The twisted arm of the law?

Started by christine blakey, May 11, 2012, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notinshadow

May I advise that anyone in police custody should read the codes of practices, which you are allowed to have a copy of while in custody, as the book lets you know exactly what you are allowed or what to expect.

It's a shame that in Hartlepool custody, they seem to have many pages ripped or missing, which in itself is a poor show in my view.

I am not anti police, never have been, I am anti dodgy policeman/s and that's not the same thing.

Greg X

What's all the fuss about. Looks reasonable to me

Micksmate

Judging by the screams you would think he was having his arms tore out of their sockets, you can see worse things in the Infants schoolyard, what disappoints me is the way the Sgt and civilian worker allowed themselves to be drawn into this wind up, I just hope that the original charge he was out on bail on isn't dropped because "He has suffered enough".   Also judging by some of the comments is it any wonder this country is in such a mess.  "We are not supposed to have torture chambers as Police Stations".    "I had notice boards made at Holme House Prison under s restorative justice project.  They were supposed to be mounted in community spots in order to get information out to residents.  I asked the police if they could pick them up as I am sure that they would be going that way at times.  They agreed which I am grateful for but they then lost them! Again, whoever lost them should pay not us!"  (What a wonderful use of police resources.)      "I would sue them to teach them a lesson. If it comes out of our tax then so be it" (Another reason why we pay the third highest council tax in the country) Amazing, truly amazing.  When you put a person in a uniform, they don't have a micro-chip inserted to over-rule their emotions,  fears and phobias, they are human beings not machines.  Take a long hard look at what went on in this case and ask yourself "What would I have done"

notinshadow

Quote from: Micksmate on May 14, 2012, 10: AM
Judging by the screams you would think he was having his arms tore out of their sockets, you can see worse things in the Infants schoolyard,

That isn't the point though is it. The point is it is against the law and human rights to torture people and if they got away with it where do the police redraw the line.

Anyone remember Liddle Towers?

what disappoints me is the way the Sgt and civilian worker allowed themselves to be drawn into this wind up, I just hope that the original charge he was out on bail on isn't dropped because "He has suffered enough".

The guy origional was unhelpful, as he was ill and was asking to see a doctor.

Also judging by some of the comments is it any wonder this country is in such a mess.  "We are not supposed to have torture chambers as Police Stations".    "I had notice boards made at Holme House Prison under s restorative justice project.  They were supposed to be mounted in community spots in order to get information out to residents.  I asked the police if they could pick them up as I am sure that they would be going that way at times.  They agreed which I am grateful for but they then lost them! Again, whoever lost them should pay not us!"  (What a wonderful use of police resources.)      "I would sue them to teach them a lesson. If it comes out of our tax then so be it" (Another reason why we pay the third highest council tax in the country) Amazing, truly amazing.  When you put a person in a uniform, they don't have a micro-chip inserted to over-rule their emotions,  fears and phobias, they are human beings not machines.  Take a long hard look at what went on in this case and ask yourself "What would I have done"

Most sensible people wouldn't have done what they did..that's why the I.P.C.C. upheld the complaint.

christine blakey

I know of someone else who had a warrant out for their arrest, the offence: An outstanding parking ticket.  The person was digging their head in the sand having money worries, so had not paid it.  He actually did not realise that he had it either, due to mental health issues.

It could be the same in this case.  If the police in the first instance had become too assertive, again, it may be that the police had been heavy handed and so he may have lashed out.  I am not for one minute justifying the 'assault' on a police officer, but you never know, the treatment in the police station could have been so rough as pay back.

I have heard many stories about alleged abuse of those arrest and remember, they are innocent until proved guilty, but they may be really innocent.

Some people put the uniform on and seem themselves and invincible.  Even Special Police Constables can sit back and watch or roll their sleeves up and join in.

This is the boundary that needs to be asserted: Police should respect those arrested, those convicted and those who are in custody.  I can say in honest confirmation that I would empathise if police officers are innocently attacked at any level, I do not tolerate that.  However, it is the same with police officers who think they can abuse people 'with the long arm of the law' and those who cannot control their anger should not be in the force.  That includes those caught here on tape.

You have to ask yourself also, with this evidence on tape what happens when they are not being recorded.  Does the recording stretch to the cells?

In one case I am looking at, they have tried to refuse looking at the resording, saying that they cannot afford the resources to search tapes.  What does that tell you?  Luckily this person now has a Solicitor after I found out about this.

I suggest Greg X reads the job description and code of conduct that police are supposed to follow, then look at that tape.  If you look carefully at that tape recording and listen to the man on the television, the twisting of both arms can cause horrific pain, and I feel that is why the courts found in favour.  I am sure that if he was screaming for the tape, he would have been caught out with a medical assessment of the tape.  So wrong and I am glad that this has been publicised as police and custody staff may now think twice before doing this to others.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

you can see worse things in the Infants schoolyard

...that sums it up perfectly, the police officers were acting like 6 year old bullies and not professional adults.

The person arrested may have been an a-hole but that doesn't mean the police should go down to that level.

Remember we are paying them to act professionally and not like little kids trying to extort sweets in the schoolyard.

give us yer sweets or we'll twist yer arm off ...tell me if you've been drinking or we'll twist your arm off ....some bullies never grow up.
I don't believe it.

Julie noted

LlTa; The whole horrendous issue was illegal from the beginning, as the police entered your property and removed your personal property without a search warrant. End of.

Whatever followed is the police acting outside the law.
I suggest they purchase a new copy of PACE, they need to read those pages that are missing from their copy.

Good luck with your case....but keep your powder dry....don't put too much into the public domain on HTH.  :-X

Julie noted

LlTa; Forgive me for appearing thick but are you saying the magistrate that was on the bench for your trial had been in your garage/office and read the documents on the wall?

That being the case, he ought to have declared an 'interest' and taken himself off the bench, as he had prior knowledge of the case...for and against.

Or have I read it wrong?

christine blakey

I am not factually incorrect.

The private message was sent in order that details are not displayed on here, thus clogging up the site.

However, it is such that I must defend myself when you try to assert that I am making something up.  I actually thought that now you are experiencing similar circumstances to myself, you may see how destructive it is, attacking individuals on here.  Obviously not. 

PLEASE NOTE: Given you will not private message a response I DO NOT require a response to this on here, wide open and public.

Julie noted

Unbelieveable. A police sergeant accused of assaulting a teenager in Darlington police station and due to appear in court .........didn't turn up because he was offered and accepted a police caution!!! (without the courts knowledge!!!!!).  ???
What is going on in these police stations?

Chief constables always stick up for their officers and say it was a 'one off'......'unblemished record' and all of the other platitudes and yet we have case after case seeing the light of day.
How many are kept quiet?  ???

Like LlTa, we are being quietly cowed by those supposedly protecting us and those in charge appear to be simply supporting them.

christine blakey

Loads of issues with our Police Force sadly, very notable whe  we look at the current arrests and bail.

Maybe the best thing for us to do, is to unite together as then these matters would be sorted out once and for all?