Theres the council tax going up again

Started by kevplumb, August 31, 2018, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

Would it be asking too much if we the electorate were allowed access to all financial transactions undertaken by the authority. Actually, what would be the problem?
How much do we have on the reserves?
The reason I ask, is because if I had a big bill coming in and had plenty of money in the piggy bank, the last thing I'd be doing is telling anyone who'd listen I might be coming for a borrow after Xmas.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

HBC are teetering on the edge of the abyss......It was mentioned by the Peer Review Group a number of years ago and true to form the LabTor Mob knew better and ignored the advice given.

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: kevplumb on September 03, 2018, 06: PM
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/doomsday-of-the-deficit-hartlepool-council-chiefs-undertake-review-over-6million-black-hole-of-central-government-s-making-1-9332659

make sure you have a sick bag handy before reading  :D

Nothing new here then. Everything is down to 'Government Cuts' as you would expect, nothing is down to 'profligate waste by the local council(lors)'.

Is '6' the only key working on the council's calculator now ? I am sure I saw something last week about CT payers owing £6 million to HBC.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on September 03, 2018, 07: PM

Is '6' the only key working on the council's calculator now ? I am sure I saw something last week about CT payers owing £6 million to HBC.

Thought so - https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/business/hartlepool-s-unpaid-tax-bill-tops-6million-1-9321149

jawsbbc

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: jawsbbc on September 04, 2018, 02: PM
Quote from: kevplumb on September 03, 2018, 06: PM
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/doomsday-of-the-deficit-hartlepool-council-chiefs-undertake-review-over-6million-black-hole-of-central-government-s-making-1-9332659

make sure you have a sick bag handy before reading  :D
but is it not central government that hbc are receiving all the substantial grants from ??? ie church street water front ect ect ect

Church Street was financed by TVCA - much more local.

jawsbbc

my mistake  but hbc do not moan when they are receiving grants ect from CG

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: jawsbbc on September 04, 2018, 04: PM
my mistake  but hbc do not moan when they are receiving grants ect from CG

Dead right, they don't  ;)

Heknocks68

Heknocks68

Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA) includes the five Councils in Tees Valley: Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton.

The Tees Valley Shadow Combined Authority Leadership Board and the Government agreed in principle a radical devolution of funding powers and responsibilities.

A Combined Authority was formalised in April 16 and a directly elected Mayor for Tees Valley will be established from May 2017. The Mayor will work as part of the Combined Authority subject to local democratic scrutiny, and in partnership with business, through Tees Valley Unlimited, the Local Enterprise Partnership for Tees Valley. This agreement will be conditional on the legislative process, agreement by the constituent councils, and formal endorsement by the Tees Valley Combined Authority Leadership Board.

The deal provides for the transfer of significant powers for employment and skills, transport, planning and investment from central government to the Tees Valley. It paves the way for further devolution over time and for the reform of public services to be led by Tees Valley.

It enables the Combined Authority to create an Investment Fund, through a 30 year initial allocation of funding for capital financing of at least £15 million a year. Tees Valley will in addition have access to the Local Growth Fund and will benefit from new Enterprise Zones, subject to the current bidding round.

Heknocks68

Inspector Knacker

My major concern with Tees Valley is how the investment pot will be shared out and what our percentage will be. There's some grand schemes in the pipeline, but I fail to see any major projects coming our way. Financing vanity projects and fripperies may give the clique a warm glow and may well be good news in their world, but in the real world, new pavements for nearly new pavements is irrelevant tosh.
If our 'leader' is mixing with the big boys, he needs to set his targets a lot higher.
I get that uncomfortable feeling that once again we've been brought onboard to bulk the numbers up and little else. I suspect once again, we'll get scraps from the table
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Heknocks68

Based on observations of the document, would strongly agree.