oh, the irony.......

Started by marky, September 12, 2012, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

£500,000 Government Money to re-align the Throston Grange A179 Roundabout - that's £200,000 more than the subsidy HBC cut that led to the decimation of the bus services.
"The improvements are part of an on-going programme to improve the bus network across the town . . . ."

I know it's probably an over-used phrase on here, but you really couldn't make it up, could you?

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/drivers-warned-to-expect-delays-1-4918102

The Great Dictator

Different pots of money can't be mixed by law.

rabbit

I must mention that to the missus.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

When did the law ever match good common sense.
I don't believe it.

marky

Quote from: testicles on September 12, 2012, 02: PM

.... and that lessens the irony how exactly?

The Great Dictator

You can't use government construction grants to provide buses.

testing times

I've always thought that this was a cockeyed roundabout. I wonder if they do anything about the Jesmond Road exit?

no6bus

dont think they are altering the jesmond road junction, a lot of issues with roundabouts junctions etc could be resolved by fitting indicators to cars and learning drivers how to use them ;)

fred c

Quote from: no6bus on September 12, 2012, 06: PM
dont think they are altering the jesmond road junction, a lot of issues with roundabouts junctions etc could be resolved by fitting indicators to cars and learning drivers how to use them ;)

Oh Oh..... Kettle & Pot come to mind....... But not you no6.... lol

As to improving the bus network around town..... what bus network.

It would be informative if no6 could give a brief breakdown of how many services have actually been cut, there are numerous areas of the town that don`t appear to have any service at all.

no6bus

i think the statement that numerous areas of the town dont have any service is a exageration, with the exception of west park area all other areas have a bus route within a approx 10 min walk.
there are 3 core services the 1's 6's and 7's which are a 10 minute service during the day the 3 and 4 are a 30 minute service this of course is mon to sat. constant reviews are held and this may involve reinstating some services for example the service 1 on a sunday, a lot of the services suffer from the badly designed road network in the town, the drivers strive to run a service but sometimes things are taken out of our hands, this afternoon for example at 3.30pm as i passed owton manor primary school a child of about 9/10 decided to throw a brick at the bus as it passed him this resulted in the bus having to stay where it was and the people on it transferred to the next service 3 which came along 30 mins later as due to there being no spare bus the one with the broken window had to return to the depot and this meant those people waiting for the 3:45 service 3 from the town to bishop cuthbert were left waiting 30 mins for the next bus, now the driver of that bus who was a victim of circumstance got nothing but earache for something which he had no control over.
as i say the stress levels of drivers can be very high but drivers of the town can help reduce this, if you see a bus indicating to pull away from a bus stop why not let the driver out it may put a couple of seconds on your journey but help that bus run to time, and before the accusations that drivers just pull out without any indication this may be the case on very rare occasions and i will not defend anyone who does so but is not the regular occurence some will make out.   

rabbit

The trouble with some of the services is that some roads are overused by busses, whereas others in the town have few services.

eg with the high frequency of the 1,3,4,6,7,36 etc routes, the York road through the town centre is chocker with them.
Surely a waste of resources.

How do you get from say Greatham to Seaton Carew by bus. Takes two busses and a longish journey for a short distance.
Yes I know you can take a taxi, but that is against the principle of a good public service infrastructure.

There must be many more such examples of routes which are overprovided and others which are suffering (due to public money being spent in the wrong way)

no6bus

no surely they use york road because that is the centre of town where people wish to go to and want to go there on one single journey, there is also the logistics of crew changes these need to be in the town centre as that is where our facilities are

Stig of the Seaton Dump

...obviously not where the transport interchange is !

Maybe the site of the library would have made a better mini bus station.
I don't believe it.