Mail Goes Weakly....?

Started by steveL, September 23, 2012, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Not a mention about the closure of the Sunderland printing plant on Saturday even though the front page had a whole column dedicated to the 55p price hike. Is the closure of its own printing plant not news?
It would be a brave man that opted to take out a subscription to a daily newspaper that looks like it's going to go weekly at any moment.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Julie noted

Just back from glorious Hols., and look at the weather here!  ::)

Isn't it wonderful how none of the usual labour rent-a-crowd have had nothing to say about the continuing loss of jobs at Johnson Press?  ???

You know, Johnson Press that (allegedly) gave succour to mandy and removed Harry Blackwood from his post as editor.

labour supporting Johnson Press sacking labour supporting employees.

If J.P. had been owned by an out and out Tory supporting management the screams from little Iain would be heard up here, all the way from Whitehall.

Politics really is a very dirty game, involving very dirty people.  :-X

marky

They're going to get a shock today. That 5p increase and today's weather will hit today's sales hard. I would guess that the price of a weekly paper will be even higher and today's 5p increase is, in part, to soften the impact of a much greater price hike. When it comes, that weekly paper is going to be full of generic content common to many other Johnston publications. 

fred c

The "Weekly Mail" may prove of value marky............ In the event of running out of soft toilet tissue, it could be cut into squares & used in the smallest room in the house......

On second thoughts...... Nostalgia`s not what it used to be.... The print ended up all over your A**e

Julie noted

Sorry, they don't do 'rock' in Venice.
A nice line in fridge magnets is all they have.
Oh, and Murano glass....and face masks....and coffee at £9 a cup in St. Mark's Square.  ???

Mind you, people are complaining about water levels here.......ALL of the streets are flooded over there!!  ;)

mk1

Whilst reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20395407

I found this  gem buried within:

Perhaps most disastrously, Johnston Press, one of the UK's largest newspaper groups, attempted to put some of its local newspapers behind pay walls in 2009 - only for the experiment to wither and die a few months later.

Their paying subscribers, it was reported, numbered in the tens.

for fawkes sake

I don't think we'll have to wait long before we're looking at a weekly Mail. A quick Google search reveals much of the current thinking within Johnston Press and of the dire financial position of the company. Money, or more accurately debt, is the driving force here and it makes the switch to a weekly publication inevitable. I would expect something to happen before the end of the financial year in March.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."