CAB looks to over rule the government on the bedroom tax

Started by DRiddle, August 29, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartlepudlion

Looks to me that next year's local election and the 2015 general election campaigns have started.

Also good diversionary tactic to lower the parade and Hart exposures.

Hartlepudlion

Just thought I would add that the other parties particularly PHF should be starting their campaigns or at the very least planning for them

fred c

HBC are having to make savings of £4 Million Pounds over the next year, that will undoubtedly result in cuts in amenities & services that are presently available to everyone.

So is it really "Fair & Equitable" ? that "The Deary Me Leader & The Mob" give almost 10% of that £4 million to 1500 households, in some instances to pay back "Rent Arrears".

This is yet another example of SCAB Gerrymandering, it is in effect a bribe to the Labour Core Voters........... Just like they did In The Manor Election to the detriment of Hart/Bishop Cuthbert/Clavering over the Gypsy Sites.

The rest of us who are also suffering from the financial problems the council face can basically...... Go and Take a Flying F**k to ourselves.

Only In Hartlepool

DRiddle

I agree with a lot of the above, although I think we're into conflation of separate issues now. There's the issue of the 'tax' itself, and the issue of what HBC intend to do.

Regarding the tax, i think anyone with half a brain can see that this is basically the latest in a long line of tory attempts to privatise the countires social housing stock.

The main difference being, where as Maggie sold the council houses to the concil tennants, this time the social housing provision will be driven to the point that it's financially unsustainable, and the properties will ultimately end up in the hands of banks and then be bought up by the private sector.

This is essentially "Rachmanism", but this time the government itself is Peter Rachman.

The actual decision by HBC to off set the 'tax', i still think is illegal and may potentially be shown to be so.

Even if it is LEGAL, as steveL says, they'll only get away with this once before the DWP prevent this form happening again and at the same time may well withdraw the whole pot altogether.

So Labour risk actually harming the genuinely needy in the long term, by helping them in immediate term.

seaton

I think the DWP will be looking in to this. The people who are in line to receive this payment wiil be on `means tested` benefit and this money will taken into account as its an income.
At the end of the day if it is proved illegal or otherwise, the Council will say they made the effort to help people but were `blocked`by the Conservative government.

rabbit

If the council  asks the D.W.P. if it is legal to give cash (to offset rent arrears) they will be told where to go.

The D.W.P. would advise that it is not legal to use this money in this way, and if they did do so, the council could be subject to penalties.

ARC86

Is there absolutely anything that Labour do that will be backed by PHF? See it for what it is its help for struggling families who cant downsize due to the lack of properties in town.. if the DWP have decided that localism is the way forward which they have then you should expect more of this.

What would PHF do with the money? Or will they not be whipped to vote against? You cant run the town the way PHF are proposing

grim reaper

"Can't run the town the way PHF are proposing" says ARC86.

So all of the devious shenanigans, duplicity, dereliction of duty and mendacity IS the way to run the town????  :(
I don't think so.

You obviously can't/don't want to see this for what it is...a bribe, pure and simple.  ::)

I for on look forward to them receiving a legal letter from the DWP.

There are avenues for those in real hardship...I had to live in with my parents until I was 26 and had saved enough for a deposit. These days everyone wants things from leaving school...doesn't matter who pays for it.

ARC86

You miss my point grim reaper

PHF councillors can vote how they like.. so if they were a majority on Hartlepool Council, how on earth can they take the town forward if members dont agree with each other.. we will be left with exactly what happened last night in Parliament

ARC86

Until they form some sort of voting pattern they cant be credible and i cant support them

steveL

Quote from: ARC86 on August 30, 2013, 04: PM
Is there absolutely anything that Labour do that will be backed by PHF? See it for what it is its help for struggling families who cant downsize due to the lack of properties in town.. if the DWP have decided that localism is the way forward which they have then you should expect more of this.

What would PHF do with the money? Or will they not be whipped to vote against? You cant run the town the way PHF are proposing

From the position Labour are currently in, I don't think they're in any position to be telling others how things should be run.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Quote from: ARC86 on August 30, 2013, 05: PM
You miss my point grim reaper

PHF councillors can vote how they like.. so if they were a majority on Hartlepool Council, how on earth can they take the town forward if members dont agree with each other.. we will be left with exactly what happened last night in Parliament

I'd say what happened last night was called democracy. We don't see it very often under whipped party politics but sometimes, as happened last night, enough members of a party choose to ignore their own leadership and vote with their own conscience.

Sure it irritates the Leaders. There will always be that small number of meglamaniacs who believe the first duty of others is to agree with their own views thereby granting these few a disproportionate level of power. It's much harder winning people over by persuading them of the solid nature of your case.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Quote from: ARC86 on August 30, 2013, 04: PM

Well they could all grow a pair and dump CAB - I'm sure PHF would be fully behind that one.

clavering codhead

In 2008 the company who I work for were badly affected by the recession and informed staff that they would have to work an extra 3 hours a week and have a 10% pay cut or they would make 20-25 people redundant, when this happened I asked the council for help in paying my council tax or delaying payment until things picked up, I also did this with my gas and electric payments.

In all cases I was told it wasn't possible to do this and I had to pay the full amounts when payment was due every month.

Can anyone tell me why my council tax payments can subsidise this when I was offered no help?

One of the people in the story is a degree educated artist, are you telling me he cant find work or does he just not want work because he wants to paint instead?

grim reaper

Ahhh, I get your point now,ARC86.   :)
However, I think that when one joins 'Putting Hartlepool First' you have a common cause....to PUT HARTLEPOOL FIRST.

Whatever the issue to vote on, and realising different people have different opinions, the over-riding ethos of PHF is HARTLEPOOL, and not some diktat from Central Govt.

What happened last night in Parliament is democracy in action.
Cameron thought his way was best but even his own MPs didn't agree and voted accordingly, because it was thought NOT to be best for this country.

The same with PHF and Hartlepool.    G. Lilley may think he's the big cheese but if the other party members disagreed with him over some aspect, what's good for the town would be the over-riding factor.

Surely to God, labour has no credibility left in this town?  >:(
Look at the 86% of people in Manor that didn't get off their backsides and go and vote.
The total disillusionment with labour in this town made them stay at home.
Had 50% of those gone and voted, labour would not have got in.  ::)

People can see that, for instance, MRA would not be in the mess it is in if it wasn't for 'mismanagement' by;
a labour accountant,
labour management,
labour trustees,
and supporting labour councillors.  >:(   >:(

The whole system stinks and people don't believe, after 50+ years of labour in the town, that anything will change.
Well folks, it can and will but YOU need to get off your butt and VOTE THEM OUT!  :)