PHF Wins Seaton By-Election

Started by admin, September 12, 2012, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

I'll just add my own congratulations to the new councillor Atkinson. I should think the win will give a useful boost at an important time. Had it not been for this by-election then May 2014 would have been the next elections which is a long time to keep a new party in the spot light. This win let's everyone know that the new party is still around and, from the result, appears to mean business.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

SRMoore

Thank you for your kind words Stig. Knowing that I made people, even those who would neve consider voting Conservative, think twice about where they allocate their vote means I did the job I set out to do. If we'd have just put up a paper candidate or one who would have gone into it half heartedly and possibly not meant what they said, do you think you'd have felt the same?

Again, thank you too Julie. A number of people in the past have suggested I stand as an independent or 'defect' to HF. The reality is that if I went independent I would be lying to people and be no better than some of the red indies people often criticise. Defecting to HF would also give the same image, that I'd only joined the band wagon to get elected.
At the end of the day I am a Conservative, a blue collar tory if you will. Everybody knows I'm Conservative and to pretend to be anything else would be lying to people. I'd rather be honest and keep battling on.

Apart from one or two run ins in my early days i have always tried to keep good relations with all parties and groups in the town. It's taken a while but I'd say I've made headway with UKIP and look forward to speaking to Tom & Dave more often. I've always got on with Steve L even if we don't see eye to eye on many things but I respect his opinions. Other members of HF are more frosty towards me I must admit. I deliberately made a point of saying hello to Geoff on Thursday only to be blanked and when I sat next to him and Tom he got up and walked off which I was understandably offended by. Maybe next time?

People can prophesise about the demise of the local Conservative party all they want but we aren't the oldest political party no reason. We have strong and committed grass root members who are now coming through the ranks, we can and will get back up and shift direction.

steveL

The Tories are the oldest party, Shane, because their roots lie in the Feudal system and the old Lords of the Manor. It was the Whigs (Liberals) who were the real believers in the 'free enterprise', laissez faire system of the Victorian Era and the original Labour Party who tried to tackle the injustices that came as a result.

The 19th Century Tories disliked the Whigs because the Whigs represented the 'new money' people who were largely industrialists and entrepreneurs. How things change.

Both the Tories and the Whigs hated the developing Labour party because it gave a voice to the underclass who they both thought should know their place - you only have to follow the Reform Acts to see that.

Incidentally, although The Mail says that Ann Marshall congratulated Kelly, it was only to The Mail that she could bring herself to do so. She couldn't quite bring herself to do so to Kelly directly and when the Labour people were asked why she had not done so they were told, by Mad Marge, I believe, that 'Ann Marshall should have won." You can't really argue with that kind of thinking.

One of the things HBC was criticised for by the Peer Review was the number of changes to the HBC consititution that had been made by the Constitution Committee, something which is extrememly rare within other authorities. I would think that it's a good bet that Mad Marge is now burning the midnight oil trying to find a way to change the constitution so that the person with the most votes doesn't necessarily win in future.  ;) 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

"....although The Mail says that Ann Marshall congratulated Kelly, it was only to The Mail that she could bring herself to do so. She couldn't quite bring herself to do so to Kelly directly and when the Labour people were asked why she had not done so they were told, by Mad Marge, I believe, that 'Ann Marshall should have won." You can't really argue with that kind of thinking."

miserables bas**ar*s...I've been trying to think of the right word ....... mean? petty? arrogant? or just nasty?...and came to the conclusion it was all 4

The Great Dictator

fred c

Belated Congratulations to Kelly.......well done....also a round of applause to the people who supported her....both fellow PHF members ....&....Most of all to the clear thinking voters of Seaton.......

Disappointed not to have been there.....would have loved to have been at the count....