Ghost Ships coming back to haunt us?

Started by Turns Out Toxic, August 16, 2012, 12: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turns Out Toxic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01lhj0s

Who listened to this?

I decided to join as interested in hearing your comments on this very disturbing topic of rule and law breaking with no consequences other than contracts and cover ups for the chosen few?

admin

Appreciate the post bringing this excellent programme to people's attention. I doubt if many people caught it when it was broadcast and hopefully a lot more will listen to it now.

testing times

Yes thanks T.O.T. Excellent programme reminding us how we were conned into accepting this sh**e. We are, after all, in the back of beyond and therefore should accept anyone else's sh**e with gratitude. As the programme says, the Americans used to send their toxic ships to Bangladesh where they were beached and broken up by even poorer people with sledge hammers.
The logic was the same when they sent them to Hartlepool; it was just one rung further up the ladder of decency.

Turns Out Toxic

I had a feeling that people did not catch it and so took the plunge and posted it for you all.

I really think this should be followed up as to be so blatant in admissions is criminal in itself! 

Which Council, Enviro-Agency, police and other authorities not doing their jobs?

It is about time that it is not just phone hackers and media personalities who stand in the dock!

What a global scandal!  Please share as many others have no clue that this update is so important.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys.

Vincent

The final statement from Peter Tweddle says in all for me - if the people say NO that should be an end to it.

They have taken away our A&E against our will and allowed our air to be poisoned with toxins and asbestos by Able UK, what next nuclear subs?

Thank goodness for campaigners like Jean Kennedy and her daughter Michelle Plant who have to "shout the loudest" because of the apathy of others.

christine blakey

Facts are that it seems someone allowed these ships to come to Hartlepool against Maritime Law so why was this person (or persons) not made accountable?

It seems that some people can say anything they want to get a tender.  Can you imagine if everyone done this?

What I do not get is how did Able UK win the case when he did not have a dry dock which was against the conditions needed, not in line with?

To me, does this not show that HBC handled the case very badly or missed a key element to save us a seven figure sum as Stuart noted on air?

I cannot see how this was Friends of Hartlepool/Friends of the Earth's fault.  All they were doing was worrying about hazardous substances and the impact on our town.  I really cannot see a problem with that.

Alternatively, if Able UK were above board and had everything in place to deal safely with the ships, HBC should have been doing all to re-assure protesters and the public in general considering this was international, and it should have been made a tourist attraction.  I must admit, I had a drive passed and more could have been done to undo the half million damage and more that has been done.

Vincent

What a pompous prick you are KD

For your information my priorities are 1. Family 2. Hartlepool 3. England 4. UK 5. Whatever is best for the UK and 6. Whatever is best for the rest of the World.

Why is it that the democracy in this country that you defend has let this town and the people of this town down so badly, maybe we should have taken our arguments over the hospital and ghost ships to the European Court of Justice

steveL

For some reason, Hartlepool appears to have more than its fair share of these 'companies' involved in waste management of one description or another and they all (possibly without exception) seem to have one thing in common. From defying planning limitations, breaching asbestos Health and Safety regulations or suffering chronic 'bad luck' with used tyre fires - sooner or later, they all show themselves to have scant regard for the laws of the land and a preference for the profit motive instead.

As long as we're daft enough to accept it, then things will continue as they are.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

brassed off monkey

Quote from: steveL on August 22, 2012, 12: PM
For some reason, Hartlepool appears to have more than its fair share of these 'companies' involved in waste management of one description or another and they all (possibly without exception) seem to have one thing in common. From defying planning limitations, breaching asbestos Health and Safety regulations or suffering chronic 'bad luck' with used tyre fires - sooner or later, they all show themselves to have scant regard for the laws of the land and a preference for the profit motive instead.

As long as we're daft enough to accept it, then things will continue as they are.

They also make contributions to various "Voluntary Organisations", sponsor roundabouts, fun-runs & other activities that are then "Trumpted" in the mail.

You would think for all the world that Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, The Dalai Lama & Nelson Mandela, ran these companies.

Hartlepool has an appalling record on so many levels of Health & Welfare, that its about time HBC & it`s elected Councillors shunned any contact with unscrupulous companies that put profit before the wellbeing of the local population.

The mayor should organise an open topped bus trip around the various unsavoury areas of Hartlepool, so that Councillors, Officers & members of the local press can sample the sights & smells that abound within the towns boundaries.

Hartlepudlians have said No to many of the planning proposals for various waste re-cycling "facilities" but in many instances the opinions of the electorate have been totally ignored & planning permission has been granted, local democracy in action, not in Hartlepool it isn`t.

christine blakey

This topic has more than many shown that we are sitting back and letting this happen.  We should be getting together and approaching the Council on this. 

I must note that a letter has been circulated which has made the Environment Angency sit up and check but it will get us nowhere if this stands on it's own.  The radio broadcast demonstrates real breaches and I cannot understand how the court case resulted in such a huge payout when there was no dry dock????

I can see the tourism factor when the Tall Ships and Ghost Ships were there.  That is if there are no health and safety issues.  Tall Ships are a hazard if it has or will take valuable resource that should be used to sort our problems out before we glorify the town as all sorted!

It seems they earn their huge wages by crossing their fingers that the toxins we could be enduring are hidden or do not resurrect at the time of viewing!  Surely this is either gross misconduct or criminal offences?