Ward budgets

Started by Nice, June 04, 2017, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice

Newbie here and starting my first thread so please be gentle with me :-)

Reading some on the net about how Manor ward Councillors back the annual free removal service each election time, sorry spring time :-) . This got me thnking ... is there any report/audit of exactly what each Councillor does with their budget . If I understand correctly its £4500 PA , not to be sniffed at !

SRMoore

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the last set of reports I know of which shows the ward member budget spending for the North and Coastal wards, including my own ward of Headland & Harbour.

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/3513/north_and_coastal_neighbourhood_forum/attachment/594

There should be a similar one for the South and Central wards listed somewhere on HBC website.

fred c

Hi.....welcome to the Post......Ward Budgets are misused on a regular basis, various councillors, usually members of the CAB Cabal often contribute to each others vanity projects, this time last year Lying Ste held his Rifty Fun Weekend on The Rec....... 11 councillors contributed to the funding of that weekend..... free hotdogs and burgers were on offer to those who attended.......

So Lying Ste, Mad Dog and Barcleeeee the Manor West councillors aren't alone in using council taxpayers money in bulling up their contributions to residents..... it really is time for ward budget funding to be done away with, the £145,500 per annum could be better spent on employing (for instance) 10 proper time served apprentices, or a major overhaul on Rossmere Park or Summerhill...... instead of, as at present buying votes.

Nice

Quote from: fred c on June 04, 2017, 03: PM
Hi.....welcome to the Post......Ward Budgets are misused on a regular basis, various councillors, usually members of the CAB Cabal often contribute to each others vanity projects, this time last year Lying Ste held his Rifty Fun Weekend on The Rec....... 11 councillors contributed to the funding of that weekend..... free hotdogs and burgers were on offer to those who attended.......

So Lying Ste, Mad Dog and Barcleeeee the Manor West councillors aren't alone in using council taxpayers money in bulling up their contributions to residents..... it really is time for ward budget funding to be done away with, the £145,500 per annum could be better spent on employing (for instance) 10 proper time served apprentices, or a major overhaul on Rossmere Park or Summerhill...... instead of, as at present buying votes.

Thats what I was thinking . I spotted an old Mail thing about how Manor House Councillor spent money just before elections providing free removals . As you say , 145K could do a lot of good if utilise properly

Nice

Quote from: SRMoore on June 04, 2017, 02: PM
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the last set of reports I know of which shows the ward member budget spending for the North and Coastal wards, including my own ward of Headland & Harbour.

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/3513/north_and_coastal_neighbourhood_forum/attachment/594

There should be a similar one for the South and Central wards listed somewhere on HBC website.

Thanks for the link

SRMoore

WMB's can be used or seen in two ways, Fred. You are correct that sometimes they can be seen as being used to 'buy voted' just before elections but at the same time they can also be used to fund very worthwhile schemes or initiatives.

Cllrs Thompson and Black used part of theirs last year to have a new defibrillator installed in Seaton and I have just helped to fund the siting of two defibrillators within my ward, working in conjunction with local residents and the Parish Council.

Our WMB's have been more than halved this year (not sure or exact figure) with the other money being diverted to covering the cost of lifeguards during the summer months. 

mk1

Ward Budgets are just petty cash for Councillors to distribute where it best helps them. Labour are arrogant enough to not care if it is obvious and UKIP are working to a pre-determined plan to do good works in the community to improve their image. If left to their own devices Hind and Springer would be spending their cash setting up Christian Outreach centres next to every Mosque. Beware Politicians bearing gifts...............especially when they are purchasing said gifts with your money.

fred c

Quote from: SRMoore on June 04, 2017, 05: PM
WMB's can be used or seen in two ways, Fred. You are correct that sometimes they can be seen as being used to 'buy voted' just before elections but at the same time they can also be used to fund very worthwhile schemes or initiatives.

Cllrs Thompson and Black used part of theirs last year to have a new defibrillator installed in Seaton and I have just helped to fund the siting of two defibrillators within my ward, working in conjunction with local residents and the Parish Council.

Our WMB's have been more than halved this year (not sure or exact figure) with the other money being diverted to covering the cost of lifeguards during the summer months.

Shane.........My explanation to 'Nice' was to enlighten him/her on the, what I personally consider the misuse of MWB's, I have absolutely no problem when Ward Budgets are used for the purpose for which they were originally intended, the De-Fibs that were championed by Cllrs Black and Thompson and those in your ward are examples, that have unfortunately not been followed by others.

The April Rubbish collection in Manor West was at one point brought to the attention of the Borough Solicitor, querying if it might prove to be an influence on the local elections, the use of councillors ward budgets for the Rifty Weekend whereby 11councillors contributed £4500 to fund the pet project of Manor and Foggy Furze councillors and Free Hotdogs and Burgers for people is not my idea of the proper use of council tax payers money........

It may be considered acceptable in the minds of some councillors to use council tax payers money on 'freebies' in their wards..... but to me, it is a reprehensible use of public money.

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on June 04, 2017, 07: PM

Shane.........My explanation to 'Nice' was to enlighten him/her on the, what I personally consider the misuse of MWB's, I have absolutely no problem when Ward Budgets are used for the purpose for which they were originally intended, the De-Fibs that were championed by Cllrs Black and Thompson and those in your ward are examples, that have unfortunately not been followed by others.

The April Rubbish collection in Manor West was at one point brought to the attention of the Borough Solicitor, querying if it might prove to be an influence on the local elections, the use of councillors ward budgets for the Rifty Weekend whereby 11councillors contributed £4500 to fund the pet project of Manor and Foggy Furze councillors and Free Hotdogs and Burgers for people is not my idea of the proper use of council tax payers money........

It may be considered acceptable in the minds of some councillors to use council tax payers money on 'freebies' in their wards..... but to me, it is a reprehensible use of public money.

Plus of course these councillors are spending money in other Wards instead of the Wards from which they were elected - I wonder if the residents are aware of that?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: gerek on June 04, 2017, 08: PM
Quote from: fred c on June 04, 2017, 07: PM

Plus of course these councillors are spending money in other Wards instead of the Wards from which they were elected - I wonder if the residents are aware of that?
That's because they're compliant underlings trying to please their leader and know where their place is.The Rifty Weekend Circus is probably baby the cultural highlight of the year for them.
Most residents probably aren't even aware of ward budgets excistence.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

jawsbbc

Owton Fens Community Association
(Rural Transport Scheme) 30.01.17 £1000 nice grand for cranneys baby from beck