Mayoral Referendum

Started by The Great Dictator, October 28, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

Let's face it - we're shafted either way but handing over power to the likes of Marge and the Akers-Belchers would be suicidal. These are the people who tried to find a way around the FOI Act to stop the Peer Review findings from even being published against the recommendations of the Peer Group itself - and then tell us of how transparent they are.
They are transparent but only in the way that we've all learnt to see through them.

The Great Dictator

Its a lot easier to get rid of Marge & co than it is Drummond.

You might remember Close and Lauderdale got rid of most of them in 2000 until the Mail opened the door for the monkey.

I tell you, if he wins in november he'll be here for another 11 years.

SRMoore

So who will PHF be putting forward as their mayoral candidate should the position be kept?

testing times

What happens if the turnout is so low that neither side can realistically claim to have the support of the public? For instance, suppose we have only a 5% turnout? I haven't found many people even remotely turned on by the Police Commssioner election.

testing times

Quote from: SRMoore on October 31, 2012, 01: PM
So who will PHF be putting forward as their mayoral candidate should the position be kept?
The way things are looking the town needs a bloody good accountant.

SRMoore

Quote from: testing times on October 31, 2012, 01: PM
Quote from: SRMoore on October 31, 2012, 01: PM
The way things are looking the town needs a bloody good accountant.

Shhhhh! You'll get Ged Hall, CAB and Iain Wright excited!

not4me

Quote from: testicles on October 31, 2012, 10: AM
Its a lot easier to get rid of Marge & co than it is Drummond.

You might remember Close and Lauderdale got rid of most of them in 2000 until the Mail opened the door for the monkey.

I tell you, if he wins in november he'll be here for another 11 years.
He would only be there for another 11 years if the people voted that way. Do you have a problem with that?

Julie noted

Its a lot easier to get rid of Marge & co than it is Drummond...........says testicles. Well you are entitled to your opinion Mr T but I don't think so.
Look at the money they pour into the labour voting heartlands, simply buying votes.  >:(
The manor crowd would never vote them out, they're all onto a good thing.  :(

It's a vote for the elected mayor for me and hopefully, a stronger candidate.

steveL

Interesting to see Carl Richardson walking the streets today posting anti-Mayor leaflets. The Tories are doing the same.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

craig finton

It wouldn't look right if the Mayor was producing his own leaflets so it looks like households will only be getting one point of view dropped through their letterboxes. The Tories nationally are encouraging more towns/cities to opt for elected Mayors but as usual the local Tories are following the local labour lead. The only real debate on the issue I've seen is on this site so perhaps its no surprise that it's being attacked. Makes a bit of a nonsense of labour's claim that the committee system is more democratic.

fred c

I hope " Peter " doesn`t know his Labour puppets are campaining against the Mayoral System....  he was ever so keen to see it implemented in the first place....

One of the reasons "The Mob" have decided against it, is that they have read the public mood about the present Mayor`s performance & Jumped on the Bandwagon & are hoping for a public backlash in getting shot of the position....

The other reason is of course obvious, they can do as they want under the committee system, change the constuitution, appoint commitee chairs , vote for each others pet projects ......... Pink Paper anything that might be a source of public concern......... etc etc etc

The Great Dictator

Tory HQ has told the local group to take a back seat over the mayor, Boris might have something to do with that ?

SRMoore

Quote from: testicles on November 05, 2012, 12: PM
Tory HQ has told the local group to take a back seat over the mayor, Boris might have something to do with that ?

Have they? That's news to the Deputy Chairman of the local Conservative Association.

steveL

. . . and news to Ray Akers-Belcher by the sound of it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Julie noted

"Makes a bit of a nonsense of labour's claim that the committee system is more democratic".
Well said, Mr Finton, you've hit the nail on the head. Democracy is the last item on THEIR agenda.  >:(

If we adopt what they laughingly call 'going back to what we had', this town would simply be more North Korea than North Korea!  :o
At least in North Korea you know the people at the top are screwing you. Here, they pretend to be 'of the people' and 'for the people' but all they want is access to unfettered funds to buy votes and line their pockets (allegedly).  :-X