Stop and er......what?

Started by Inspector Knacker, January 23, 2019, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Leaving a shop at dinner time the Mail was on display and was surprised to see the front page announcing the Council is to fine dog owners if they are not carrying waste bags. To quote the report..Designated officers being given powers to check dog walkers are carrying bags to pick up their dogs mess and to issue fines where they are unable to do so.
Really? and just how does that work?
Why should anyone reveal to a minor Council official what they are carrying on their person?
What authority does a minor Council official have to approach anyone and ask them in effect to produce proof of possessing a waste bag?
How can the said minor Council official issue a fine without being able to prove the person did or did not have a bag?

What next,  search powers to confirm their line of questioning?

Tell me it's not April 1st.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

It does seem a bit Orwellian. Another potential revenue stream, perhaps? Obviously nobody approves of dog mess being left behind, but this could prove a little complicated.

A few thoughts:

1. What size/grade of bag's considered acceptable?
2. What if the dog owner's on their way back from a long walk & have exhausted their stash of bags?
3. Dogs are sociable - if one wanders over to a stranger & the 'dog muck inspector' assumes that the dog's theirs do
    they still get fined by association?

Actually, I wonder if this ideas was inspired by Viz magazine.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Next idea will be to force everyone to carry a supply of bags at all times incase you happen to pass (no pun intended) within 20ft. of a discarded dog turd.

On a more serious note - has anyone seen a supply of bags at any of the dispensers recently ? Haven't seen any at the southern end of town since last year. No doubt that will be my fault for not reporting them empty - even though I don't have a dog.

Inspector Knacker

I think the point of contention is what right does anyone ( police excepted) have to approach you and question you about what you have on your person. You may well have bags, but why reveal it to someone who has no business asking you?
To prosecute someone you have to have committed an offence, not suppose they may commit one.
Might I suggest they get off their collective backsides, do their job and catch em in the act.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 23, 2019, 05: PM
I think the point of contention is what right does anyone ( police excepted) have to approach you and question you about what you have on your person. You may well have bags, but why reveal it to someone who has no business asking you?
To prosecute someone you have to have committed an offence, not suppose they may commit one.
Might I suggest they get off their collective backsides, do their job and catch em in the act.

Good point.

fred c

You are innocent until your dog S***s on the pavement...Having recently taken possession of a canine friend I completely endorse the use of dog wardens, those who choose not to pick it up should be made to either pay a £100 fine or....Eat It.

I'm afraid I take exception to a minor council officer asking me... 'Have you got a bag'....There are of course several answers.

1) Who are you

2) What business is it of yours if I have a bag

3) Why do you want to know

4) What legal right do you have to stop a citizen in the street

5) If I won't tell you will you attempt to search my person

6) If I won't tell you what are you proposing to do

7) You are perfectly entitled to follow me and if or when my dog poops I don't pick it up....you can take the requisite action

mk1

Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on January 23, 2019, 04: PM

On a more serious note - has anyone seen a supply of bags at any of the dispensers recently ?

As predicted they all went in the first couple of days. Who could pass-up an offer of free plastic bags?

Land Phil

Plenty of bags full of dog s**t on the beach and prom today.

Dog s**t bag police is a waste of money and an insult to those that don't get their burglary investigated.

I also don't want some stranger stopping my child without me present.

Johnny Bongo

Whilst I totally agree with the basic principle of 'enforcing' (I really hate that word! ) dog owners to carry said bags, I agree with others that a 'Council Enforcement Officer' does not have the power or the right to stop and ask you, well, ANYTHING!  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Plus, it obviously wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the lazy turds who NEVER pick up!  When I've requested that HBC (environmental health) do something to combat the huge problem in and around Eldon Grove Academy, the answer is usually that the culprits need to be caught in the act and photographed for any proceedings to be taken against them!  I've suggested CCTV but HBC don't seem all that interested.   A few strategically placed cameras in problem areas, a few dozen lazy turds caught on camera, prosecuted, heavily fined and 100 hours community work picking up turds would, imo, improve matters within a short time.  Either that or find out where they live and 'return' the mess to their address, in whatever method you may choose!

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Land Phil on January 23, 2019, 07: PM
Plenty of bags full of dog s**t on the beach and prom today.

Dog s**t bag police is a waste of money and an insult to those that don't get their burglary investigated.

I also don't want some stranger stopping my child without me present.
The only people caught will be the vulnerable or compliant dog owners.
Do you honestly expect some intimidating character with his Shetland pony/shark crossbreed is going to be asked?
What next, doggy poo bag check points? Scanners?
It's like some bizarre Viz cartoon script.
You could call it 'Stand and Deliver' with an Highwayman character Dick Turnip, named after the Councillors promoting the scheme, one who's looks like a coiffured turnip and the other is self explanatory!
He can ride up on his nag, pull out his flintlock and demand you show him your poo bag. Just a thought, but what would the revenue from these fines be spent on?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

So which of our fine councillors is stepping forward as the dog s**t champion ?
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

Well, the photo in the article featured Barclay and SAB. They had an expression on their faces like they were the first people to bump into the alien in one of those US sci-fi pictures of the 1950's.

DRiddle

veggismiennicht

Will this system be carried forward to include horses cats etc as they also deficate were and when they want on our sports fields beaches etc equality for all