First move of a thriving party

Started by Hubris, November 20, 2019, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akarjl2

Quote from: Hubris on November 23, 2019, 09: PM
Like akarjl2's pertinent observation surely poses.....'you don't get out much!'  (and just because you managed to pick up a discarded ticket off the platform in Greatham station doesn't make you Marco Polo)

Sigh continue down this route and I may have to vote for your Brexit candidate  ;)
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Latest poll has The Brexit Party dropping to 3%. Greens are on  4%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/16/political-trackers-14-15-nov-update
Remember the heady days when they were dreaming they were going to sweep to power?

It was a bit of fun but they really expected they were going to make significant inroads and replace Labour.

Inspector Knacker

That's the tide table for next week with names changed. ;D
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: mk1 on November 23, 2019, 08: PM
Light drizzle. River wasn't  high at all, looked normal.  The thing that I notice about Harrogate, York, Northallerton Morpeth etc is the number of dogs people take shopping with them. They are so  common that most shops have a water-bowl outside. It is strange to see them allowed in the shops and no one making a fuss. Life is much gentler in these places!

Probably more expensive also!  Plus, the shops need the custom and won't turn away a potential sale just for the sake of a dog!  They'd be barking mad! ;D

mk1

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on November 23, 2019, 10: PM

Probably more expensive also!  Plus, the shops need the custom and won't turn away a potential sale just for the sake of a dog!  They'd be barking mad!
In Morpeth there is an arcade with several cafes with tables outside and  nearly every customer had a dog sat under the table, The sheer number of people shopping on a Saturday with the family pet  really struck me. I looked in a pet shop there and the stuff they were selling was not cheap and nor would you see it in a Hartlepool pet shop. It really is two different worlds. I never saw many £1 shops!

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: mk1 on November 23, 2019, 10: PM

Probably more expensive also!  Plus, the shops need the custom and won't turn away a potential sale just for the sake of a dog!  They'd be barking mad!
In Morpeth there is an arcade with several cafes with tables outside and  nearly every customer had a dog sat under the table, The sheer number of people shopping on a Saturday with the family pet  really struck me. I looked in a pet shop there and the stuff they were selling was not cheap and nor would you see it in a Hartlepool pet shop. It really is two different worlds. I never saw many £1 shops!

It's amazing how much some people will spend on their pets, especially dogs.  Don't even mention vets! 
Apparently, even the £1 shops sell some things that cost more than a pound!

mk1

Apparently, even the £1 shops sell some things that cost more than a pound!

When I was at the IWM in Lambeth a decade or more back I had to wait for a research slot so visited the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre. It was a shabby dump that made Middleton Grange look successful. It really was run-down and I actually saw a 98p shop just a few doors down from a 99p shop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKud8QMYh0

Inspector Knacker

We don't have a high street thanks to Councillors in the 60's and Middleton Grange is just another sanitised sterile place. I wonder if Lynn Street had been developed as advised by the regional planning authority in Newcastle in the 60's we'd have a decent shopping area and Church St and even a proper interchange would make sense.
Ah well, that's Councillors, out with the old and in with the new and they take the credit for something nobody actually wanted.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on November 24, 2019, 07: AM
I wonder if Lynn Street had been developed as advised by the regional planning authority in Newcastle in the 60's we'd have a decent shopping area and Church St and even a proper interchange would make sense.

The original plan was to shift all the housing/shops west of Stockton Road  and use the area east of it for industry.  The railway line cuts off easy access to the coast and Stockton Road effectively cuts the town in two  and it is a big impediment to proper exploitation of the town and  seafront. As with all plans it was never fully implemented and still we try and  keep Church Street alive with (futile)  makeovers every 20 years. Lynn Street in the 1960s was very shabby. 

Inspector Knacker

To be fair, most main streets in other towns were shabby in those days and a fraction of the cost spent on Middleton Grange and some 'imagination' which was in zero supply. A lot of the popular destinations now are where the councillors didn't get 'aroused' at the prospect of new roads, concrete monstrosities and looking 'go ahead'.
I remember my dad telling me how coming up the Tyne (he was a ships engineer) one of the locals in the crew on deck said the tower blocks made Tyneside look like New York.  ::) I suspect  the Councillors shared his deluded view.

mk1

I knew that Brexit Party Logo had potential.

akarjl2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on November 24, 2019, 06: PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have you 'dropped off'?

akarjl2

lol as I do not support any particular party no...... but your repetitive droning on against anything vaguely in support of UK would send anyone to sleep eventually.

I really must resist the urge to respond even when you are completely wrong and talking drivel......damn there I go again.....

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on November 24, 2019, 05: PM
I knew that Brexit Party Logo had potential.

OOOOH look, a map of the fault lines in your 'theories'.