Clavering Skate Spot - for info only

Started by steveL, October 08, 2012, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

RESIDENTS of Hartlepool are being urged to get on board and take part in the last month of an on-line vote to try to win funding for a "skate spot" on one of the town's estates.

Hartlepool Borough Council and Groundwork North East have joined forces to bid for money that is available as part of a national campaign - Transform Your Patch -run by soft drinks manufacturer Britvic.

Leah Remington, Groundwork North East's Programme Co-ordinator, said: "The "skate spot" proposal - a small-scale skate park suitable for BMX riders and skateboarders - has already been granted a small sum of money through the campaign, along with lots of other schemes around the country.

"However, it has now been put forward as a Transform Your Patch flagship scheme and as a result it has been included in the on-line vote. Should it top the vote in the region, then it stands to gain even more funding and this would enable us to enhance the proposed facilities."

The vote is running until the end of October, and people can vote for their favourite scheme once a day.

All they need is a Facebook account or e-mail address to vote on-line at http://www.transformyourpatch.com/vote?filter=north-east

The "skate spot" is to be created on the site of the existing play area at Clavering which popular with local families.  Early this year, rapper Fazer from the group the N-Dubz visited the Clavering site to help drum up support for the project. 

Fazer said: "When I was a kid I used to hang out at the skate park with my mates all the time - I even used to rap while they were showing off their tricks. That's why I think 'Transform Your Patch' is so cool. Skate parks are a really important part of the community because they give skateboarders and bmx-ers a place where they can come together, have a laugh and get practicing their skills. "

The Borough Council, Groundwork North East, the North Linear Park Steering Group and Clavering Residents Association are all currently working in partnership to improve the area and the creation of a "skate spot" is a key element of their master plan.

If you require further information or to arrange interview / imagery request please contact  Leah Remington Groundwork North East, 01642 815663/ 07803850659
leah.remington@groundwork.org.uk
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.