police commisioner

Started by perseus, September 13, 2012, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

When I saw cab-boss, I immediately thought it meant a taxi firm boss. That would have been interesting too!

for fawkes sake

Well one thing is for sure. If you want to win a few votes in Hartlepool it's probably not a good idea to be connected with the Hospital Trust in any way
Ken Lupton - Non-executive director North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Hospital Trust
Appointed as non-executive director on 1 August 2010 for three-year term of office.
Leader of Stockton Borough Council since 2007. Sits on the boards of Durham and Tees Valley Airport and Tees Valley Unlimited and is vice chair of the North East Leaders Board
Oh well ....... so much for the Tories
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

christine blakey

At least Sultan Alam fought for his freedom and now will continue to seek justice and accountability regarding the culprits who stitched him up.  He had eighteen years or so in the force so that gives good insight also.  He has suffered as a victim so knows what innocent people feel like when they suffer at the hands of corrupt criminals whether in the police force or not.  I say give him a chance to show his cards?

Are people going to the meeting next Tuesday 18 September 2012 at Hartlepool College of FE at 6-8pm for the Safer Hartlepool Partnership?

Maybe the candidates will be at this meeting and we will get the chance to find out what each of them will do for Hartlepool if they are elected.  You get a better chance of finding out information before Purdah?

steveL

The story of November 15th will be the abysmal turnout. We may do a bit better in Hartlepool with the Mayoral referendum being on the same day, but overall it will be another indication of the level of public apathy. I'd be surprised if the turnout outside of Hartlepool reaches 10%.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

steveL

not as yet but I don't know when the deadline is
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Ryehill

Perseus you are complaining that we are being asked to vote for a post that no tax payer wants, yet on another thread you are slating U.K.I.P. for costing taxpayers a five figure sum by reqesting an early bi-election in Seaton. What exactly do you want?

christine blakey

Ryehill can you explain why it is best to have the bi-election separately as UKIP have been made publicly responsible for it, and I am sure this will go against UKIP if they aim to field, as others are going to tell everyone in Seaton!

With the current climate and the unrest about being forced to have a Commissioner, it shows cost to the Tax-Payer which may have been soothed by a joint election? 

It would be useful to know if UKIP would consider asking if under the circumstances, the bi-election could be delayed to November 15? 

I would have thought it would give more chance for people coming out to vote if they have three reasons to do so? 

christine blakey

Just read a UKIP answer to this on the bi-election thread.  Therefore, no need to answer.

christine blakey

christine blakey

Yes, it very much looks like the process of the directly elected Mayor, I wonder if in ten years time we will get a referendum drive to go back to what was or there about.

No matter what, it will be political if people do not vote.  I suggest that people tell their neighbours of the process.

I cannot help feeling that of all the candidates so far, the only one that has an idea of what not to have or do in the police force is Sultan Alam.  He is independent.  At the end of the day we have to vote for one, so maybe we should be looking more at why we should vote, and as time is ticking, we need to consider who to vote for and quick.

Hopefully we can make up for democracy if we share our information with neighbours? 

marky

Hobson's Choice:

Sultan Alam might be able to claim the moral high ground but unfortunately I suspect the man comes with too much baggage. He certainly has the right to have a grievance against Cleveland Police but, being cold-hearted about it, is there not a risk that he comes with scores to settle and a bit of a chip on his shoulder?
Ken Lupton's role as a non-executive Director on the Hospital Trust should exclude him from any Hartlepool votes.
Barry Coppinger is way too close to what went before so won't be getting my vote
That leaves the Citizens Advice bloke who looks like the safest bet to be.

It looks like the allowances paid to local authority members of the new Crime Panel have been knocked on the head with only 'reasonable travel and sussistence allowances being paid. Members of the Police Authority currently get both expenses and an allowance. I wonder if there will be the same bun fight of Councillors trying to get on the new board?

This is worth a read:
On the 15th November 2012, the Cleveland Force Area will be electing its first Police & Crime Commissioner, who will be responsible for setting the priorities and resources for Cleveland Police, as well as supporting broader community safety activities across the region.
In addition to this a Police & Crime Panel will also be established to scrutinise the work of the Commissioner.  The purpose of this role is to assist the Commissioner through providing independent challenge as a critical friend.
The Panel will be made up of representatives from each of the four local authorities in the force area, and two independent co-opted members.
The Commissioner will be required to consult with the Panel on their plans and budget for policing, as well as the level of council tax and the appointment of a chief constable.
The panel is looking for at least two committed and energetic people who either live or work within the Cleveland Force Area to serve as co-opted independent members from summer 2012 for a four year term.  This is an exciting opportunity to be involved from the start with new and very different arrangements for reducing crime and disorder.
The role of a Panel Member will be an important and demanding one.  The typical commitment required from a member of the panel is expected to average one day every two months, including preparation time.
Meetings will generally be held in the late afternoons or early evenings at varying locations throughout the force area.  All Panel Members will be able to claim reasonable travelling and subsistence expenses.   All Panel Members will receive induction and other appropriate training.
For a copy of the application pack please telephone 01642 527060 or 01642 528173.  The closing date for applications is 28 September 2012.
The Panel wishes to reflect the breadth of communities in the Cleveland force area and welcomes applications from all eligible people irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor.

marky

LOL....A brave statement after we've all just experienced the worst Summer in over a 100 years  ;)

steveL

Well, we're going to get one of them whether we like it or not so it's probabaly wise to vote for the best of the worst...if that makes sense. We tried the 'none of the above' approach and got a man in a monkey suit.