The great unveiling.

Started by Inspector Knacker, June 22, 2018, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I have travelled what must add up to thousands of miles to see street/public art.

From back streets to see works by Vader to places like Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
I am no expert, just experienced.

I think the work at Seaton has no soul or presence.
It looks like it was made in a factory that pumps out street furniture.
It had more interest and intrigue when it was covered with blue sheeting.

I would be overjoyed to be in a minority with my opinion.
I hope it brings a lot of joy to a lot of people.

I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on June 23, 2018, 08: AM
I like it.  I like most art.  I also like the kids involvement and the fact that locals collected the sea glass that helped make it. 

I have no doubt that it will be vandalised but that's not he artists fault.  I also know people will knock it because that's 'what they do'.
So why didn't you just say that in the first place?
I think it looks like a rock shop sign without the words 'Rock Shop' and has no message whatsoever. Any piece of art that has to have a narrative disappoints me, such as the reference to the collection of glass. Take it to say Birminham and ask passers by what it signifies to them. I doubt the sea will be mentioned once.
No, I do not like it. That's my opinion. I'd rather the much maligned 'Watcher was there. But that's opinions, they differ.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Why didn't you say that in the first place instead of the sarcastic negative post you did ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on June 23, 2018, 09: AM
Why didn't you say that in the first place instead of the sarcastic negative post you did ?
Why not try countering 'sarcasm' with sarcasm, it's so much more grown up than juvenile expletives.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Sarcasm is more unpleasant in my opinion. 

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on June 23, 2018, 11: AM
Sarcasm is more unpleasant in my opinion.
If I was trying to teach a child not to go near the fire, I'd prefer sarcasm every time to telling them to  "keep away from the f*****g fire you gormlees t**t, it'll burn your b***** hand!!!!"

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Ok.  You win (sarcasm)

crisstw

I can't see how that sculpture is classed as art. It would be a fail if it was gcse in my opinion, it doesn't add anything to Seaton, it's located where only a few people walking by would see it. Totally pointless, waste of money. A sculpture for Seaton should be in one of the main tourist areas and be relevant to the area... ars*h**es the lot of them

Inspector Knacker

As a bathroom feature window  in a 1970's 'executive' home it would be cutting edge.

Disgruntled voter

It's art ? At first glance I assumed it was a giant airfreshner to combat the odour coming from the toilet block?  ...

Stig of the Seaton Dump

No sightings of Jay Jopling in the town yet.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

Does anyone know the cost?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on June 24, 2018, 10: PM
Does anyone know the cost?

Not sure about the final costings, but according to the Northern Echo, projections were that the artist could receive a fee of up to £20k with a further £10k available for design costs.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/14959072.Artists_wanted_to_create_sculpture_for_coastal_town/

Inspector Knacker

There are actual design costs :o? How much does a Spirograph cost nowadays?