Little Englanders.

Started by Inspector Knacker, December 13, 2019, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

A term of endearment that oddly enough has one's fellow countrymen (labouring under the delusion they're cosmopolitan and enlightened) looking down their noses at you and considering  you a small minded xenophobic oaf.
So then, what term could be used to portray these lovely people?
The term 'little' implies somebody whose opinion or thoughts are of no consequnce and therefore irrelevant, worthless and suitable for sneering at.
The term 'Englander' has certain charming European connotations which somehow just doesn't  feel complimentary. I suppose glasses would help them to scrutinise things and see more clearly, probably a monocle. A small riding crop to slap against one's thigh or shiny boots would would give a rhythmic sense of Karma and understanding. And if all else fails a Mk IV  panzer would come in handy to impart a sense of superiority.
I've got it, 'Losers'.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on December 13, 2019, 02: PM
And if all else fails a Mk IV  panzer would come in handy to impart a sense of superiority.

Would that be a Pz IV L/48 or the L/70? Use the SdKfz Number to clarify your argument

The Pz IV was a pre-war design (1936) it would be a stretch to claim it was 'superior' by 1942.
Should you not be  promoting a British design anway? Try the A34 or even the A41.

akarjl2

if all else fails a Mk IV  panzer would come in handy to impart a sense of superiority.

Mk IV  or Mk1? ;)

I am not engaging with this character again - I find his description of anyone who wishes to leave as "Little Englanders" offensive.

Don't feed the Trol
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on December 13, 2019, 03: PM

Mk IV  or Mk1?

Does not apply. The Marks used letters of the alphabet. The pair of you are struggling badly.

Quote from: akarjl2 on December 13, 2019, 03: PM
I am not engaging with this character again - I find his description of anyone who wishes to leave as "Little Englanders" offensive.

But have you not just posted multiple times saying you never read my posts? Don't tell me you were lying and your are an avid reader.
If you prints (sic) out  a selection of what you consider your 'Greatest Hits' and laminate them to show the grandkids what a fearless Dragon-Slayer you were I will sign and dedicate them for you.

mk1

The term 'Englander' has certain charming European connotations which somehow just doesn't  feel complimentary.

If you think that is the German pejorative for 'us' then you are wrong. Goggle (sic) 'Inselaffe'

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on December 13, 2019, 03: PM
And if all else fails a Mk IV  panzer would come in handy to impart a sense of superiority.

Would that be a Pz IV L/48 or the L/70? Use the SdKfz Number to clarify your argument

The Pz IV was a pre-war design (1936) it would be a stretch to claim it was 'superior' by 1942.
Should you not be  promoting a British design anway? Try the A34 or even the A41.
You mean the Comet and the Centurion?, no one refers to them by their model numbers. The comet was there but I'd chose the MkIV every time. The centurion played no meaningful part as it arrived piecemeal at the end of the war but proved to be an admirable vehicle ....better still when re-engined with a diesel.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on December 13, 2019, 03: PM

The term 'Englander' has certain charming European connotations which somehow just doesn't  feel complimentary.

If you think that is the German pejorative for 'us' then you are wrong. Goggle (sic) 'Inselaffe'
I never said it was, but you being someone who takes everything literally will always have trouble comprehending how the lower classes think. Your constant need for attention results in the need to display your cleverdickishness, even if it is from Wikineedya (to help me again.)

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on December 13, 2019, 04: PM
....better still when re-engined with a diesel.

Centurion was problem because they insisted on using a British engine. Check the results of Canadian Army Trophy to see which Nation/tank have  been consistent winners since 1973. Its almost like a history of World Cup Final winners

Inspector Knacker

Not really interested in discussion the vagaries of British tank design.

Johnny Bongo

Mk1, did you make Airfix models by any chance?  I used to build '00' scale, tanks, planes, medic trucks, tank transporters....even an fdkfz 234.  The model kits were 50p each in the early seventies...a weeks wage for my paper delivery round. Ah, memories!

Lucy Lass-Tick

I'm waiting for a riveting thread on stamp collecting ...

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on December 13, 2019, 05: PM
I'm waiting for a riveting thread on stamp collecting ...
I used to collect stamps but gave up when my entire collection, like Brexit Party supporters, became unhinged.

As Basil Brush used to say Boom Boom!

Lucy Lass-Tick

More Jack Dee than Peter Kay.

mk1

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on December 13, 2019, 05: PM
Mk1, did you make Airfix models by any chance?  I used to build '00' scale, tanks, planes, medic trucks, tank transporters....even an fdkfz 234.  The model kits were 50p each in the early seventies...a weeks wage for my paper delivery round. Ah, memories!

I can remember when they were 2/-  for Series 1 and 3/6 for Series 2.

Single header-cards alone are selling for at least a pound on Ebay. Empty boxes even more.
I wish I were  one of those anoraks who never threw them away and kept them all........................

mk1

Not really interested in discussion the vagaries of British tank design.
Or the dominance of one European NATO member in this area since 1973?
Anyone care to guess which Nation?

The comet was there but I'd chose the MkIV every time.
That is the equivalent of saying (in 1945) you would  prefer The Hawker Hurricane to the Tempest.