True local politics

Started by Inspector Knacker, February 14, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I feel that local politics would be a far better place if political parties were eliminated from fielding candidates in the first place. Also,wouldn't it be nice if candidates were obliged to reside in the ward they represented ...it's then a vote for the candidate and not the party they represent.
Am I being unreasonable, because I see nothing but negatives with party politics in local government.....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

marky

That sounds good but in reality the political parties have arranged things so that only 'parties' are fully recognised with the system - for obvious reasons.

Inspector Knacker

I can't deny your point, but the present situation allows the election of any buffoon with the right party connection voted for on their party label .... if this was done away with the electorate would actually be required to think before they vote. We  must remember just whose loyalty the party candidates  priorities lay with, the party or the voters, it ain't rocket science.

tankerville

I once was asked if I intended to voting at a past local election? my reply of course. I'm voting for the LABOUR candidate in my ward.

She's a real lovely lady with a nice smile and lovely eyes, she listens to everything you say to her and reponds, which I feel is important.

Well she'll get my vote.

What name do I look for on the voting slip? Tess ********

I turned back and said by the way.. Tess is my dog!

The Great Dictator

I dont agree Riddler, there is always ward candidates to vote for but the quality might not be there. Its better to have a good councillor than a thick one that lives opposite...eg Dyke House area !

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: testicles on February 15, 2013, 11: AM
I dont agree Riddler, there is always ward candidates to vote for but the quality might not be there. Its better to have a good councillor than a thick one that lives opposite...eg Dyke House area !
You ovetsimplify things. Why should the party candidate be portrayed as the sensible choice and the resident a thicket ..... given the choice between a thicket and a party hack I'll opt for the thicket every time. Nice try, but....

The Great Dictator

Well thats ok riddler, keep voting for the thickett next door, i'm sure you will eventually benefit from it but not in our lifetime.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: testicles on February 15, 2013, 03: PM
Well thats ok riddler, keep voting for the thickett next door, i'm sure you will eventually benefit from it but not in our lifetime.
Well we've had the dubious benefit of your choice since time began, so please explain the benefits .
Meanwhile, you persist with the dogma that party candidates are good and local candidates an abomination, ..... why the need to be so dismissive of a local candidate, why the blanket derision, the monochrome contrast, are you a member of  a party by any chance .....?

Inspector Knacker

We'll have to agree to disagree over ward residence, but IS see no place for national parties in local government.
I don't recall saying it could ever happen, just one for my wishlist.

marky

It's surely better for a local councillor to live in the ward he represents or to at least to have very strong links to the ward. I think that's how people expect things to be. There are existing councillors who have simply been allocated wards from the party check list and in some cases, have been quite vocal that they would rather they were somewhere else.

Inspector Knacker

Let's be honest, when discussing making democracy more ..... democratic and having the awful prospect of people getting elected who aren't part of the system, the party turkeys aren't going to gushing in their appraisal of the merits of Paxo.