Events & HBC Involvement

Started by brassed off monkey, September 03, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brassed off monkey

Can anyone remember the Hartlepool Show, it was always a well attended yearly event, the following article in the mail set me wondering as to why it eventually folded.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/community/thousands-expected-for-weekend-s-peterlee-show-1-4886210

It seems strange to me that if Peterlee is still able to put on a show, why can`t Hartlepool, after all we have an events management team, i seem to remember a Ms Daurat being appointed to a managerial position after her work on the Tall Stories.

It seems to me that to try & heighten the profile of the town this "Events Team" should be doing rather more than they appear to be doing, should they have taken advantage of the recent success of the British Olympic Team as a source of inspiration ?

The cycling & sailing teams did an amazing job & ended up with a sack load of medals, could HBC events managers not used this as a source of inspiration & organised in conjuction with the local cycling club, & Hartlepool yacht club some sort of regional event.

A road race around the Town utilising the fantastic aspects along the towns promenades & a regatta in Hartlepool bay could well have been a viable & constructive promotion of Hartlepool.

I realise that these sort of events may be at the vagaries of the British weather, but i feel certain that they wouldn`t result in a £2 Million pound shortfall in any budget that was allowed by HBC.

The Great Dictator

The show was ceased in favour of a bi-annual maritime event in 2001 on the marina.
The event on Grayfields was a magnet for drunks and idiots alike and was not well attended towards the end.
The events were causing a lot of damage to the football pitches and several claims were made to the council for broken
ankles and other injuries. It should still be on the marina this year.