Retail revival strategy

Started by perseus, August 31, 2012, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

Well done to HTH for the main article on this issue. Very interesting and probably bang on the money that the £100,000 will end up with the consultants.
However, lets have a crack at it for free (and maybe they'll give us the money lol ). The article mentions a few obvious things which will help, like getting rid of the car parking charges.
Setting aside political differences for a while, keeping it friendly and staying on topic, what can we come up with?

rabbit

First, a request to Admin: Could you please put a link from the forum back to the "Front Page" of the HTH website?

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/

I, and I expect many other posters just log straight into the forum without visiting the "Front Page".

As for parking charges, I know that for many years now I have not parked in the town centre. I did when the parking was free.
I either use the bus to pop into town, or shop in the out of town supermarkets. (or elsewhere).

rabbit

Perseus: Good idea for the town centre cashback card!

I felt the urge to Google it and note that a Market Town website does promote such an idea (and others). I don`t know if Hartlepool could join up with the MYCARD scheme, as it may not fit the catagory of Market or small town.

http://towns.org.uk/files/AMT_TCentres.pdf

but I see that Rotherham which is a similar size to ours does have/had such a card, so why not here?

http://www.rotherhamtowncentre.co.uk/shoppingandleisure/discountsandvouchers.asp

steveL

There's a link to the main page on the top menu - at least there is on mine
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

This money should not be spent on the shopping centre as it is privately owned.
It should be spent on Raby rd, York rd, Park rd and Elwick rd.
Church st and Murray st have already had millions spent on them, give the others a chance.

Lucy Lass-Tick

I rather like that idea Perseus...maybe the farmers' market could be located there too?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Whilst I appreciate that it's a slightly more affluent area, Yarm High Street (and the Wynds which lead from it) demonstrate what can be achieved. 

rabbit

There's a link to the main page on the top menu - at least there is on mine

Not on my browser Steve-The links go back to the forum "front page" only, not the "main front page" at

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/

The Great Dictator

Bad idea i'm afraid, there is no advantage in pedestrianising York road as it is the main bus route into town.
If they did that you would only have 2 main arterial roads through the town from north to south.
If there was a major accident on stockton street or catcote road the town would grind to a halt.
It was suggested 10 years ago but booted out of council.

danny_boy

Rabbit - The link to the Main Page to HTH should appear if you are signed in (it doesn't if you're only browsing without signing in). Will you let me know if there is still a problem when you sign in? It maybe something to do with the permissions - if so, I need to sort it.

no6bus

Quote from: perseus on August 31, 2012, 07: PM
Not if you JUST made the bit i said traffic free. It's half way there already with the no left turn off park road to york road. The pedestrianised bit could be by passed using various routes. I bet if you ask the shops in that area they wouldn't see 'no advantage in it'.

really bad idea as it is the main access into the shopping centre and it backs up now imagine what it would be like with all other traffic diverted down there

mk1

Quote from: no6bus on August 31, 2012, 08: PM

really bad idea as it is the main access into the shopping centre and it backs up now imagine what it would be like with all other traffic diverted down there

If you divert all traffic Victoria Rd-Stockton Rd-Park Rd then you  make The 'Clansman' and Park Rd the main entrances to the Shopping centre. Is that a real problem?
Years ago the Boro bus (227) used to use Stockton Rd rather than York Rd.

PS.
Tell your Bunker mates the best way to get value on your train tickets is to 'split' the journey.
Example:
A Hartlepool to Manchester journey  is 50 quid return.
You can use the exact same train but buy a ticket to York return for 12 quid and then York to Manchester return  for 25.40 saving 12 quid.
A return to Scarborough is 50 quid from 'Pool but 30-37 if you split your ticket at York.
Never buy a ticket from Hartlepool to anywhere (apart from London) beyond York as a single ticket.
Get a seperate ticket for the journey from York and you always save money.
The ticket selling staff are forbidden from  telling  you about 'split tickets'!

rabbit

The link to the Main Page to HTH should appear if you are signed in

danny_boy: yes the link works ok when I am signed in

thanks

rabbit..........

AWB

The Mayor has already stated earlier in the year  that parking charges will not be abolished because the Council needs the parking income. I for one will not shop in the Town Centre because I refuse to pay the charges, I conducted a small survey with friends and neighbours and they all agree and they refuse to pay the fees. Why is the council  so stubborn over parking charges? Why not have a trial period of free parking , say 6 months and see if it makes a difference or maybe try with the first 3 hours free? Please HBC give it a try!What harm will it do? maybe get shot of one or two of the Wardens in the process!  Billingham still has free parking and their car parks are full, it is also starting a refurbishment of its Town Centre.

The Great Dictator

No Perseus, exercise a bit of common sense.
If you take away the stream of buses and cars from York road then you have no passing trade.
Passing trade is what shops rely on. If you don't have it then the shops will soon be empty.
Also, what do you do with the Clavering to Fens buses, talk sense man, or woman.