Dangerous Dog

Started by tankerville, November 08, 2013, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tankerville

I have had my pet attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier while walking him on his lead. Police were called who tried to imply that I was at fault.

The officer said he's a nice friendly dog I've just been stroking him while speaking to the owner.

The outcome of it all is that the owner has agreed to keep it on a lead. 'Fat chance' this dog as been responsible for five seperate attacks.

He told the owner of a King Charles cavalier his dog had just attacked not to be such a drama queen and slammed the door in her face.

In view of the recent dog attacks highlighted on the news I'm disgusted at the lack of action by Police.

Council Enforcement have informed that if they see the dog loose they will ask to put it on a lead.

Police are directly responsible for the control of dangerous dogs it would seem however that some dogs are less dangerous than others.

I'm not implying that all Staffordshire Bull Terriers are dangerous. But this one is.

norfolkngoode

Quote from: tankerville on November 08, 2013, 08: AM

The officer said he's a nice friendly dog I've just been stroking him while speaking to the owner.

Did he show you his credentials as an animal behavioural expert? Did he witness the dogs behaviour with other dogs?

It doesnt sound like it.

We all know now that even experts get it wrong, displayed recently with the death of that poor 4 year old after being mauled by the family pet.

Dont expect any help from plod, tanker, dealing with the general public........
Its all too much like hard work for them. ;)
'They don't like it up em'

stokoe

take a 9 iron out with you and tw@t it one.

tankerville

Quite right; Police are simply not interested. But if I let my dog foul without picking it up 'I Don't'  WHAM H.B.C enforcement & POLICE are there in a flash to uphold the law along with £80.00 fixed penalty.

I now carry a steel pipe to protect my dog from attack if that means facing prosecution for carrying a potential lethal weapon. Then so be it.

I'll take that chance and have my say in court.

allinthistogether!!

Where were you Tankerville to be attacked?

The police aren't interested pure and simple. Bigger fish to fry, like doing over motorists! I would say if the police aren't going to offer a level of protection then carry a pipe, stick or cane.

The dog may well be friendly with humans and sit there to be patted, however it is clearly a different story when it is with other dogs. How a police officer with such a high level of responsibility cannot see that is beyond me. It makes me wonder how some coppers get into the profession as i thought common sense was needed in stacks?! They have a duty of care to ensure a dog isn't running round causing trouble and should pull their fingers out and deal with it. But like i say, it is easier to sit eating doughnuts in the back of a cameravan outside Lidl!!!!!!!

I know dogs which are soft with people but who would fight with other dogs. What can an owner do? Keep it on the lead. Pretty simple solution! All too often i have asked people to put their dogs back on leads as they come bounding up to mine in an aggressive manner...if your dog does not have 100% recall it should not be off the lead in a public place end of. It happens all the time and has lead me to wear steel capped boots which seem to quell any issues there and then.

An example from yesterday but not involving me, i was cycling back from town through Hartfields near the ponds, i went over the hill and there was a Dalmatian off the lead. The owner just stood there as his dog ran up to two women and their dogs (on lead) snapping and barking at the Pomeranian's or whatever they were. He made no attempt to call it back and the women had to get between the dog and theirs and kind of usher it away. I know it's a dog friendly area but if that was me i would be absolutely fuming.

We should be able to enjoy our walks with our pets not wonder what is round the next corner!

tankerville

I walked round the corner into Ernest Street the dog was on his lead when this Staffie rushed at me. I placed myself in front to protect him from being mauled. It's not the first time Police have done bugger all forgive my French.

Another young Staffordshire Bull Terrier was loose on the estate it attacked two dogs and the owner, it then started to scratch at a front door the owner opened thinking it was his friends dog.

It rushed in grabbed his pet dog my the throat and would not let go a neighbour came to the rescue hearing the screams blood everywhere he got its jaws open and he was badly bitten on his arm.

Police were called 'I was there' and said to the officer what if this had been a child? 'No Reply.

The outcome of it all was this. The Police officer said ..WAIT TILL EVERYONE HAS GONE THEN LET IT LOOSE!

Is it any wonder that I'm annoyed? So I'm making an official complaint to Cleveland Police holding them directly responsible if my dog comes under attack by this dangerous dog again.

allinthistogether!!

I would. They are useless and at least a complaint will possibly set the ball rolling. Bringing it to the attention of the media will too, portray Cleveland police in a bad light and it'll have them taking it more seriously. Is your dog alright?

I have had lots of issues with dogs running riot, American Bulldogs, German Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs...you name it, the muppets on this estate own it and let it do whatever it wants. Usually they want to attack and/or chase my younger dog, a young Spaniel who poses no threat to man nor beast...my older dog, her father and an older beefier Spaniel, takes the huff with this and sticks up for her with a display of aggression. It shouldn't have to come to that though!

mk1

Quote from: allinthistogether!! on November 09, 2013, 11: AM

The dog may well be friendly with humans and sit there to be patted, however it is clearly a different story when it is with other dogs. How a police officer with such a high level of responsibility cannot see that is beyond me.

Dog biting dog is not a criminal offence. It is as simple as that.

Times change. When I was growing up it was normal to see dogs playing in the street with kids. Today you hardly ever see one. Only yesterday I saw a small dog  out in a street near me and it stood out. I was looking around to see who was with it. 

tankerville

I'm afraid your wrong on this Mk1.

The Dangerous Dogs Act section 3 1991 clearly states proceedure which can also result in a hefty fine or prison sentence for the owner as well as the dog being destroyed.

The only drawback is this;

Police have to enforce the Act.

Thank's to those asking about the dog he's fine.

allinthistogether!!

Quote from: mk1 on November 09, 2013, 05: PM
Quote from: allinthistogether!! on November 09, 2013, 11: AM

The dog may well be friendly with humans and sit there to be patted, however it is clearly a different story when it is with other dogs. How a police officer with such a high level of responsibility cannot see that is beyond me.

Dog biting dog is not a criminal offence. It is as simple as that.

Times change. When I was growing up it was normal to see dogs playing in the street with kids. Today you hardly ever see one. Only yesterday I saw a small dog  out in a street near me and it stood out. I was looking around to see who was with it.

Oh well we'll just let dogs run round attacking others then eh  ::)

mk1

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/Dangerous_Dog_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_(web)_final.pdf

Owner or person in charge of a dog
dangerously out of control in a public
place, injuring any person
Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3(1))

Owner or person in charge allowing a
dog to be in a private place where the
dog is not permitted to be, injuring
any person

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (section 3(3)(a))

I have had dogs all my life large and small. Sometimes they bit other dogs and sometimes they were bitten.  One Alsation sized dog was very badly bitten by a Rotty that was completely docile with people . All dogs  chase cats and it is only the fact they can't catch them that avoids a death.
What I am saying is that this is a fact of life with dogs.

I find most  people who claim they like dogs really  mean is they like their dog and dislike all other dogs.  I had serious problems with a neighbour who claimed my dog bit hers through the  back door and said it cost a couple of hundred quid in vets bills. She made a complaint to the police and they saw me and  simply explained the facts and said they would not get involved. Feeling guilty I said if she gave me the vets bills I would pay them. I never saw a bill and also never could see scars either. The complaint was a fabrication.

mk1

Quote from: allinthistogether!! on November 09, 2013, 09: PM

Oh well we'll just let dogs run round attacking others then eh  ::)

No. Just stop wasting Police time by involving them.

bill

The Police are far more interested in catching motorists that are 3 or 4 miles over the speed limit! Anyone got a spare bit of lead pipe! If a dog attacks my dog - I will do what I need to do!

tankerville

Mk 1 Please there is no need to be aggressive with your posting on this subject blaring headlines does not warrant such a reply.

In the process of protecting my pet. The dog bit my hand it was rather fortunate because of the cold I was wearing thick gloves at the time so the skin wasn't broken.

The officer was informed of this and replied.  He's a nice friendly dog I've just been stroking him.

Once Bitten Twice Shy!

Lord Elpus

Look on any dog re-homing site and Staffies will out number all other breeds there, in the right hands they are a loyal and affectionate breed, in the wrong hands they are a liability.  I've had dogs ever since I was 5 years old and if I see a Staffy off lead with a young lad the chances are there'll be trouble for other dogs.  I only ever had one dog that was very aggressive with people and other dogs, (cairn terrier) he was put down before he did any serious damage.

Germany took a very harsh line and 'following the tragic death of a child, in July 2000 the German authorities passed laws on dog control which affects all dog owners coming to or living in Germany. The laws have banned outright certain breeds of dog, which may not be brought into Germany. These banned breeds are: Bull Terriers, Pitbull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers or crossbreeds from any of these named breeds. If you own one of these breeds and are coming here, you will not be able to bring your dog with you'.

Too many people irresponsibly breed Staffies and still breed aggression into the pups. 

The Dangerous Dogs act has been ignored by the yobs and pit bull types are still out there.  recent deaths shows the problem in one of irresponsible ownership combined with a volatile breed, a recipe for disaster.  I agree the Police are not doing enough.