Mail Circulation

Started by steveL, December 11, 2013, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Just for general info:

2012 Circulation figures for the Hartlepool Mail and published in February this year showed a 14.3% year-on-year drop to 11,473. Presumably there'll be a new set of figures published in the New Year for 2013. It's not just a Mail thing - Newspapers generally are getting hit for six.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2013/news/abc-figures-how-all-the-regional-dailies-performed/

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

Interesting. I heard a few weeks ago that The Mail will be going weekly at the end of the financial year in March/April which is the same time that the photographers leave after being served with their redundancy notices. Shame really when you think about how things used to be.

mk1

The mail is a total loss. It reprints press releases news and is totally uncritical of every council action.
Of late is has become nothing more than an excuse for a brassy blonde to suck up to the SCABs and the Niramax filth dumping  charity donation machine.

Sanddancer

Does this circulation drop coincide with the move to Sheffield ?  In which case who can be surprised...a once evening paper which has been transported from South Yorkshire and is regularly available before 10 am in Asda.

steveL

The decline in the circulation of Newspapers, particularly regional Newspapers, has been going on for years. I can remember when The Mail's circulation was about 17,000 and that would be about 4 years ago - so I guess we are talking of an average drop of 1,500 copies per year.

I read somewhere recently where Allan Barclay (of all people) said that the current circulation of The Mail was around 9,000 which may well turn out to be right given that the 11,000+ figure is more than 12 months old. We should know for sure by next February.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

If you took the football coverage out then the Mail would take a big hit and if it's true about it going weekly then a lot of supporters will turn to other sources for their info - like Pools own website which is actually pretty good.

That doesn't leave a whole lot in The Mail. Bonnie Babies, the Terminally Ill and a bunch of Press Releases from HBC, Cleveland Police and the Hospital Trust

fred c

I lost faith in the Mail a while back, i came to realise that it was doing more harm than good to the town & it`s residents by continually backing "The Mob" & it`s Dear Leader".

By not bothering to investigate what was actually going on in the town & instead, relying on press releases from the HBC Propaganda Ministry, it has now become disenfranchised from it`s readership & consequently less people actually buy the paper.

The sad thing is that the paper could have influenced so many causes that would have benefited the town & could even have "Made a Difference" instead it has become something of a joke in it`s support for the Dynamic Duo & their cronies.

norfolkngoode

Quote from: fred c on December 11, 2013, 07: PM
I lost faith in the Mail a while back, i came to realise that it was doing more harm than good to the town & it`s residents by continually backing "The Mob" & it`s Dear Leader".

By not bothering to investigate what was actually going on in the town & instead, relying on press releases from the HBC Propaganda Ministry, it has now become disenfranchised from it`s readership & consequently less people actually buy the paper.

The sad thing is that the paper could have influenced so many causes that would have benefited the town & could even have "Made a Difference" instead it has become something of a joke in it`s support for the Dynamic Duo & their cronies.

I think thats about right Fred, you've hit the nail on the head......
Its a shame really, that something that has been part of the town for so long is now likely to disappear  in the not to distant future.
'They don't like it up em'

Inspector Knacker

The Mail is a local paper that isn't local.... it's like reading a paper written by compliant 12 year old English language students in a remote  area of  North Korea, accustomed from birth to accepting unquestioningly any official statement, who get all their facts over the internet ......  and we get to read the result.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

testing times

any loss which affects the means to keep the public informed has to be a bad thing

Garthwd

Quote from: Sanddancer on December 11, 2013, 05: PM
...a once evening paper which has been transported from South Yorkshire and is regularly available before 10 am in Asda.
I subscribe to the iPad version and have known "the nights Mail" to be available before 5am

seaton

The problem with the Mail there is generally no local news in it apart from the usual reports from the courts.
The football pages unless Pools are playing are all about Newcastle, Sunderland with a sprinkling of Moddlesbrough, even the special offers are for Sunderland FC. Yes we have a few supporters in the town of the afore mentioned teams but they are not going to buy the Mail to read about them.
I also believe that the younger people of today don`t buy newspapers and if they do its either the Sun or Star for all the gossip. The majority of people today are not interested in World Politics/UK Politics , you just need to look at the turn out in elections,only who has won or what has happened in X Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, Eastenders, Coronation Street etc.
Newspaoers in their current form will disappear very soon as most people will be reading them on an E-Book,lets be honest most of the news is `second hand` as its been on TV the day before. In the modern age with Sky you can get `up to the minute` news on your phone.
We are the only nation from my experience who actually buy a newspaper on the way to work.

mk1

I agree but what has that got to do with a paper that reprints the Council press releases without any critical comment?
I see a drop in free dinners for Joy and her Niramax charity events though.................

The Great Dictator

The mail was a joke before he took over and never changed much under his tenure, he was completely out of his depth.

norfolkngoode

Quote from: The Great Dictator on December 14, 2013, 05: PM
The mail was a joke before he took over and never changed much under his tenure, he was completely out of his depth.

And got much much worse after he was sacked!.......... Which was when I stopped reading it.
'They don't like it up em'