Essential Work.

Started by seaton, April 21, 2020, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akarjl2

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 24, 2020, 07: AMI suspect the word 'snitching' was a creation ot the perpetrators of rule breaking for their own benefit....giving themselves an undeserved victimhood. Tosh of course.

Agree = double standards....too much "The Bill" "Line of Duty" etc. A flexible interpretation of right and wrong dependent upon their own "activities". Nothing to do with current crisis.

35 years ago had a m**r*n pis*ed telling me police were sh**e and he would never call police and "grass" anyone up.....2 days later he's at the front desk complaining his neighbour damaged his car.

Oddly not a lot of time was spent investigating that complaint.....what goes around comes around.
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

seaton

Are the people who cut the grass verges contractors or Council Employees, obviously they are not being cut as it's not essential work. I asked the question on a FB Site and I was informed that the grass cutting people had been deployed on more important duties. BTW I got deleted from the FB Page for being to argumentative over the subject.

B&Q have opened up over a 140 stores today, do they sell essential stuff, the government are encouraging people only to shop for essential goods but when were DIY goods classed as being essential ?

I went to Morrison's today queued for 15 minutes, people are still loading up the trolleys as if there was no tomorrow, next week I imagine it will become worse as people on a monthly payroll will be receiving their salary.

notenoughsaid

Sorry about this before I start!!!.....does funny things to your mind this lockdown   business.   

On seeing the word ' SNITCHING '  it took me back some 60 plus years when me and a  mate   were asked to to provide a few hundred large garden worms, we called them lob worms , for the Hartlepool and District Angling Club team to take to Ireland for use in a 120 strong competition organised by the then Angling Times , a national fishing paper. Team of 12 of which included us at 13 years old,  happy days.  !!!

Rather than dig for the worms we visited the finely cut lawns of the War Memorial in Victoria Rd. after dark when the grass was wet with the dew. The worms often would lay across the surface of the grass out of their holes headfirst. The' SNITCHING' part is  the art of catching them before they  beat a hasty retreat.   Just place a thumb at the tail end and grab the main body and head of the worm. The trick was to stop them going down but quickly give them a seconds slack to release their grip before pulling them clear of the soil. No harm done to the grass.

So there you have it  .Apologies for going off thread but thats 'Snitching 'for you.!!!   A trick copied from the blackbirds.   Sorry again.

diSme

Quote from: seaton on April 24, 2020, 05: PM
Are the people who cut the grass verges contractors or Council Employees, obviously they are not being cut as it's not essential work. I asked the question on a FB Site and I was informed that the grass cutting people had been deployed on more important duties. BTW I got deleted from the FB Page for being to argumentative over the subject.

B&Q have opened up over a 140 stores today, do they sell essential stuff, the government are encouraging people only to shop for essential goods but when were DIY goods classed as being essential ?

I went to Morrison's today queued for 15 minutes, people are still loading up the trolleys as if there was no tomorrow, next week I imagine it will become worse as people on a monthly payroll will be receiving their salary.

There has been no announcement that I'm aware of from the council regarding the grass verges. I will likely just cut ours and maybe a couple of the less able neighbours' with my own lawn mower.

I'd be interested to know where the staff have been redeployed though...?
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: diSme on April 25, 2020, 09: AM

Why do you need to know...?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

The staff have probably been deployed in any of the areas which need extra hands. Know that quite a few are based at the 'ub - sorting out back up food parcels, prescriptions etc. etc.

diSme

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 25, 2020, 11: AM
Quote from: diSme on April 25, 2020, 09: AM

Why do you need to know...?
I didn't say I needed to know, I said I'd be interested to know.

I'm still paying council tax....

Inspector Knacker

I'm still paying my Council Tax as well, but the job relocation of Council employees to other jobs hasn't caused me to lose a minutes sleep. Even 'interested to know' strikes me as a pointless exercise, I hardly expect them to be taking jet ski lessons and sippping cocktails.
In a world going slightly mad, an interest in the relocation of the grass cutting crews borders on the pedantic.

seaton

I would have thought it would be prudent to employ contractors for grass cutting, no expensive machinery to buy, maintain and only used for a few months a year ?
The majority of farmers use contractors for many the tasks like ploughing, sowing and harvest time, no point have machinery costing hundreds of thousands of pounds lying idle.

Inspector Knacker

Are you an accountant by any chance?

diSme

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 25, 2020, 05: PM
I'm still paying my Council Tax as well, but the job relocation of Council employees to other jobs hasn't caused me to lose a minutes sleep. Even 'interested to know' strikes me as a pointless exercise, I hardly expect them to be taking jet ski lessons and sippping cocktails.
In a world going slightly mad, an interest in the relocation of the grass cutting crews borders on the pedantic.
Haha. Nah, I don't think I'm being pedantic. And I'm certainly not losing any sleep! I am merely just curious.
Plain old boggo curious...

diSme

Quote from: seaton on April 25, 2020, 05: PM
I would have thought it would be prudent to employ contractors for grass cutting, no expensive machinery to buy, maintain and only used for a few months a year ?
The majority of farmers use contractors for many the tasks like ploughing, sowing and harvest time, no point have machinery costing hundreds of thousands of pounds lying idle.
Prudent, and quite sensible by the sound of it.

I can't think of any way that the grass cutting machinery could be repurposed throughout the winter months, so yes, it probably does just sit around unused...

Perhaps there is an economic reason that we are unaware of that would explain why things are done as they are. That's the kind of information that tends to be difficult to obtain though.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: diSme on April 25, 2020, 09: PM
Quote from: seaton on April 25, 2020, 05: PM
Prudent, and quite sensible by the sound of it.

I can't think of any way that the grass cutting machinery could be repurposed throughout the winter months, so yes, it probably does just sit around unused...

Perhaps there is an economic reason that we are unaware of that would explain why things are done as they are. That's the kind of information that tends to be difficult to obtain though.
Oh dear, contractors,...... the accountants solution. A sign of my working life is where the Uriah Heeps of the accounting world turn up with their simplistic solutions for simplistic management and they collide to royally f#*k things up then disappear into the sunset like a rat up a drainpipe.
People with the depth of knowledge of a car park puddle see simple answers to simple 'problems'. Just because you don't see a problem to a subject you know little about is no guide to anything.
I've spoken to several Council heads over the years who would love to be rid of their work forces and have everything contracted  out and 'supervised' by them when half of them couldn't supervise a bowel movement.
Reasonably paid local secure jobs with rights and local knowledge quickly disappear and outside contractors come in..... progress eh?
You'll soon find out that those penny pinching ideals don't quite work out as planned. I've had to clean up plenty of these oh so simplistic solutions over the years.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: diSme on April 25, 2020, 09: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 25, 2020, 05: PM
Haha. Nah, I don't think I'm being pedantic. And I'm certainly not losing any sleep! I am merely just curious.
Plain old boggo curious...

OK, ....... nosey then.
Why am I getting a mental picture of Harry Enfield's character 'It's only Meeeeee' looking over the privet at a eye rolling, tongue biting Council grass cutter telling him he's missed a bit. ;D