Corbyn pledges £30b for investment in the South East

Started by Hartlepudlion, September 04, 2016, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartlepudlion

I don't remember him making a similar pledge when he was in the North East. Looks like Labour is to continue to ignore the North East - its "Labour heartland."

As an aside, I thought this was a Labour leadership contest? It seems to be more like a GE.

fred c

Theres more chance of being abducted by aliens than Corbyn 'ever' being in a postion to make true on his £30billion pledge....

Like many, I am of the opinion that the only way Hartlepool has of obtaining any government jobs is for it to become a Marginal seat, but even then, it's probably to late for that.

seaton

A politician made a statement the other day not only should we not go ahead with Hinkley but also HS2. HS2 will only provide a route south not in the opposite direction for people employed in the South.

Hartlepudlion

I agree Seaton. Scrap HS2and 3 and use the monies to improve NE communications. The obvious is to improve the transpennines routes including Newcastle and Carlise with good feeder links for other other towns. The only trouble is We have the combined Tees Valley to contend with. Middlesbrough, Stockton and Darlington would see the improvements but we will still have a 55minutes wait at  Thornaby.

Incidentally I've been told that the Scarborough/York route has a better transpennine link than the rest of the NE. Is it true?

jeffh

Scarborough to York is an hourly service whilst Middlesbrough to York is also hourly - both services then continue to Leeds and the North West.  Newcastle to York also has an hourly Transpennine service continuing to Leeds and the North West - so the North East has twice as many as Scarborough.

I also agree that the HS2 & 3 project money could be better spent on infrastructure investment in the North East - the mouth of the Tees could be developed to take large container ships - it already has a good rail link with an underused marshalling yard at Thornaby.  Some of the container ships currently using Teesport (about 6 a day) could come into Hartlepool - again an underused rail link is in Hartlepool Docks.  So not only do we the roots for such a project we also have the capacity.  Ironically much of the infrastructure is already here - problem is Westminster doesn't seem to realise - or want to!

just_a_thought

Middlesbrough and 'Teesside' are only interested in the electrification of the line to Teesport  which will allow electric London trains to run from Middlesbrough just like Newcastle. There's a bit of childish, penile envy going on if you ask me. They also want to reopen an old line through Stockton to give the Boro a direct route to Newcastle (that won't go through Hartlepool.)

As for Corbyn, he's too much part of the left-wing, London intelligentsia for my taste like his mate Diane Abbot. I doubt if she ever gets further North than the Northern Line.

Inspector Knacker

Middlesbrough has always had a municipal ego problem. It desperately wants to be a city, it's like a manic need. The Tees Valley will do for now as the other authorities bow down and an electrified route to London is a must for them, sadly they are a branch line not a through line as we are and will need to reshape the system to accommodate  their tantrums, the Teesport thing is needed to add a bit of credibility .
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

In fact why does the line to Teesport need to be electrified ? What is so special about this line that the normal diesel locomotives won't serve exactly the same purpose? This ain't fooling anyone.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.