Postal Vote Tampering

Started by steveL, April 23, 2015, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Probably for as long as this site has been running, there has been persistent talk of postal vote tampering, especially in Manor House. No one has ever provided us with any evidence but we've constantly been urged to 'look into it'. This isn't an easy thing for us to do given the closed loop involved. Personally, I've always assumed that there were Government guidelines surrounding the handling of postal votes which were rigorously applied but maybe I'm being a little complacent.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

There are guidelines from the electoral commission but they don't seem to cover what happens to postal votes after they have been posted. I'll have a trawl around.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/108485/Code-of-conduct-postal-vote-applications-England-Wales-2012.pdf

marky

Lord Elpus

Do I think Postal Votes are abused in Wards like Manor House, YES.  When I was a Member of the Labour Party a senior Councillor (now deceased) used to brag about it.

Can I prove it, NO.  Cllr Close knew it went on but again could not prove it.

fred c

I am taking a "Pen" to polling Station..... and using it instead of the Pencil usually provided..... I wouldn`t put anything past this shower of s***e.

beanzontoast

Elpus regardless whether interfering with postal votes can be proved I feel it your moral duty to explain how these votes can be interfered with, there are other political partys in this election who would like fair play.

fred c

You could always ask a UKIP Councillor to raise the issue with the monitoring officer.

steveL

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 23, 2015, 10: AM
Elpus regardless whether interfering with postal votes can be proved I feel it your moral duty to explain how these votes can be interfered with, there are other political partys in this election who would like fair play.

Then do something about it then. Or are you going to do what you usually do and let others do the work while the two of you sit there like bookends?

I've just read the guidelines provided by Marky which say that the postal votes, once verified, should be put into sealed ballot boxes. I would therefore really like someone to explain why they were carried into the count in plastic bags when Allan Barclay was elected in Manor House after Wilcox resigned.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

lynda

I was going to post ours today.But after reading this thread im not. On reading the statement that comes with it you can hand it in to any polling station in the electoral ward by 10pm on 7th May

lynda

It also says you must use a black pen. Does that mean if you use any other colour your vote is void. Or am I being naive

The Great Dictator

On a few occasions i remember Labour councillors getting more postal votes than votes on the day, i seem to recall one of them getting over 500 !

Hartlepudlion

Yes I think that it is a distinct possibility it goes on.
Certainly, the first year of postal voting saw Councillors going into the Civic with bag loads of postal votes. I believe that there was an internal investigation. They all got let off with a caution as it was the first year.

I can only suggest that everyone remains vigilant, particularly near care homes. If you see anything suspicious, take photos and call the police.

Not enough people present to see the sealing of the votes. It is up to you Councillors to make sure that you have enough invigilators present to ensure it is done properly.

fred c

Quote from: steveL on April 23, 2015, 10: AM

Then do something about it then. Or are you going to do what you usually do and let others do the work while the two of you sit there like bookends?

I've just read the guidelines provided by Marky which say that the postal votes, once verified, should be put into sealed ballot boxes. I would therefore really like someone to explain why they were carried into the count in plastic bags when Allan Barclay was elected in Manor House after Wilcox resigned.

If that happens on May 7th it should be a requirement of the monitoring officers remit to call the police to Investigate what would be a clear breach of electoral law

beanzontoast

You can rest assured UKIP will contact the monitoring officer for assurances.

Lord Elpus

'I feel it your moral duty'.  Your on dangerous ground there.

You look after your morals and leave me to worry about mine.  Although I must admit in having broken too many of the ten commandments.  But compared to the people we are discussing I'm a relative saint.