Time to Dissolve Cleveland Police?

Started by craig finton, November 08, 2012, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig finton

As the elections for the Police Commissioner job draw near, I can't help but wonder if there should be another option offered to the public on November 15 aside from the choice of candidates. That additional option would read something like: "Do you think that Cleveland Police should be abolished and merged with a neighbouring Police force?"

I say this because of the present seemingly ever growing list of arrests, enquiries, investigations and disciplinary procedures taking place against executives and Police Authorities members of the force. It occurs to me that if we add the cost of the present Sacristy investigations to that of Operaton Lancelet then we are presented with perhaps the most costly crimes ever to take place within the Teesside Area - ironically instigated by the force itself.

The Police Authority has allegedly been there to monitor the activities of the force and to ensure the proper execution of its duties. As we now know, the PA has become not so much the guarantor of probity but part of the problem instead. The latest revelation suggests some sort of separate fraud by previous Police Authority Chairman, Mr McLuckie and leaves me with a sense that the more rocks lifted, the more crimes and dodgy deals are revealed.

When you add in the various misdemeanors  of uniformed staff, have we arrived at a point when it is legitimate to say that Cleveland Police is not fit for purpose?

I suggest we are about to see a very poor turnout on November 15th, partly through public apathy but partly too, given we are essentially talking about a very rotten barrel of apples, due to the lack of that additional option.

Julie noted

An erudite piece, Mr F. I fully agree.

'Cleveland' has never been good for Hartlepool, and I don't just mean the police force!
Talking of which, one of the crowd from the gym, (you know, one of our new readers due to the ddos scandal) has been following the police posts on here and mentioned a book her husband is reading, regarding police corruption.
'Bent Coppers' by Graeme McLagan.
From those on the beat, right up to the top involved in corruption and theft.

What about a bank van robbery that was carried out by an armed gang...over £200,000 stolen.
The police raided the villains home and confiscated the money...AND SHARED IT OUT BETWEEN THEMSELVES!!!!!!
Of course the crooks couldn't go to the police and complain!
That is just the tip of a very corrupt iceberg. A rivetting book and
I can't wait to get hold of it.

So I suppose you could call cleveland police issues small beer.
You 'could' but I wouldn't.

The Great Dictator

Not forgetting the £2m recovered from a house in Middlesbrough belonging to criminal Brian Charrington, i wonder how much of that found its way home ?

steveL

A good post Craig but before we rush into merging with another force I think I would like some assurance that the other force was any better. When you consider the West Yorkshire actions over Hillsborough and the recent suspension of the North Yorkshire Chief Constable, I for one start to wonder if there is any safe haven.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: testicles on November 08, 2012, 10: AM
Not forgetting the £2m recovered from a house in Middlesbrough belonging to criminal Brian Charrington, i wonder how much of that found its way home ?
A very odd case that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Charrington
It seems the man had very powerful friends in the police   

The Great Dictator

He sure did, a very well known one too...

mk1

mk1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-20347432

He made trips abroad, the necessity and expenditure of which have been questioned

He did not follow the force's corporate credit card policy, often failed to provide receipts, bought alcohol with it and spent money on items which were allegedly "not appropriate from the public purse"

In 2012 he obstructed a criminal investigation by refusing to provide access to information

In July 2009 he failed to declare a personal interest when he gave a reference for a post to an officer he was in a relationship with

In 2009 he did not report changes in his personal circumstances in accordance with force requirements

In October 2010 he provided false information to the media and public in relation to his personal circumstances

He failed to follow policy when he was involved in a collision while driving his force-owned vehicle in March 2009, by allegedly not reporting the incident or ensuring it was investigated.

tankerville

Would it not be better for the people of Hartlepool to ask for inclusion into Durham Police? after all Cleveland no longer exisits, we are technically part of Durham.

My driving licence details. West Hartlepool County Durham..

Happy Day's when coppers could be relied on to give yob's, a smack around the head or a quick size 10 up the backside. without fear of prosecution under Human rights, Children's act, etc, etc...

mk1

So they finaly got something to pin on fat Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-20357736

sounds like a dodgy  insurance claim to me...

brassed off monkey

Quote from: mk1 on November 16, 2012, 12: PM
All the details can be found here

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/gazettelive2/12%2010%2029%20Leadership%20panel%20Freedom%20of%20Information%20Act%20Appendices%209%20and%2010%20(2)%20(1).pdf

Interesting reading mk1, makes you wonder what the recruitment process at a certain organisation based in the south of the town & partly funded by the council is ?

testing times

Are Durham Police any better? I suspect not; which leaves all of us up Greatham Creek without a paddle.

marky

at some point, when this is all over, someone will issue a Press Release telling us that systems and procedures have already been put in place to make sure that this sort of thing never happens again.