Mr Corbyn and Friends

Started by steveL, June 21, 2017, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heknocks68

Quote from: mk1 on June 22, 2017, 01: PM
Quote from: Heknocks68 on June 22, 2017, 01: PM

How do you quantify the different age groups from what is supposedly a private, confidential or annonymous ,call it what you will, vote? I dont recall being asked my age at the polling station. It brings to mind a phrase from long ago, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

I guess you don't like the message so want to shoot the messenger?
I find that 99% of the people who whinge about 'lies. dammed lies and statistics' really mean 'I love it when polls show 'my' side in the majority but any other result is obviously falsified'.

All the surveys confirm the basic facts. The older and less formally educated you are the more likely you are to vote Tory and be a Brexitear.

Try the Financial Times graph
Guess as you wish, there does not appear to be an answer to the question in the retort.

mk1

Quote from: Heknocks68 on June 23, 2017, 11: AM

Guess as you wish, there does not appear to be an answer to the question in the retort.

Enjoy your meal.

mala

I see that JC is still trying to attract more youngsters to his cause by appearing at the annual festival in the mud.
Just read this on the BBC page
Jeremy Corbyn has said that 16-year-old workers should be paid at least £10 an hour, as he addressed the Unison conference in Brighton.
I am sure that Employers will be overjoyed with that prospect come the Revolution

Land Phil

I was hard working at 16 as I was any time in my life.

Admittedly it was as paper boy at a couple of quid a week for delivering 700 plus papers.

mk1

Quote from: mala on June 24, 2017, 08: PM
I see that JC is still trying to attract more youngsters to his cause
How is that possible? He has the overwhelming majority of them at present and if he got any more it would be ...like 100% of them ........like..........

Hubris

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick link=topic=4102.msg43355#msg43355 date=1498339175
Glastonbury-food-vendors-uproar-as-corbyn-feeds-festival-five-loaves-two-fish/
/quote]
Brilliant LLT!
Thanks for the link to a site I'd not come across before. Now on my favourites list. (And did you see the one about May raising the Titanic? Classic!)

Hubris

Quote from: Land Phil on June 24, 2017, 09: PM

Admittedly it was as paper boy at a couple of quid a week for delivering 700 plus papers.

When I was 16 I was in Buxted Chicken Factory in Brenda Road. My job was to slash the jugulars of 16,000 upside-down chickens per day (the output was 32,000, and there were 2 of us on the 'killing-bench' as it was fondly known. It worked out at about 2 slit throats every 3 seconds for an 8 hour shift.
(£10.50 for the full week I recall)
Oh happy days! - but looking back, I think I'd have preferred your paper -round LP.

Lord Elpus

I over heard a conversation yesterday were someone was paying £50 per night for a babysitter.  Bonkers, I hate kids but even I'd look after the little buggers for £40.

kevplumb

Quote from: Hubris on June 24, 2017, 10: PM

When I was 16 I was in Buxted Chicken Factory in Brenda Road. My job was to slash the jugulars of 16,000 upside-down chickens per day (the output was 32,000, and there were 2 of us on the 'killing-bench' as it was fondly known. It worked out at about 2 slit throats every 3 seconds for an 8 hour shift.
(£10.50 for the full week I recall)
Oh happy days! - but looking back, I think I'd have preferred your paper -round LP.
ahh you where one of the zombies with a knife when I was working on the steam lines in there

long time ago  ;)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Hubris

Quote from: Hubris on June 24, 2017, 10: PM

When I was 16 I was in Buxted Chicken Factory in Brenda Road.
Just made me realise how far the town has sunk over a (relatively) few years in terms of job opportunities. Even I can't go back as far as when the town could boast :-
- thriving shipyards. 1000s of jobs - Gone
- heavy engineering - Richie's/Wesrgarth etc - Gone
- GEC - 2000 jobs - Gone
But when I joined Buxted, 450 jobs - Gone) in the town there was still:-
- John Colliers - 900 jobs - Gone
- RHM Foods - 800 jobs - Gone
- North Works - 400 jobs - Gone
- South Works - 2000 jobs - Gone
- Aladdin -300 jobs - Gone
- Mardale - 300 jobs - Gone

You can all add many more examples to the list I'm sure.

Don't know what most of this town actually does for a living these days, and don't know what our esteemed council is actively doing to try and reverse things. Must be too busy debating allowance rises, or taking Matins, rather than being constructive and creative on how to attract potential job-providers.
For sure, if I was such an entrepreneur and had come here to negotiate, after 10 mins meeting with the incumbent shower, I'd be on the next train out double quick.

There's no magic to the basic economic health of any town. It's jobs. The more real full-time, worthwhile, secure jobs there are.....generating spending, independence, self-reliance, local tax revenue.....the better. Does the Mob see this as their priority above all else? They should do.
(D'ya know, I might not even resent a pay rise if I could see an iota of evidence that could demonstrate they were effective and focused on fulfilling their ONLY duty - which is making the town better by spending OUR money in the best way.

Nice

Inspector Knacker

Neary all those jobs have been gone for over 30 years.. Reasonably well pad pod jobs have been replaced by minimum wages and eternal debt.
We produce nothing anymore, we just consume.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

The Hartlepools decline started after WW1 and is not (as most think) a 1960s event. Between the wars there was as scheme to 'export' people to the Midlands but it was not a success. West Hartlepool was a boom town in late 1870's to WW1. It has been downhill ever since.
There is a lot of information and data in 'The Hartlepools A Survey And  A Plan' by The Max Lock Group in 1948 and it is a real eye opener to see how long the deprivation has lasted.

mk1

How bad could it have been?