held up a mirror and reflected the image to a wider audience.

An image which was already there in the first place.

If I have the support of my family, I will be running for a seat on Hartlepool Borough Council at the next available opportunity within my ward.

I may well regret that decision as I am aware that chamber has been described by others as a 'snake pit'.

However, if you know your Greek Mythology, Perseus was pretty good at handling snakes.  ;)

Thank you for your time.