They looked at Dumbo and decided not to follow..........

Started by mk1, May 04, 2012, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

It seems the rest of the country looked at Dumbo and took fright at it happening to them!
Tellingly the BBC missed out a town when listing elected Mayors today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17963627

After all, he says, there are now elected mayors in London, Leicester, Liverpool, Bristol and Middlesbrough

I have heard it said many times now the reason the Tories are so keen to force these idiots on us is because they know they will rarely get control of the big cities via councilors so they give their supporters the chance to elects a non-labour Mayor to block the labour majority.

testing times

I wouldn't object to a return to the old Cerremonial Mayor and Committe system but at present this doesn't seem to be on offer; only a switch from having a Mayor elected by the people to a Leader of the Council, with the same executive power, elected solely by Councillors. Given the chart on the main page, which shows just how dubious is the mandate of the largest party, I would have serious doubts about such a system. The fact is, more people vote in the Mayoral elections than did in last Thursday local election and that to me makes them more representative of the wishes of the people whether or not individuals like the result.

not4me

Straight Talking

Quote from: kipperdip on May 06, 2012, 04: PM
MK1 - Regarding your first paragraph I made the exact same point on the Elected Mayor's thread.

I reckon that if you work on the simple principle that if the collective political classes want something it's most definitely something to avoid - like the bloody plague.
Thank goodness 9 out of 10 cities said NO to elected Mayor's in the referenda held on Thursday last.
There's hope yet.

Good point, well made in your second paragraph.

I agree, but bravery has a cost - The Government was about to release millions to assist Newcastle and the north to create and sustain jobs - they are now going to delay this money being released because the North dared to say NO we don't want an elected Mayor.

notinshadow

Yes but your Labour mob wanted one until S.D. got in and held on for dear life to the job.

The power of Facebook eh.

Straight Talking

You can keep carping LLTA, but as I understand it, there are many within the Labour Party in Hartlepool who never supported the election of Mayors.

Once the people of Hartlepool decided at a referendum that they wanted to have one, like all political parties they had little choice other than to field candidates.

The move to council committees, therefore valuing each and every Councillor in decision making and the return to a Ceremonial Mayor will not only be more true to the history of Hartlepool but will also save around £50,000 per year. So a win win for everyone concerned.

notinshadow

Quote from: Straight Talking on May 07, 2012, 07: PM
You can keep carping LLTA, but as I understand it, there are many within the Labour Party in Hartlepool who never supported the election of Mayors.

OK lets go back to when S.D. was first elected..wasn't it Gillen who had his nose put out on joint over it..wasn't Mandy giving him a helping hand..
How much more Labour is that..

Once the people of Hartlepool decided at a referendum that they wanted to have one, like all political parties they had little choice other than to field candidates.

They didn't have to, they could have stood firm with their principles but didn't ,as they couldn't find any.

The move to council committees, therefore valuing each and every Councillor in decision making and the return to a Ceremonial Mayor will not only be more true to the history of Hartlepool but will also save around £50,000 per year. So a win win for everyone concerned.

A mayor is a good idea, just not one we have to foot the bill for.

notinshadow

Straight Talking

notinshadow

mk1

It is no good being clever if nobody gets the  pun.
Having to explain a joke rather defeats the original intent.

The Great Dictator

In 2002, Labour members didn't want a Mayor but were forced to accept it by Adolf Blair.

notinshadow

Why did Gillen run with Mandy backing him up "T" ?