A fascinating Case Study

Started by for fawkes sake, May 13, 2013, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

I was just thinking back to recent events and stories on this site and I can't help but conclude that we live in a very strange town. Just think for a moment:

• Cranney's most recent catastrophe - his failed mattress venture
  • The abolishing of supplementary questions
  • A councillor on bail for suspected theft and perverting the course of justice
  • Cllrs Hargreaves and Brash being pushed out of the Labour Party for defending the public's right to ask questions of their council
  • Cllr Hall telephoning the employer of someone after a question he had asked had made the councillor feel uncomfortable at an open council meeting.
  • Not one, not two but three mentions in a national magazine under the banner 'Rotten Boroughs'
  • HBC being criticised by a Peer Group of representatives from other local authorities
  • Attempts to suppress the Peer Group's findings
  • A public enquiry into councillors declaration of interests and the grant funding of local organisations
  • Awarding a £640,000 contract to an organisation run by two councillors without bothering to check the accounts of its parent organisation which has debts all over the place and routinely fabricates its accounts.
  • Councillors who either run community groups or are are Trustees of community groups illegally paying staff wages which are below the minimum wage - or no wages at all.
  • Councillors who are Directors of a CIC who allow it to fail to submit proper accounts or declare Directors payments.
  • Pay hikes for leading Councillors
Now wouldn't all of this make for a fascinating case study into the state of local Government in the UK?
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

marky

bloody 'ell......when you put it like that ...... makes you wonder what else is under the carpet

steveL

Quite a list when you put it like that. The mystery that I'm struggling with is the strategy of complete denial of responsibility that is going on. When you look at those pics of SAB in his regalia, not to mention the Teddy Bear, these two don't seem to see any connection between themselves or their council with the crumbling house of cards surrounding them.

Just a thought but, whatever Mr Mitchel comes up with, is it not the case that whether to 'accept' his report or not will be subject to a council vote? That will be an interesting one.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

norfolkngoode

Power corrupts, and that list makes them appear to be like some sort of local goverment junta.
Completely out of control. :o
'They don't like it up em'

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: norfolkngoode on May 13, 2013, 12: PM
Power corrupts, and that list makes them appear to be like some sort of local goverment junta.
Completely out of control. :o

Ah, but could it be that certain denizens of the Civic have been spotted leaving the sinking ship?  ;)

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/concern-over-rat-sightings-in-hartlepool-centre-1-5662595

Wilton

Do you think any of the people involved think they've done anything wrong?

If ignorance was bliss I suspect the civic centre would be the happiest place on earth on council meeting days.

Stevef

Quote from: Wilton on May 13, 2013, 04: PM
Do you think any of the people involved think they've done anything wrong?

If ignorance was bliss I suspect the civic centre would be the happiest place on earth on council meeting days.

Yes they know right from wrong, they just don't believe it applies to them. nor do they believe anyone should have the right to question or hold them to account.
You are what you do. It is what it does. Everything else is illusion or Delusion.