Hart Lane Cemetery War Graves

Started by tankerville, November 29, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tankerville

I understand that Government Money is being made available for to re-instate War Graves in the North Cemetery.

Also a Memorial to be erected in there.

Where and When is anyone's guess.

This is possibly why a crackdown on people exercising their dog's has now been put into place.

A War Graves Vehicle has been seen in the cemetery only last week.

I'm not sure that this will be good idea due to the amount of vandalism past and present to exisiting grave stones. 

There are still large groups in there on week-ends drinking and causing damage to newly planted trees, setting fires. smashing bottle's. etc etc.

If dog walkers are banned this will give free reign to the low life that frequent the place to do what they please without fear of been seen or being reported to the police.

Incidently.

A War Grave Memorial was removed some years past along with all the headstone's that were smashed / vandalised It was re-erected in Stranton Cemetery.

Time will tell if this will be money well spent or not.

steveL

I hear what you are saying about this but I just don't think that we should ever give ground to the vandals and thugs that spoil our communities for the majority. I know it's expensive and God knows, I understand why people often feel like giving it up as a bad job but to give up the fight is to slip further down a very slippery slope.

I've often thought that we need specific community laws against damage/abuse of community assets and facilities but more than that, we need to get into the habit of taking such activity more seriously and recognise the damaging drip-drip effect on communities and neighbourhoods. The bar when we take these things seriously enough has been lowered far too much. Using the Cenotaph as a public urinal, for example, should not be the same offence as peeing in a back alley and should come with far harsher consequences which reflect the public disgust at such disrespect.

If we are saying that we have reached a point when we dare not commemorate the sacrifice of our war dead in fear of the inevitable damage to any graves or monuments then we really have arrived at the bottom of the valley and it's time we started to crawl back up out of it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

90% of people would never dream of complaining about vandals much less going to court to give evidence.
The problem is thus the  people who complain but do nothing and as they are in the majority then it will never be a problem solved.
That said I think there is too much effort  placed on  remembering of our 'glorious' past.
By that I mean the dead of one generation belong to that era and their direct offspring. That is the strongest  link and the general public become more distant/remote from the events as the years progress.

steveL

Surely the point of such memorials is that the sacrifices made are not forgotten. Generations may have passed but we are still enjoying the benefits of their sacrifice.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

tankerville

I understand and fully agree with the comments made, the sad thing is that these same 'people'? are causing damage to what is in all possibilty their own families graves.

Some 56.000 are buried in the North Cemetery.

My own thoughts are that I will continue to clean up empty wine bottles on my way through but this is difficult because the bin's have either been stolen or vandalised.

The idiots who placed seating next to the footpath have made a haven for yobs, there is no proper lighting on the main footpath yet to top path is lit like Blackpool.

These people who impliment such scheme's have no idea what the local community want or need then just go ahead and do them, well after all is said and done It's only Public Money.

I'm all for our Glorious Dead to have a fitting tribute to the ultimate sacrifice they have made.

But still feel it will be to no avail when the Law tells yobs. YOUR A VERY NAUGHTY BOY/GIRL Don't do it again..Yeah Right !!

whatabouthisthen

A couple or so years ago didn't the Council fund a community project to clean up the cemetery? I seem to remember the local Councillors and a community leader being lauded over the success of the project. Another case of throwing away the  CT payers money!

tankerville

Just to give an update on this I was approached by H.B.C enforcement officer he  'advised ' that dogs should be a lead in this area, middle of the cemetery on the top path. accompanied with two P.C.S.Os on bicycles.

I asked why when this was an open area? He explained the sign's are NOT enforceable. So I could let my dog loose !!!!!!!!!! I'm not making it up.. I couldn't.

Then why are you in here with two P.C.S.Os. stopping people like myself who have their dog on a lead.?

Did not get a satisfactory answer. I suppose he was just doing his job.

I walked away shaking my head

It looks like dogs are going to banned from the North Cemetery.

Mican

Quote from: mk1 on November 29, 2012, 02: PM
That said I think there is too much effort  placed on  remembering of our 'glorious' past.
By that I mean the dead of one generation belong to that era and their direct offspring. That is the strongest  link and the general public become more distant/remote from the events as the years progress.

What a pathetic post, if it hadn't been for these people fighting and dying to keep this country free and safe, ar**holes like you wouldn't be able to sit at a computer making such ridiculous comments.  There are people all over the country, young and old, who visit war memorials, especially on "Remembrance Sunday" to pay their respects to them for their sacrifice, even if they are not family.  No doubt, if it was proposed for a shrine to the Islamic "Freedom Fighters" you would be all for it.  With people like you on this site it is no wonder so many people have stopped posting.  What a pillock.   

mk1

Quote from: Mican on December 06, 2012, 11: PM

What a pathetic post, if it hadn't been for these people fighting and dying to keep this country free and safe, ar**holes like you wouldn't be able to sit at a computer making such ridiculous comments.......rant.......rage.............bulging eye sockets.......foam at mouth................

Yeah right.
You talk more bollocks than Kipperdip.
You have no idea of the way I see 'veterans' or how I interact with them.
Suffice to say I know more and do more about the memory of these  men than you could ever manage.

No doubt, if it was proposed for a shrine to the Islamic "Freedom Fighters" you would be all for it.

Ah so, another UKIP/EDL nutter.

Perhaps you are the mor*on featured in the video posted recently?

tankerville

I have the greatest respect for War Graves & war Memorials.

I'm merely stating that a heavy handed approach is being taken with 'responsible' dog owners in the North Cemetery.

Many like myself help to keep it free from glass bottles and litter. Left by under age kid's & alcoholics.

My respects to those that gave their lives remains the same I wear my poppy with pride attend every service held in the town.

But I still remember what my parents taught.

Be respectful to everyone never be rude or use foul language.

The Great Dictator

We knew what you were saying Tank, don't be put off by the occasional MONG.

Mican

Quote from: mk1 on December 06, 2012, 11: PM
Yeah right.
You talk more bollocks than Kipperdip.
You have no idea of the way I see 'veterans' or how I interact with them.
Suffice to say I know more and do more about the memory of these  men than you could ever manage.

No doubt, if it was proposed for a shrine to the Islamic "Freedom Fighters" you would be all for it.

Ah so, another UKIP/EDL nutter.

Perhaps you are the mor*on featured in the video posted recently?

What a load of drivel, over the years I have helped to raise thousands for such charities as the RBL, Help for Heroes, Help our Wounded, Combat Stress and the Ghurkha Welfare Trust among others, each year I help to sell poppies and attend either the Cenotaph or one of the towns War Memorials, I like the rest will wait to hear how you put that in the shade, when was the last time you went to the War Memorial?  Sorry your comments don't wash with me, anyone who had any empathy with our fallen would not be making childish comments like "Glorious Past" and suggesting that War Memorials and War Graves belong in the past and should be for families only.

As for the other part about the Islamic freedom fighters, this is in response to whenever someone mentions the people being slaughtered by their own etc, instead of condemning it you come back with stories of alleged abuse/atrocities by the British forces and what do you call me for that, a UKIP/EDL nutter, how wonderful.

I have posted twice on this site, after reading it since it started, both times I have been called by you and your friend perseus, names such as Kipperdip, Micksmate, someone else, UKIP/EDL nutter, it's the same when anyone else posts on here with a different opinion to you two, you come up with descriptions such as Old, Racist, Living in a time warp, Neanderthals, stupid, UKIP, Little Englander, so shallow and narrow minded and getting increasingly predictable and boring.

I said in an earlier post that with people like you on the site, it's no wonder that people have stopped posting, well I can say for definite that your friend perseus is the same, I know of three people who have stopped using the site since he came on, one being a former University lecturer, who when asked why, pointed out, he was sick of  the way perseus copies and pastes stuff from the internet, manipulates the text to look as though he has written it and make it look as though he is some sort of Intellectual whiz kid, but as was also pointed out, with only one framed certificate on his wall to look at, he comes nowhere near it.  I along with the others, came on the site to keep up to date on happenings in and around the town, sadly when a decent post gets going; it tends to be hijacked with petty things that have no bearing on the post.  Shame really.

For the benefit of Testicles, nowhere in the posts has there been any criticism of Tankerville, so perhaps reading the posts properly first before name calling might be a bit more sensible.

mk1

I believe what we have here is the cavalry sent in to help Kipper steer clear of  (too many)insulting posts. This 'comrade' has been given the task of trying to embroil the unwary with deliberately provocative posts.
Plenty of 'heated debate' a la  Mrs Murton.
As if anyone would fall for such an obvious ploy.
This is my last reply to you in this thread. Goodbye old bean!

Mican

Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear, what a pair old perseus and MK1, firstly let me tell you I am not kipperdip, Micksmate or anyone else you care to mention, as I said earlier I had only posted twice previously, unfortunately perseus you are so egotistical that you cannot believe that some people actually see through you and take you for what you are, instead you blame poor Kipperdip for it all, even the bit about the certificate, well as has been pointed out to me, you wrote that bit yourself, about how you like to "persue" the framed certificate on the wall.  May I also tell you the people I talked about are not UKIP nutters nor do/or have they preached Anti Islamic lies, so on their behalf perhaps you can point out the posts where this has happened?  As for MK1, when challenged to back up his claims, what happened, he spit his dummy out and said he's not playing anymore, what a hero.   The site is all your s.

Mican

Quote from: perseus on December 07, 2012, 09: PM
Quote"persue" the framed certificate on the wall.

I assume you mean peruse?

No this apparently is your word, your spelling taken from your post when you smugly told the site about your framed certificate on the wall, this I believe was about the same time you told another poster how you pitied them because they were of lower intelligence than you.  As for the last bit about the Stormfront, how boringly predictable.  Never mind, stick with it who knows you may one day impress someone.