Keep your hands off my plums...

Started by DRiddle, December 18, 2015, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

I guess all we really need to cap off an eventful week within HBC, is for news to break that 106 money which could have been spent on schools has instead been spent on growing some plums on Owton Manor.

Lord Elpus

HARTLEPOOL COUNCIL

PRESS RELEASE

Community orchard takes shape

A COMMUNITY orchard that is set to enhance a Hartlepool estate has been planted.

The orchard - which includes a number of apple, plum and pear trees - is situated on land to the west of Masefield Road at Rift House, within the Manor House ward.

The project has been spearheaded by the three Manor House ward councillors – Councillor Stephen Akers-Belcher, Councillor Marjorie James and Councillor Allan Barclay – in partnership with the Rift House Community Action Team (CAT), a local residents group.

Hartlepool Borough Council's Neighbourhood Services Policy Committee also pledged its support to the scheme.

Councillor Marjorie James, Chair of the Neighbourhood Services Policy Committee, said: "The orchard is a real community effort and complements the meadowing and wild flower planting scheme that has been carried out nearby."

Councillor Stephen Akers-Belcher added: "The community orchard will enhance the area and play its part in green spaces being used by the community.

"The orchard will provide a great focal point for the local community to learn about and participate in looking after and nurturing the local environment.

"It will also help us to promote healthier lifestyles by providing fresh fruit for use within the local community."

Funding to create the orchard was secured through a legal agreement with the developer of a housing scheme in Eskdale Road on the estate.

ENDS

for fawkes sake

Sometimes mere words just aren't enough.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

DRiddle

'Councillor Allan Barclay added "Hiccup" . . . '

Lord Elpus

I understand this costing well over £1000. 

fred c

As a resident of the Manor Ward..... I have to say, this is typical of the work done by the wards 3 Prize Plum councillors.....

The following quote from "Lying Ste" isn't so reassuring however.

"It will also help us to promote healthier lifestyles by providing fresh fruit for use within the local community."

As someone who clocks the scales at about 110kg.... I can't help but think he isn't speaking from experience.

Land Phil

Where do I apply for my fruit tree or I do not qualify being a Seaton resident ?  ;)

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: fred c on December 18, 2015, 07: PM
As a resident of the Manor Ward..... I have to say, this is typical of the work done by the wards 3 Prize Plum councillors.....

The following quote from "Lying Ste" isn't so reassuring however.

As someone who clocks the scales at about 110kg.... I can't help but think he isn't speaking from experience.

How many people live in the 'local community'?  How many fruit trees are there?  How much fruit/ individual pieces are (expected to be) produced?  Who qualifies for the fruit? Is it free? How do the Council protect the trees/ fruit from damage/ pilfering?  And finally...is one variety of apple grown there called 'Cranney Sniffs'? ;)

The Great Dictator

Waste of money, the little sh*ts that live there will uproot them within weeks.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

Well, looking at that photo I think it's safe to say it'll be a few years before we see a distinguished looking gentleman in a white suit and matching panama hat pull his car up in Rift House to start sampling the produce.

"The man from Del Monte!!.... he say.... he say.... he says he'll come back in 4-6 years..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUNmNLdffaM

Lord Elpus

The chances of trees of this size surviving seems slim, talking of slim, I'm amazed just how obese these three appear to have become. 

steveL

Morrisons

8 Gala Apples for £1
or
56 apples for the price of a packet of cigs
80 apples for the price of a 12 pack
360 apples for the price of a Sky Sports Subscription

.....it's all about choices innit and frankly, having 3 obviously obese people talking about 'promoting healthier lifestyles' is just plain silly.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Land Phil

Should be a bumper crop as the orchard looks coved in fertiliser.

mk1

I think this trio double as a roller when they want to smooth off school fields. Barclay looks as if he has sh*it himself. Makes a change from staggering home from the pub with with a big damp patch down the front of his jeans.