The strike rumours. . .

Started by DRiddle, November 22, 2018, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

Various contacts of mine have spoken over the last week or so about a genuine possibility of staff within HBC pushing for a strike. Interestingly, the potential for a strike seems to have been arrived at NOT by the government cuts, but reportedly, many  staff have have reached a whole new level or disenchantment with council leadership.

The general jist of what's being said is staff are apoplectic are at the forthcoming redundancies The feeling is that the staff at the top end of the HBC pay scale have for too long let the ruling cabal of councillors call the tune. Disastrous financial decisions have been numerous and now the feeling is staff lower down the pay scale will face the dole queue as HBC desperately tries to balance its books.

The word is the tipping point for the staff came on hearing the news the that a significant sum of money had been spent on new carpets for the Rifty. Remember, this is DESPITE £30,000 worth of carpets already being in HBCs possession and reportedly gathering dust in storage.

Although that might seen minor when compared to the five, six and even seven figure decisions made within HBC routinely referred to on this forum, it seems to be more symbolic this time in that it is believed to be a decision which is quite clearly benefiting a very specific few at the expense of the many. (To paraphrase a core Labour slogan).

There's serious talk off staff lobbying the union looking to facilitate change at the upper end of HBC.

Now, losing the support of your CLP as a Labour leader is one thing. Losing support of your workers is another. But if you lose support of the UNION. . . you're finished.

Interesting rumour this one.

fred c

To be honest who could blame them, last year staff saw councillors get a £40 a week payrise, councillors who for 5 or 6 years had been overseeing visions and masterplans that had consistently lost large sums of money.

It's fairly common knowledge that council employees are brassed off not only with the elected officers but also with HBC management, you only need to look at the number of officers who have abandoned ship.

The puzzling thing about this news from David Riddle is how has it taken this long for the staff to get to his stage.

SRMoore

I feel I must step in and give information I have on this matter.

Whilst I have not heard any rumours about a strike (I sat on LJCC meeting with unions on Tuesday) I have made enquiries relating to carpets that have allegedly been purchased for the Rifty.

I requested a meeting with Gill Alexander to ask why HBC had allegedly purchased new carpets for the Rifty. I was told that the council has not. Whilst new flooring was needed following some kind of flood the replacement floorings have been paid for by the Rifty the Rifty Project themselves and it isn't carpet.

Make of that what you will but I asked the question and that was the answer I received. I'm sure it can be verified either way with an foi request and or a visit to the Rifty.

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: SRMoore on November 22, 2018, 10: AM

Whilst I have not heard any rumours about a strike (I sat on LJCC meeting with unions on Tuesday) I have made enquiries relating to carpets that have allegedly been purchased for the Rifty.

I requested a meeting with Gill Alexander to ask why HBC had allegedly purchased new carpets for the Rifty. I was told that the council has not. Whilst new flooring was needed following some kind of flood the replacement floorings have been paid for by the Rifty the Rifty Project themselves and it isn't carpet.

Make of that what you will but I asked the question and that was the answer I received. I'm sure it can be verified either way with an foi request and or a visit to the Rifty.

I, and many others, I'm sure, are under the impression that The Rifty is a HBC owned community centre.  Therefore, any work or maintenance would, I assume, be carried out by or on behalf of HBC and at HBC's expense.  If there was a leak, perhaps any remedial work  can be claimed on insurance.  Also, can the CEO produce any evidence of her statement, in view of these 'rumours'?  If she is found to be economical with the truth, shall we say (as if ::)) then she should be dismissed!  The truth WILL come out!

DRiddle

Thanks Shane, as I say a lot of what comes to the post can be fake news on occasions and the rumour that the Rifty had new carpets or flooring that COULD have instead been the other carpets in storage may well be untrue.

Either way, when staff are facing the dole queue shortly before Christmas as CAB arrives around like an extra from Miami Vice, you can't blame workers for being very frustrated.

jeffh

But that then begs the questions how can an unregistered charitable concern afford new floor coverings and where did the money come from?

Inspector Knacker

Surely there'll be the receipts for the new 'flooring'?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

pensionater

Driddle ,so you'll no doubt be putting out a statement saying the rumour you where spreading was wrong about the carpets.

ReturntoZenda

Why would he, it hasn't been disproved?

DRiddle

I wasn't "spreading it". In the same way that i wasn't spreading that the CLP were going to hold a vote of no confidence in the council leader. (Which proved to be true) I also 'wasn't spreading' that somebody had leaked a smearing story to the BBC about Carl Richardson (which proved to be true).

What i said was, there were reports that members of staff within HBC had heard that money was spent on flooring (whether that be carpet, lino, karndean or whatever) in the rifty. Staff were unhappy because they believed that the carpets in storage could have done the job and saved HBC money. They were also staff unhappy at the potential for money having been wasted in the face of staff facing redundancy.

Which bit have it got wrong? Was money recently spent on flooring in the rifty following a flood? Seemingly, the CEO has confirmed this to be true. Are staff facing redundancy? Yes they are. That is 100% true and was confirmed in a HBC press release.

The only blurred line is whether the carpets in storage from the CIL COULD have been used in the rifty. The answer from HBC will be a resounding "No they could not, it was the wrong type or flooring for that area of the Rifty". That's what will come out of HBC if they are pressed on the issue.

SRMoore

I don't know the particulars of the lease of the building the Rifty use but I know that a similar lease was arranged by HBC recently with another community centre and the understanding there is that everything inside of the building is the responsibility of the lease holders to maintain and everything outside is the responsibility of HBC.

If the lease is similar to that of the one I know of then it would be down to the leaseholders to repair damaged flooring and cover the cost involved.

For the record I am not attempting to defend either side here just giving information I know so that people can make their minds up. Playing it with a straight bat.

jeffh

But that then begs the questions how can an unregistered charitable concern afford new floor coverings and where did the money come from?

Inspector Knacker

I am surprupised it's possible to be able to lease an authority owned community centre. How can a council owned community asset be leased to anyone? Surely it's there for the use of the community?
Are the conditions of the lease and costs available to the public?
Is it common knowledge the public can therefore lease a council owned community centre (at what I expect to be a commercial rate)?

fred c

I guess Burbank Street is the other community asset ?.....If so, I wonder why ?

Given the conjecture surrounding the Rifty and My Cafe would it be to much to ask of an elected councillor to make known to the public the circumstances surrounding the lease of the Masefield Road Centre. ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: pensionater on November 22, 2018, 02: PM
Driddle ,so you'll no doubt be putting out a statement saying the rumour you where spreading was wrong about the carpets.
The boards very own Sandwich board man treading the hard pavements of the Internet with a brief pointless message no one notices.