CAB Admits to Meeting - The Wynyard Effect

Started by steveL, February 28, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/

Is this the way  local government should work ?

I would think most people would find these kind of "Business" dealings to be less than transparent & open to allegations of skullduggery.

Will the Mail now ask "The Dear Leader" a few pertinent questions about his discussions with the Wynyard Developers ?

Lord Elpus

So how does this look to the 'man in the street'?

A Local Authority spends years developing a local plan which identifies key areas for housing and business development.  This is not done in isolation but through protracted discussion with neighbouring Authorities.

Some dude acquires a large plot of land and realises that he'll get more profit building houses than factories, Offices, etc.   But this is against a current and proposed new Local Plan.

He has a word with local failed businessman 'cowboy' property developer type in the know, who fix it for them to meet influential politicians.  Local plan is then abandoned against Officer advice.

One then has to ask what could be the possible motive?

brassed off monkey

Quote from: Lord Elpus on February 28, 2014, 03: PM
So how does this look to the 'man in the street'?

A Local Authority spends years developing a local plan which identifies key areas for housing and business development.  This is not done in isolation but through protracted discussion with neighbouring Authorities.

Some dude acquires a large plot of land and realises that he'll get more profit building houses than factories, Offices, etc.   But this is against a current and proposed new Local Plan.

He has a word with local failed businessman 'cowboy' property developer type in the know, who fix it for them to meet influential politicians.  Local plan is then abandoned against Officer advice.

One then has to ask what could be the possible motive?

Bungs

mk1

Hey-use the proper words-'donations to the Mayors Charity'.
I wonder how much Tom Thumb is set to trouser..............

whatabouthisthen

testing times

whatabouthisthen

Usually quicker than that. Get on to your Councillors to get you a copy. Afterall, that is what they are there for, to serve the public YOU the residents of Hartlepool

steveL

As I understand it, CAB just relied on saying that there was nothing unusual about meeting developers.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

I have noticed "The Deary Me Leader" is looking more than a little frayed around the edges in the Photo on the front page, maybe time for a Mail Make-Over.

steveL

As predicted, the planning application from the Wynyard Housing Developers will we re-heard and nodded through by the Planning Committee on April 1st - an appropriate date as someone is clearly taking us all for fools. There's now no local plan in place to prevent it.

The land is adjacent to the hospital land so an ideal opportunity to expand and give the Trust its £7m back at an appropriate time. It'll end up as the new Ingleby Barwick.

Incidentally, I hear ASDA have sold out of brown envelopes.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: steveL on March 01, 2014, 10: AM
As I understand it, CAB just relied on saying that there was nothing unusual about meeting developers.

It's true, its normal for a Leader to meet possible developers within a LA.

However, It's not normal for a 'Leader' to meet a Developer and then within weeks scrap a local plan against Officer advice, especially when it is to the direct advantage of the said Developer and when their development had previously been recommended refusal by Planning Officers. 

All at a estimated cost of at least £2.5 to the Tax payer.  Good governance my a*se.

testing times

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with council leaders meeting with developers. I would take that as normal contact though if were related to a specific possible development then at the very least I would expect it to be formally minuted. There must surely be some sort of conflict here. Members of the Planning Committee are supposed to approach each planning application without prejudice so what is the position when their group leader has already nailed his colours to the flag?

In any case, in my view this is the Hartlepool Post at its best. Highlighting and publishing things that some councillors would rather we didn't know about; doing what a local newspaper should be doing. I am totally convinced that something is very, very wrong here and those responsible should not be allowed to get away with it.

The clues are all in the timings given in that excellent article and the sudden change in position. I find the way that the Traveller issue has been cynically used as a smoke screen for all of this to be an utter disgrace.

Facebook

fred c

In the Interest of Openness & Transparency any decision on the proposed 600 houses to be built at Wynyard should be Deferred / Refused pending a full & "Independent Inquiry" into the circumstances surrounding "The Dear Leader & His Mob`s" "Vision" to Bin the town plan.

There is something totally unhealthy in how this situation has come about & given the controversy over the cost of the now defunct town plan & the unreliable proposed costs of the new one, HBC should be very careful about granting permission for any development until the whole episode is looked into.