Who's avoiding answering questions?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, June 17, 2018, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

mk1

Can anyone remember the full story when SAB  tried the  same  tactics with Radio Hartlepool?

mk1

This is the Mail story about the scandal

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/police-called-over-hartlepool-mayor-s-row-with-radio-station-1-6866617

Monday 29 September 2014

Police called over Hartlepool mayor's row with radio station

HARTLEPOOL Mayor Stephen Akers-Belcher is at the centre of further controversy after a complaint was made to police by a radio station. It comes after his dismissal from his "day job" and calls for him to step down as mayor.
This latest development centres around complaints to police and the council about the behaviour of Labour Coun Akers-Belcher over UKIP parliamentary candidate Philip Broughton being invited to appear on Radio Hartlepool. The allegations came to light after a board meeting at the station's Raby Road base on Wednesday from which a director's report was leaked to the Mail. Complaints about Labour councillor Carl Richardson and Conservative councillor Ray Martin-Wells have also been made to the council and police. They follow discussions between the station and the council into ways of "working together for the benefit of the town".

A Radio Hartlepool statement said: "This matter has been reported to Hartlepool Borough Council and Cleveland Police. We feel it would be wrong of us to offer any further comment at this stage." A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: "Cleveland Police has received a complaint and will look into this complaint to establish whether any crime has been committed." This latest controversy will pour more pressure on the under-fire mayor, who is currently on a sunshine break in Mexico with his civil partner and council leader Christopher Akers-Belcher. Last week, we revealed the mayor had been sacked from his role as care manager with Newcastle City Council and had launched an appeal to clear his name and get his job back. A group of five councillors then called for an extraordinary meeting to discuss then mayor's future amid further criticism he left the country during what was described as a "political crisis" for the town. Councillor Akers-Belcher was sent an email about the situation and has seven days to respond before the council's chief executive Dave Stubbs has the option to call the meeting himself. Hartlepool Borough Council has approached all three councillors involved in the latest claims.  Coun Akers-Belcher, in a statement issued from his holiday in Mexico, said: "I am deeply saddened by the actions of Radio Hartlepool having been a huge supporter for many years and completely refute the accusations.  "My only contact was to advise them that they should not become political when they have worked so hard to become a valued non-political, community radio station." In a statement, Coun Richardson said: "I totally refute the allegations. "A key role for all politicians is to work with the media and forge positive relationships. "My conversation with Radio Hartlepool was simply part of my constant efforts to get people to work together in the best interests of the town." Coun Martin-Wells said: "I wholeheartedly refute the suggestion of any wrongdoing. "I offer advice and support to local residents and businesses on a daily basis and think this is a very important part of the role." A spokesman for the council said: "The council is currently giving consideration to areas in which it could work together with Radio Hartlepool for the benefit of the town. "However, the council must ensure that any expenditure with any media organisation is justifiable and represents value for money for local taxpayers."

And:

Calls for Radio Hartlepool row talks rejected by council chiefs

Wednesday 22 October 2014

CALLS for a discussion relating to interaction between councillors and Radio Hartlepool have been rejected by local authority executives. Opposition councillors had contacted Hartlepool Borough Council solicitor Peter Devlin to put forward a motion to discuss claims relating to the local authority and Radio Hartlepool. The controversy came to light when radio bosses contacted police to complain about the conduct of ceremonial mayor, Coun Stephen Akers-Belcher, Conservative leader Coun Ray Wells, and Coun Carl Richardson, deputy chairman of the council. In an attempt to have the radio row brought into the public domain, councillors Jonathan Brash, independent Labour, Putting Hartlepool First's David Riddle, Geoff Lilley, Keith Dawkins and Kelly Atkinson and independent Paul Thompson all signed a form asking for the motion to be tabled. The motion asked all councillors to offer full support to any investigations as well as calling for the three councillors to step down until matters with the radio station are resolved. But Mr Devlin has rejected their request after suggesting the motion was too similar to the one discussed at the extraordinary meeting held earlier this month where the future of the mayor was discussed following his sacking from Newcastle City Council. He also said that the police involvement was another reason why the motion could not be raised. A council spokesman said: "The council's chief solicitor has advised that the motion should not be accepted as it is substantially similar to the motion put to the extraordinary council meeting on Wednesday, October 13, and elements were raised at that meeting. "Also, because the police are presently looking into matters that relate to the motion, it should not be subject to council discussion at this time. This has been communicated to Councillor Brash." Coun Brash said: "Sadly there will be no motion at council on October 30 after it was blocked by the authority's chief solicitor. "He has informed me that legally I am not allowed to tell the public his reasons as to why a public motion, submitted by the public's representatives to a public forum cannot he heard by the public."

mk1

Remarkable to see the Local Conservatives riding to SABs rescue and a memory of earlier days when Jason was not busy on Facebook 'liking' every one of the Dear Leaders posts.

I am a bit hazy on the threats issued over the UKIP Election Leaflets can anyone fill in the details?

Inspector Knacker

A nice demarcation line there.
Why would any Councillor refuse a media interview?
Are they even capable of dealing with an interview?
Why can't they do an interview?
How would they fare in a public debate outside the Council Chamber?
Tells me all I need to know.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

The reports of the three Councillors comments about forging relationships with local media is absolute nonsense. Local media should not be there to cement friendly relationships with local politicians.
It comes over as hysterical disbelief that anyone should challenge their world view.
The media, like Yorkshire Terriers, may appear like compliant lap dogs, but can give you a nasty bite when you least expect it. The moral being, don't assume anything  or take anything for granted.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.