A sad conclusion.

Started by Inspector Knacker, May 26, 2019, 06: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I've finally had to admit to myself that a lot of people we elect are not the brightest stars in the system. Was it not always a case of the brighter elements overseeing the not so bright element to achieve some sort of equilibrium in governance and let the business of running a town proceed sensibly.
Over the past few years we've seen the rise, or should I say elbowing their way to the front, of the posturing talking head with the intellect of a tumble drier and the comprehension of a Neanderthal confronted with a smart phone.
Civic pride has given way to worship of self and odious self promotion, but most of all a lust for power. Party labels mean nothing, just a flag of convenience to ease the way to the top.
I was hoping things might change, but it's starting to look like we've just got a different but less flamboyant version of the same old inability to to see what was needed.
We've replaced dim with dim while the Party old guard with their irrelevant 'values' are the hacks in the background holding up progress.
We'll get nowhere, because it's all about them and the games they play.
What happened to principled people or are they put off by the cloying embrace of Party dogma.
It's like the bar scene in Star Wars meets a clowns conference.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Politics has been dumbed -down a lot recently but its a world-wide phenomenon and not  just a local issue. Ronald Regan was basically a vegetable at the end of his Term and Berlosconi  makes SAB look intelligent. At present the Right are running an 'anti-establishment' campaign where their leaders (like City Trader Farage) pretend to drink beer and be one of the boys . Labour and Tory politicians think eating a Gregg's sausage roll is the quickest way to the heart of the man on the Clapham Omnibus.
The solution is simple. We should all stop voting for people we know are dim rabble-rousers rather than support them because they advance our politics. Its our willingness to vote for people we know are charlatans that is the issue.  Vote for someone you know is honest and not in the pay of a special interest group that is dear to your heart.

Look up the full  original quote of Alcuin of York for the slogan Vox Populi, vox dei and see what he actually meant.

"Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit."

The  people who use it to validate their populists views seem unaware of how it says the exact opposite of what they think it says.
We live in a time of fools. Flat-Earthers, Anti-Vaxers, Moon Landings Hoaxers & Lizard People Illuminati believers used to be  derided but they are now 'respectable'. The Overton Window has been manipulated  by the Right and they have managed to add terms like  'Immigrants'. 'Muslims', 'Europeans' etc to the list of those who are to blame for all our ills.  So if anyone reading this says 'hey he is talking about me' then I hope it makes you reflect of your actions. Are you part of the problem?

This clip by Ownen Jones (who is as big a ti*t as the people he interviews and part of the mob who uncritically worship one man on the left) is disturbing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/may/25/a-bitter-and-divided-nation-owen-jones-goes-to-a-brexit-party-rally-video

Normal people but completely blinkered with no intention of any compromise and determined to force their solution on everyone else. The bloke if black near the end is clearly itching for a fight and note how these folk routinely dismiss any source that does not reflect their world view as 'fake news'.

Inspector Knacker

I don't think vacuous politics is the realm of the right, they're all at it. Party politics across the board has merely moved with the times and unwittingly dumbed down to reflect society. Frighteningly ignorant politicians who are ever more confident of their own ability unaware of the fact they really know nothing. Society has went from questioning to following the biggest noisy parade and society has actually never been more compliant. People are more inclined to be told what book to read, the thought process becoming more susceptible to the populism of the right, left or greens.
I heard a comment on the radio from a presenter expressing shock that the London climate protesters where to be prosecuted for their actions, they had broken the law. He argued that he he 'liked' what they stood for and because so many had been arrested it was obviously popular and they should be free from prosecution. Basically, if a large group of people break the law for a popular cause (with their section of society), it's ok. But, the law is the law and popularity should not raise anyone above it.
But it appears people believe everything is flexible to suit the popularity of the cause. A scary thought.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on May 26, 2019, 08: PM

I heard a comment on the radio from a presenter expressing shock that the London climate protesters where to be prosecuted for their actions, they had broken the law. He argued that he he 'liked' what they stood for and because so many had been arrested it was obviously popular and they should be free from prosecution. Basically, if a large group of people break the law for a popular cause (with their section of society), it's ok. But, the law is the law and popularity should not raise anyone above it.
But it appears people believe everything is flexible to suit the popularity of the cause. A scary thought.

Its no different from those who marched in Newcastle last week to get the law changed so serving soldiers could not be charged with murders they committed in Northern Ireland. You either condemn all special pleading or you are just inventing excuses why your special pleading is 'right' and their special pleading is 'wrong'.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on May 26, 2019, 08: PM
I don't think vacuous politics is the realm of the right, they're all at it. .
Probably. However I can find you newspaper articles where frustrated hard brexit journalists openly state there will be 'problems' unless they get their way

This is a couple of clippings joined together but it is an accurate depiction of the tenor of the hard Brexit argument

Can you provide any cutting where Remainers say there will be violence if they do not prevail?

The Yellow Vest movement in the UK is openly extreme-Right. Not only are the main organisers thick as pig-sh*it (check some of the spelling on their vests) but they openly gang-up on and threaten MPs they do not like. The Head-thug even stated he was going to 'send some lads round to your house' to a journalist he took exception to. The only Politician murdered in decades was killed by a Tommy Knobinson fan and only a week or two back a far-right Nazi was convicted of plotting to kill another female Labour MP. He had even bought the knives and wrote down what he was going to do with her head.

Inspector Knacker

The point I'm making is they all have their devious and not so devious ways of getting what they want. Threatening violence by knuckle daggers is the dumbest, but surest way to alinate the electorate. However, the smooth, apparently affable politicians with their chummy liberal values can be just as deadly to democracy.
I've been around too long to take ANYONE at face value in politics.