return of night time buses in hartlepool and service 1 on a sunday

Started by no6bus, September 20, 2012, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no6bus

hearing that from november 11th a half hourly service 7 will be running 7 nights a week and service 1's will run on a sunday the same as on a bank holiday. without any support from hartlepool council so the message from stagecoach will probably be, if you dont use it you will see it disappear but this time for good.

steveL

'scuse my ignorance, no6, but where do the Nos 1 and 7 go?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

no6bus

the no1 runs from tunstall school via throston grange lane past hospital raby road to grand then along york road to golden flatts then down to seaton and the no7 from paddies to the headland via rossmere way greensides grand hotel marina to headland

testing times

Maybe I'm just a cynical old fart, but is it just a coincidence that the Seaton service is set to return just before November 15th, the date it was expected that the Seaton by-election would take place. Is this the real reason Labour are so pis*ed off that UKIP changed the date to October 25th?
I'm struggling to understand why Stagecoach would change their minds on this as there's no reason to believe that the expected passenger numbers would have changed. Has a short-term subsidy been offered?   

rabbit

Could it happen here?

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2012-09-18/call-to-end-25-years-of-bus-privatisation/

Also this is a conclusion from another source:

quote: "And so a state monopoly where services were run for the good of the people, was replaced by one run for the good of the shareholders. Still it's all about ideology. And the Conservative Party ideology was, as it still is, that private sector good, public sector bad. So by judging de-regulation on that basis, the whole thing has been a massive success! Congratulations all round."

http://www.planetbods.org/blog/2011/10/26/where_the_nations_privatised_buses_went

no6bus

Quote from: testing times on September 22, 2012, 11: AM
Maybe I'm just a cynical old fart, but is it just a coincidence that the Seaton service is set to return just before November 15th, the date it was expected that the Seaton by-election would take place. Is this the real reason Labour are so pis*ed off that UKIP changed the date to October 25th?
I'm struggling to understand why Stagecoach would change their minds on this as there's no reason to believe that the expected passenger numbers would have changed. Has a short-term subsidy been offered?
no you are a cynical old fart, the north east group has a new managing director who has decided he would like to try the buses on an evening so is trying the service 7 as that passes the marina, there has been no discussion with the council over the reintroduction of services and it is purely a commercial service with no subsidy so dont let any councillor try to claim any credit, BUT if the public dont use it it will disappear for good and if they do use it who knows the service 6 may follow.

rabbit

One of the problems with the number 7 is that it goes past the Marina. It doesn`t really go into it, say down the Middleton Road towards the "highlife" of Navigation Point. (perhaps the operators and drivers may not fancy it, or the turn round is difficult).

The other road into the Marina, ie Maritime Avenue is similarly not well served by busses.

Taxis are always happy to take advantage of this.

no6bus

there was talk of buses going down into nav point but then they built the pub where the turning circle was and with taxis just parking where they want down there it was a non starter following risk assesments. maritime ave was served by buses which hardly ever picked up so was deemed unprofitable.
in the days of hbc and their £2 million a year losses it didnt matter but under private ownership it is down to money

SRMoore

Quote from: rabbit on September 22, 2012, 06: PM

quote: "And so a state monopoly where services were run for the good of the people, was replaced by one run for the good of the shareholders. Still it's all about ideology. And the Conservative Party ideology was, as it still is, that private sector good, public sector bad. So by judging de-regulation on that basis, the whole thing has been a massive success! Congratulations all round."

http://www.planetbods.org/blog/2011/10/26/where_the_nations_privatised_buses_went

Who are these 'shareholders'? Listening to the left it's easy to believe they are a different class of society that you, the little man, could never become and are therefor people to detest and condemn simply because they own a share of a company and have a say in the running rather than the government owning it and giving you the illusion you own it and have a say in how it's ran.

The truth is that for a couple of quid you too, normal Joe Bloggs could be a shareholder in Stagecoach or any other company and you too can share in the profits and have a say in how that company operates.

I'd still renationalise the railways though ;) that's a completely different kettle of fish!

no6bus

Quote from: SRMoore on September 23, 2012, 10: AM
Quote from: rabbit on September 22, 2012, 06: PM

Who are these 'shareholders'? Listening to the left it's easy to believe they are a different class of society that you, the little man, could never become and are therefor people to detest and condemn simply because they own a share of a company and have a say in the running rather than the government owning it and giving you the illusion you own it and have a say in how it's ran.

The truth is that for a couple of quid you too, normal Joe Bloggs could be a shareholder in Stagecoach or any other company and you too can share in the profits and have a say in how that company operates.

I'd still renationalise the railways though ;) that's a completely different kettle of fish!
sorry if you actually believe that then the tories are in a worse state than i thought

rabbit

Yes I see your point.

All of us, whether we are shareholders or not receive some benefit from registered companies.

Their profits may be returned to the public either by share dividends (to the share holders) or by the various taxes imposed upon these companies by central government.

The share holders may be Joe Public themselves, or the large financial institutions such as insurance companies who provide personal pensions for Joe Public. The taxes raked in by central goverment are obviously beneficial too to Joe Public.

In short, this country is and has been for many years, financially dependent upon the success of the many registered public companies.

However, as is well known, not all of them are successful. Many of them are very well run, others fail. That is the nature of the beast.(competition). In certain areas, such as transport and utilities, we may well end up with just a few very large companies who dominate the industry.

The arguments put forward in the website I linked to provide some proof of this, in that the many and various bus transport systems that used to be run by local transport have been replaced by a few "private" companies that do not have the same aims of serving the general public.

I agree with the last remark by No6 bus. Share holders in general have little control in what the "company" does. It is only on rare occasions that they do have some influence, e.g. putting pressure on the salaries of CEOs, but this is a rare event.

rabbit

Shane`s remarks looked more like a snipe at the "Left" to me.

A little political slip perhaps.

Although no connection, it reminded me of that other senior Tory Andrew Mitchell`s remarks in Downing Street about "plebs"