Tourism Wingfield Castle and HMS Plymouth

Started by marky, August 01, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Dictator

I think it's a stupid idea, we don't have the resources to maintain any more ships.

marky

The idea, as I read it, was to accept that HBC are never going to change and that local groups should take charge of things like the Wingfield Castle - a sort of 'friends of Wingfield castle' group - such groups aren't uncommon in the town and could even go on to form some sort of Trust like the Trincomalee.
I realise that the idea is way to positive for your own appetite. You obviously have a story to tell to explain why you are so bitter about life.

rabbit

On a practical note,

When HBC (or whoever) decide they wish to inspect the hull of Wingfield Castle, how do they do it?

The one dry dock nearby is flooded and contains the Trincomalee. So I expect they would have to float the warship out into the dock, then move the W.C. into the dock, support the ship then drain the dock etc etc.

If HBC decided it wasn`t worth the effort, and go for scrappage, could it be scrapped in the area? (because it is too wide to pass through the marina lock gates to allow it to sail out to sea.)

If they did somehow manage to get it out of the marina in one piece, I understand there is a dry dock and a reliable ship breakerage company nearby at Graythorpe.

steveL

....a case of every silver ling has a cloud.... :o
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

I believe the RN would be only too happy to 'gift' any of their old warships. They are filled with asbestos and other bad things  and if Hartlepool did end up with one then disposing of it if things went ti**s up would be a very expensive exercise

The Great Dictator

The very idea shows that as a juvenile you are still wet behind the ears. I have been involved in many groups in the past 20 years and we found that
most whingers [HTH] are not prepared to put in the hours, presumably why this is why none of you are on the council. You might remember the other group that set up and failed and cost the council a small fortune, wasn't it the Phoenix centre ???
They were advised not to bother in the beginning but bit off more than they could chew, don't let the voice of experience put you off matey just be prepared to nail your sail to the mast.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Having an opinion, wanting things to change for the better etc. are not views you have to be a councillor to have.

Many of us don't have the luxury to be able to give up our day jobs or the child care to allow us to attend meetings outside school hours.

Don't throw us on the scrap heap because we don't have the time and money to be councillors, the scrap heaps around Hartlepool are far too big already.

I don't believe it.

The Great Dictator

marky

oh I like the trip to Panama idea...that should make the papers  ;D

mk1

Quote from: marky on August 05, 2012, 03: PM
oh I like the trip to Panama idea...that should make the papers  ;D

The Darwin's got the town more publicity that the Tall Ships ever generated.
Dumbo's big event got, at best, a silver. Darwin got the Gold!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-501643/Welcome-Seaton-Canoe-Local-joker-puts-sign-making-fun-canoeist-case.html

mk1

Today's People has a full page spread on Darwin. Great publicity for the 'Darwin Bar' and Seaton.
Dumbo had to spend a million to get that which Darwin gets for free!
How many national papers have ran a full page spread on the Tall Ships event?

Vincent

We have a chance to support our annual carnival - hope your all going to go down the Headland and cheer on all those involved?

Hartlepool needs something to attract visitors all year round, why not convert a redundant oil rig and make access to the public via an elevator. On top we could have all sorts of visitor attractions like interactive video's of how an oil rig works, museums, viewing platforms, funfairs, etc something like a verticle pier or our own Blackpool tower if you like, we could also have a Helter Skelter to bring them back down again (just joking)

mk1

I see tonight's Mail has a complete re-post of The People 'Darwin' story from Sunday. As usual the national press runs a Hartlepool story that is later picked up by the 'local' paper.
Pathetic.................

Lucy Lass-Tick

Sculpture of a large person? Maybe we could combine a clean up job with a tourist attraction and transform Seaton landfill into the likeness of one of our chunkier representatives... ;)